F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > FBO F30 335i Q&A
GetBMWParts

02-19-2020, 11:25 AM   #1
CitrinF30
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i xDrive 8AT

FBO F30 335i Q&A

Hey guys, got a 2015 335xi not to long ago, did coilovers and wheels now getting into engine.

I'm going to be going FBO
(DP, CP, Intake & GFB DV+) Correct me if there's anything else I need...

I'm wondering whether I should go with BM3, JB4 or MHD, these are the popular choices I've been seeing. What kind of numbers could I expect with this setup running purely on 94 Pump octane?

Thanks in advance, any input appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 12:50 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

1. Skip the intake and GFB DV+ (at least initially) and definitely get an intercooler. You don't need either of those for FBO. Intake is basically noise only. Get a dry drop-in filter and keep stock intake. GFB DV+ is nice (turbosmart is another option), but a pain to install unless you are already doing turbo swap, inlet pipe, etc. Basically, IC+CP+DP is "FBO" and what the tunes "require" for stage 2/2+.

2. Definitely not JB4. You will hear both sides of the BM3 vs. MHD debate. To sum it up very simply - MHD is much more of a set it and forget it, its user friendly, and it just works. BM3 more frequently updates, may squeeze out a little more power, but the tradeoff is that the OTS tunes don't always work right on the first iteration. There is a very real chance you will have to spend time troubleshooting, logging, etc, with BM3 - everything from getting the the tune to flash to getting the tune to run right. The choice is yours. Or get a custom tune if you really want to get every ounce of power out of your setup.

3. Dont even worry about the numbers, it's a pointless game to play. Just pick MHD, BM3, or custom depending on your goals for the car and select appropriate hardware mods to support those goals.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2020, 12:56 PM   #3
CitrinF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
1. Skip the intake and GFB DV+ (at least initially) and definitely get an intercooler. You don't need either of those for FBO. Intake is basically noise only. Get a dry drop-in filter and keep stock intake. GFB DV+ is nice (turbosmart is another option), but a pain to install unless you are already doing turbo swap, inlet pipe, etc. Basically, IC+CP+DP is "FBO" and what the tunes "require" for stage 2/2+.

2. Definitely not JB4. You will hear both sides of the BM3 vs. MHD debate. To sum it up very simply - MHD is much more of a set it and forget it, its user friendly, and it just works. BM3 more frequently updates, may squeeze out a little more power, but the tradeoff is that the OTS tunes don't always work right on the first iteration. There is a very real chance you will have to spend time troubleshooting, logging, etc, with BM3 - everything from getting the the tune to flash to getting the tune to run right. The choice is yours. Or get a custom tune if you really want to get every ounce of power out of your setup.

3. Dont even worry about the numbers, it's a pointless game to play. Just pick MHD, BM3, or custom depending on your goals for the car and select appropriate hardware mods to support those goals.
Okay thanks for the advice, had heard that a FMIC upgrade was a good idea.. have been looking at the CTS turbo one, along with there DP & CP
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2020, 10:06 AM   #4
T5viggen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrinF30 View Post
Okay thanks for the advice, had heard that a FMIC upgrade was a good idea.. have been looking at the CTS turbo one, along with there DP & CP
I have their CP and DP, and both were great with fit and finish.
      02-20-2020, 11:05 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Hey guys, got a 2015 335xi not to long ago, did coilovers and wheels now getting into engine.

I'm wondering whether I should go with BM3, JB4 or MHD, these are the popular choices I've been seeing. What kind of numbers could I expect with this setup running purely on 94 Pump octane?

Hi,
you are missing an intercooler from your list. i recommend a 6"+ size for the stage 2 application.

the Jb4 is the best piggyback option, Bootmod3 is the best flash in my opinion. Each one has its pros and cons.

Your numbers will depend on your tune. From what i see online, MHD out of the box maps provide the least gains.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2020, 11:09 AM   #6
CitrinF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:

Hi,
you are missing an intercooler from your list. i recommend a 6"+ size for the stage 2 application.

the Jb4 is the best piggyback option, Bootmod3 is the best flash in my opinion. Each one has its pros and cons.

Your numbers will depend on your tune. From what i see online, MHD out of the box maps provide the least gains.
Yeah, have decided that I'm going to go ahead and get the CTS Turbo FMIC
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 11:10 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:

What's the reason with picking CTS over the other brands?

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 11:13 AM   #8
CitrinF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

What's the reason with picking CTS over the other brands?
Honestly the initial reasoning was that's who I was going to get my CP, & DP through.. saw they sell a direct upgrade FMIC so researched it, seems to be talked positively about and CTS in general has good reviews from what I've seen.

Any others you'd recommend over?

Still probably the most stuck on what tuning platform I'll use.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 11:16 AM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Honestly the initial reasoning was that's who I was going to get my CP, & DP through.. saw they sell a direct upgrade FMIC so researched it, seems to be talked positively about and CTS in general has good reviews from what I've seen.

I dont want to derail the thread so i wont mention specific brands

That being said, in my opinion there are better intercoolers out there with better cooling, pressure air drop, lighter weight,etc...

Last edited by mike@x-ph.com; 02-20-2020 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #10
CitrinF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I dont want to derail the thread so i wont mention specific brands

That being said, there are better intercoolers out there with better cooling, pressure air drop, lighter weight,etc...
Okay fair enough, I'll have to look into some others and closer at gains/ efficiency between them.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 01:08 PM   #11
cjlane
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Okay fair enough, I'll have to look into some others and closer at gains/ efficiency between them.
You can shoot Mike a PM and he will get you set up right.
2014 F30 335i xDrive 6MT - Pure Stage 2 GFB DV / Inlet | XDI-35 HPFP | Fuel-It PI w/ AIC and LPFP Upgrade | BM3 | Fabspeed Catted DP | Dinan axle back | VRSF Race FMIC/CP | Dinan CAI | KW V3 | Wiechers CF strut bar | Dinan ARB | Spec stage 2+ clutch SMFW | Full M Performance Interior | M Performance BBK | Vorsteiner VFF107 MPS4S | Jordan Tuned Full E85 - 558WHP/520TQ on Mustang Dyno
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 02:51 PM   #12
TR-8R
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 13' 335xi M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlane View Post
Quote:
You can shoot Mike a PM and he will get you set up right.
I've been running CTS FBO for the last few years, I have never had any issues. Just know for the price, their fitment/finish is top quality.