F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 9.0 HU discussion
ARMA SPEED

01-16-2020, 11:16 AM   #2135
zorglubxx
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
Thx for that information
Unpacking the image with URTool is quiet simple, i made a fork for us here.
You just need to put your update into the same folder, rename it to android 9.zip and start the unpack_system_android9.bat batch file to get to the main apps.
Your tool works fine! I also found this one which unpacks correctly and has the option to repack. But I don't have a way to test if the resulting image works as I don't have my HU yet.
Appreciate 1
Kri1083.50
      01-16-2020, 03:06 PM   #2136
clineur
Rep
Drives: bmw e88

Hello,

Is it possible to update when the HU is rooted ?

I have thé 3.5.2 version and want to update to 3.8.0.

I tried it, got the message '' update available, but when i accepted, thé screen turned Black with the 'no signal'' message. Had to turn off and on, go to bmw side and turn off again. After that android loaded and the message '' update success poped up, although i m still in the 3.5.2 version.

I have the last mcu 11/19/2019 version and snapdragon 4g/64g lte version for bmw e88, replacing the 16/9e professionnel HU.

Thank you for your help
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 04:43 PM   #2137
nurif20
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Guys i updated on 3.8.0 and the newest mcu. But since then i have a sound problem. I need to go into volume settings and press the volume bar and the sound gets louder without turning the bar to max. Its at 30 and if i just touch it it gets to the normal sound.

Is this a mcu bug ? It seems to me like the new mcu has a sound bug
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 05:43 PM   #2138
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorglubxx View Post
Your tool works fine! I also found this one which unpacks correctly and has the option to repack. But I don't have a way to test if the resulting image works as I don't have my HU yet.
You're correct. SUR tool was created to address issues with unpacking and repackaging Android 9 ROMs. It also has built in deodexer so might be useful with this case. But like I said before, my knowledge of modifying apps and roms is very basic so I won't be helpful here
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 06:26 PM   #2139
gauchodan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
1 - My Date / Time never seems to sync right ( I agree with that )
2 - The music app will play any songs you copy to its internal memory or from USB.. You can also remove the songs or link that to a diff app like spotify
3 - I dont seem to have any dimming issues, If headlights are on it dims and if they are not its brighter.
4 - Carplay seems to work fine, Somtimes I just have to fiddle with it but mostly its fine and autostarts
5 - I havent messed with the logo stuff
6 - Would be cool to remove the Android Logo on boot but not a deal breaker
7 - Agree I wish it was in gallons not liters and that MPH is way way off, Says like 125mph when im doing 75mph
8 - Blue Anti Glare - I also ordered black and got blue, I feel black doesnt even exist because many others said the same.

For me ( I had a 6.5" without Bluetooth audio ), I gained wireless carplay and a much nicer big screen... The android apps
and custom stuff is neat but mostly im in Carplay and just love that I now have full navigation, wireless streaming audio amd
a much nicer screen.

The most major complaint I have is the sound quality is a little worse, I have HK Audio with and I notice it.. The latest 3.8 software
appears to have made it a little better and if we can just find a way to leverage the internal DSP or get Viper4Audio or something to
work that maybe resolved as well..

2. My issue is that there's no main iDrive screen on the android side where I can see music, car info, etc. It needs to launch elsewhere and out of the 'native' iDrive.

Totally agree that this is an upgrade and when it works it's great. Passengers assume it's OEM. If audio is really bugging me I can always plug into the armrest via USB and still use carplay.

Question - is updating to 3.8 an OTA update I do from the settings or do I need to put a file on a thumb drive?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 07:19 PM   #2140
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchodan View Post
2. My issue is that there's no main iDrive screen on the android side where I can see music, car info, etc. It needs to launch elsewhere and out of the 'native' iDrive.

Totally agree that this is an upgrade and when it works it's great. Passengers assume it's OEM. If audio is really bugging me I can always plug into the armrest via USB and still use carplay.

Question - is updating to 3.8 an OTA update I do from the settings or do I need to put a file on a thumb drive?
You just copy the .zip file to a USB root, Plug in your USB port and start the car.. It will recognize the file and ask to upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 07:38 PM   #2141
Kostisuk
Rep
Drives: Bmw e64

Hello. I just installed an android 9 snapdragon from andream in my car.

I read here about the updates. My mcu is LZH 190812
My version is 2.8.3

I already updated to the latest version that i downloaded from here 3.8.0

Should i also update my mcu ?
What improvements come with the upgrade of MCU . Better sound quality in the latest MCU ?
Thank you

Also the sound problem where spotify is low volume if the native music app hasnt been opened before, i think it didnt exist in 2.8.3. Am i right or it was my idea ?

