F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Time for a brake upgrade?
proTUNING Freaks

02-25-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
Time for a brake upgrade?

Background -
I've been working on the power side for some time and the car is putting down 463/533 AWD Dynojet right now. Pure800 turbo and Dorch ST2 hpfp are on order, so those numbers will go up in the near future.
I was doing some autocrossing a few weekends a year at a lower power level (406/426) and didn't have any issues with the standard non-M Performance brakes.
I expect my autocross activity to increase and I also have a trip planned to do a road course event later this summer after the turbo upgrade is completed. I'm feeling like the car might be overpowered for the stock brakes and I'd like to consider some upgrade possibilities.

A few questions-
What is the primary limiting factor on the standard brake kit- the rotors or the pads?
Are there any possible increases in performance by upgrading components of the standard kit, or would I need to upgrade to a full M-performance or big brake kit?
I see some serious price differences in the market - there are some Stop Tech kits which are much cheaper than the M-performance kits or Brembo kits. These are obviously lower end kits - would they represent an improvement in performance over my standard brake kit, or actually be a step down?
Thanks in advance, really just starting my education in the brake area.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 07:04 PM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Pads and tire grip are your limiters. The OE rotors are just fine for HPDEs. Lots of aftermarket rotors are single piece, and downgrades from the OE two piece ones.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 07:10 PM   #3
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Pads and tire grip are your limiters. The OE rotors are just fine for HPDEs. Lots of aftermarket rotors are single piece, and downgrades from the OE two piece ones.
Thanks! Can you recommend any performance pads that would provide additional braking performance?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 06:28 AM   #4
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 X-dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sµpreme View Post
Thanks! Can you recommend any performance pads that would provide additional braking performance?
I autox the same ride around 20 events a year or so and I have found that the DS Ferrodo 2500 is an awesome pad but its pricey. I only use them on the front. my rears are stock. We only start lapping in May here so I'll be trying the ferrodos first and if its not enough, switch to something else.

I hear good things about the PFC 08 for lapping events but i have never tried them.

make sure you use a high temp brake fluid.

have fun!

Last edited by brigade24; 02-26-2020 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: clarity
Appreciate 1
Supr3me551.00
      02-26-2020, 02:02 PM   #5
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

My car is running Stoptech Trophy front and Stoptech discs rear (currently with stock floating calipers).

Pads are Pagid RS4-2 front and Pagid RSL1 rear.

This setup handles track days/evenings, in relatively short stints (say 6 x 1.5 mile laps per time) but I'd go to a higher temperature pad if you need/want longer sessions.

OEM Brembo calipers are ok but nothing special. Pads and decent fluid make a huge difference to braking performance and fade-resistance. If you want to move to aftermarket brake kits my advice would be to stay away from cheap upgrades - "buy cheap; buy twice" as the saying goes.

If you choose Stoptech my strong advice is to make sure they are supplied with flat abutment plates. The stepped abutment plates make pad fit menu a PITA and he lack if any pad bounce-back has led to overheating and pad failure under normal road driving on my car.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
Supr3me551.00