Last edited by Kostisuk; 01-16-2020 at 08:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 07:53 PM   #2142
lehtee
Private
Rep
Drives: F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurif20 View Post
Guys i updated on 3.8.0 and the newest mcu. But since then i have a sound problem. I need to go into volume settings and press the volume bar and the sound gets louder without turning the bar to max. Its at 30 and if i just touch it it gets to the normal sound.

Its firmware bug, not mcu. I updated firmware from 2.8 to 3.8 and it appeared,no MCU update for my vendor available.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 11:23 PM   #2143
nurif20
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehtee View Post
Its firmware bug, not mcu. I updated firmware from 2.8 to 3.8 and it appeared,no MCU update for my vendor available.
Does the workaround with tasker to restart mediaapp will be enough for now.? Until a fix with update will be released
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 12:44 AM   #2144
franbass
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Quote:
What do you enter and which exact error message do you get on your PC ?

Kri
The error shows in the android side, I tried one more time changing the app, now I'm using SHEL TERMINAL EMULATOR, and the erros doesn't show after I enter the commands. I can't to connecto via ADB yesterday for check. This afternoon I'm going to connect and disable toolbar.

After I enter the commands, the screen works no well, I have a sound problem, I need to go to volume settings for normalize volume, if I don't do that, the sound is too loud.

Also, if the screen switch on in the OEM side, when the android side end up to load, automatically change to the android side

I am in 3.8.0 version, I think in"upload" to the same version to try to solve the problem, what do you think about that? Does the problem will be solved uploading with the same version? Do I try to load a new factory config?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 01:25 AM   #2145
nurif20
Enlisted Member
Rep

By the way guys you can play your spotify music in OEM Side too

You just need the same Account from Spotify on your smartphone and you need to enable on the android Spotify settings enable the control with other devices.
When you switch into the OEM Side the Music will stop and then you just start with your smartphone Spotify and press Play. Now you will hear the music on OEM Side.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2020, 02:23 AM   #2146
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by franbass View Post
The error shows in the android side, I tried one more time changing the app, now I'm using SHEL TERMINAL EMULATOR, and the erros doesn't show after I enter the commands. I can't to connecto via ADB yesterday for check. This afternoon I'm going to connect and disable toolbar.

After I enter the commands, the screen works no well, I have a sound problem, I need to go to volume settings for normalize volume, if I don't do that, the sound is too loud.

Also, if the screen switch on in the OEM side, when the android side end up to load, automatically change to the android side

I am in 3.8.0 version, I think in"upload" to the same version to try to solve the problem, what do you think about that? Does the problem will be solved uploading with the same version? Do I try to load a new factory config?
you don`t need to do anything beside looking for the IP adress on the Android Unit ! , please read the documentation again.

for sound issue you need to do the tasker workaround, look at Post 1 of this thread.

Kri
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 02:31 AM   #2147
akirax
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurif20 View Post

I've this problem too, already explained here before.

What version of android/mcu did you've before update?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 03:08 AM   #2148
franbass
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
you don`t need to do anything beside looking for the IP adress on the Android Unit ! , please read the documentation again.

for sound issue you need to do the tasker workaround, look at Post 1 of this thread.

Kri
The PC didn't found the android ip, for that, I'd to set the port tcp.ip 5555 following the guide. To "open" or "set" this port we need a terminal app in the android system.

Ok, I'm going to do that, thank you so much Kri!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 03:11 AM   #2149
franbass
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akirax View Post
I've this problem too, already explained here before.

What version of android/mcu did you've before update?

Cheers.
I didn't update the device. My problema shows after to load a commands with a terminal emulator.

I'm going to update with currente version I have to (3.8.0) because it had working properly before the commands load
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 03:17 AM   #2150
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by endursa View Post
It could be that the system is odex (meaning the resources are precompiled at first boot after flash) this leads to not being able to replace system apks without deodexing the whole rom. But my android moding days where mainly with android prior to android 9, so no idea who this would work with android 9.
If i got time i will look into this after work, first i need to setup my environmeht to unpack the rom images, cause as i saw in a quick check they are now packed in an ext4 file format
So if I understand this correctly, best way to approach this would be unpack the update, deodex all, mod an app, zipalign, sign, reodex everything, repack update and install as you normally would?

What is confusing me a lot is the fact when you unpack update file, go to system/app and check a random app, there will be an apk file and a folder containing odex and vdex files. odex is precompiled file that replaces classes.dex for quicker boot etc. right? So why these folders contain both odex files and classes.dex files in app packages?

And why the app I'm most interested in modding doesn't contain any odex and vdex files in its folder?

Apologies for my ignorance and perhaps stupid questions, but I'm trying to learn something here.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 03:24 AM   #2151
endursa
hardware modder
Rep
Drives: BMW f20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedErik View Post
So if I understand this correctly, best way to approach this would be unpack the update, deodex all, mod an app, zipalign, sign, reodex everything, repack update and install as you normally would?

What is confusing me a lot is the fact when you unpack update file, go to system/app and check a random app, there will be an apk file and a folder containing odex and vdex files. odex is precompiled file that replaces classes.dex for quicker boot etc. right? So why these folders contain both odex files and classes.dex files in app packages?

And why the app I'm most interested in modding doesn't contain any odex and vdex files in its folder?

Apologies for my ignorance and perhaps stupid questions, but I'm trying to learn something here.

the procedure would be correct, with one exeption: I am not sure if you would need to use lucky patcher to disable signature verification anyways if you wanna have a reodex rom, because i would asume you don't have the original signature key. The other option is to not reodex the rom, and let it precompile after flashing (would take a looooong first boot, but works similar to preodex) this is what i am not sure about concerning android 9.

The reason an apk and an odex file is present is, that the odex file only contains the classes.dex information present inside the apk file, the rest of the resources and precompiled xml file stuff is still uesd from the apk file.

This is also the reason one can usually swap out png assets without running into the issue of odex/de-odexing.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 03:38 AM   #2152
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by endursa View Post
the procedure would be correct, with one exeption: I am not sure if you would need to use lucky patcher to disable signature verification anyways if you wanna have a reodex rom, because i would asume you don't have the original signature key. The other option is to not reodex the rom, and let it precompile after flashing (would take a looooong first boot, but works similar to preodex) this is what i am not sure about concerning android 9.

The reason an apk and an odex file is present is, that the odex file only contains the classes.dex information present inside the apk file, the rest of the resources and precompiled xml file stuff is still uesd from the apk file.

This is also the reason one can usually swap out png assets without running into the issue of odex/de-odexing.
Many thanks for this clarification, and yes, I hear that Lucky Patcher is necessary step here as all rom / ksw apps are signed with the same key - SharedUserID thing etc.

However you say if one was to replace only png resources this whole odex issue wouldn't be a problem. This is exactly what I'm trying to do i.e. replace few pngs and couple of xml files. The problem is, when Kri (just to test things out) deleted launcher apk, system still booted up with, well, all launcher stuff present. So this would mean that resources are also precompiled and stored elsewhere?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 04:10 AM   #2153
Kostisuk
Rep
Drives: Bmw e64

In my unit the non saving equalizer and volume bug didnt appear with the 3,8 update. But I didnt update the mcu in fear of this bug.

Sound quality is pretty bad(i have HK system) in spotify and in android unit in general. Any settings you use to improve it ?
Will an MCU update have any impact on sound quality ?
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 04:51 AM   #2154
seaman5705
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostisuk View Post
In my unit the non saving equalizer and volume bug didnt appear with the 3,8 update. But I didnt update the mcu in fear of this bug.

Sound quality is pretty bad(i have HK system) in spotify and in android unit in general. Any settings you use to improve it ?
Will an MCU update have any impact on sound quality ?
Thank you
Disconnect AUX port in armrest .
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 05:04 AM   #2155
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertiger View Post
Thanks in advance!
BTW I have cut chinese quadlock adapter and connected my Android HU directly to CID header.
I have combox installed, so quadlock's aux pin is not used
Others CAN and Power are present on CID connector
More over - CID connector has 30g signal, which is going down at 30 minutes of car sleep.
This makes me more confident in CAR battery life and I can remove and install HU in 2 minutes
Can you give some more information about cables and colors ?
Which cable is power, which is can low and which is can high?
Also after doing this mod does the oem system thinks that the original CID is connected and allow coding or not showing that CID is missing?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 05:27 AM   #2156
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by koutsouk View Post
Can you give some more information about cables and colors ?
Which cable is power, which is can low and which is can high?
Also after doing this mod does the oem system thinks that the original CID is connected and allow coding or not showing that CID is missing?
I'm interested myself, however I don't think this would sort CID issue. CAN is like LAN network - doesn't matter where in the network you have your device plugged in. As long as it's connected it will show up. Same with CAN, you would need to emulate CID to get rid of this error.
Appreciate 0