F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Retrofit 5DP Parking Assistant
GetBMWParts

10-19-2015, 08:53 AM   #1
KKS
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: SO M4

Smile Retrofit 5DP Parking Assistant

Finally got around to writing this up.

I did a fair bit of research using online parts diagrams (real OEM) and Rheingold for the wiring diagrams. The most difficult part is making the wiring harness and extending the existing wiring harness.

Also note if your car already has PDC, the new PMA unit will now control the PDC sensors as well so they will need to be rewired from the REM module to the PMA.

Here’s all the parts needed to do it:

PMA UNIT
1 x 66336864898 – Control Module (PMA)
1 x 66336854515 – Bracket for PMA (No needed if you have trailer hitch)
2 x 16131176747 – plastic nuts to secure PMA holder
2 x 61138364666 – PMA connector housing
2 x 61138364662 – PMA connector cap (this part doesn’t really fit but it’s as close as I could find, you have to break off a tab on it to secure the plug in)
8 x 61130005197 – PMA connector pins (these come crimped onto cables already)

PMA SENSOR
2 x 66209317887 – PMA sensors front (part no. is for B50, pick right p/n for your color)
2 x 66206923000 – rubber grommet for PMA sensors
2 x 61136925599 – Connector housing for PMA sensors
6 x 61138353705 – Pin Grommets for PMA sensors
6 x 12527545857 – Pins for PMA sensors

WIRING HARDWARE
20-30 metres of 0.5mm cross section wire. Preferably different 3-4 colors for ease of identification (I made do with 2)
1 x 61131378906 – Power pin for rear fuse box
1 x 61131387140 – Ground pin for rear chassis

TOOLS
Soldering gear
Molex Crimp Tool – I used the one I had from making custom PC cables
Knipex Stripper – highly recommend one!
Tesco Cloth Tape – for OEM look and finish

Sensor Install

Take your front bumper off (plenty of guides out there). There will be a X marked where you need to drill for the PMA sensor right above the Sideview Camera (if you have it). Drill from the inside out using a 18mm step drill bit. It’s very soft plastic so super easy to drill.

You’ll need to pull off the existing bracket glued to the bumper to drill the hole, replace adhesive with some 3M VHB tape.

Wiring

Make sure you know which wire corresponds to which pin on the sensor.
Run the wire from the sensor up to the firewall on each side of the car. This is quite tricky in the F8X due to the strut brace which will need to be removed. Follow the path of the cable for the sideview cameras.

Once in the car, route the left sensor wire across the carpet along the front to the right hand side to join the cable from the right sensor. Run this along the carpet under the B billar(sedan) and through to the boot, next to C pillar.

Power

The power for the PMA unit will need to be sourced from the rear fuse box. Connect the power pin to a free slot in the K15 (switched power) block under the fuse box. BMW recommends F146 but mine was used already so I used another one.

Ground

The recommended grounding place for the PMA is the block right under the rear right seatbelt. Connect the pin to a free slot on this block

PMA sensor wires

The PMA sensors share a power and ground cable with the front parking sensors. With the clip facing down, the middle wire is the signal wire, left the ground and right is the power. With the 6 cables routed to the back of the car. The 2 power wires join together with the front PDC power wire. The 2 ground wires join together with the front PDC ground wire. And the middle signal wires go into the respective pins on the PMA unit.

REM unit

Each signal wire for the existing PDC sensors need to be removed from the REM plug and rewired into the PMA unit. There are 8 in total (4 front and 4 rear). The power and ground for the front and rear sensors also need to be moved (4 in total). So 12 pins need to be extracted!
The connector block with all the pins is in A174*14B this is the longest block of plugs on the REM (brown plug). The pins that need to be removed are:
36 – ground
37 – ground
38 – rear centre right (needs to be extended to reach the PMA unit)
39 – rear outer right (needs to be extended to reach the PMA unit)
40 – front centre right
41 – front outer right
48 – power front sensors
49 – power rear sensors
50 – rear outer left (needs to be extended to reach the PMA unit)
51 – rear centre left (needs to be extended to reach the PMA unit)
52 – front centre left
53 – front outer left

2 wires need to be added to connect the REM to the PMA unit. These are the K-CAN wires and ideally, they should be a twisted pair. They go into pins 29 and 44 on the same REM plug.

PMA unit

There are 2 plugs that go into this unit, 2B and 1B. Refer to the picture to see which one. Basically if the wires point towards the right, 2B is left connector and 1B is the right connector.

1B:
2 – 36 from REM
3 – 48 from REM
4 – Power from rear fuse box
10 – PMA sensor right
11 – PMA sensor left
12 – 52 from REM
13 – 40 from REM
14 – 41 from REM
15 – 53 from REM

2B:
2 – 49 from REM
5 – 37 from REM
11 – connect to 29 on REM
12 – connect to 44 on REM
13 – 39 from REM
14 – 38 from REM
15 – 51 from REM
16 – 50 from REM

Programming

If you have a new PMA control unit, you will need to program the module with the version of psdzdata you have. This is done the same way as you would if you were upgrading your ECU modules with the latest psdzdata. TAL-processing.

Coding
Lastly, you need to add 5DP to your VO and VO code the following modules:
EPS
EGS (not needed on DCT cars)
DSC
FEM
ICM
KOMBI
HU-NBT
REM

And you’re done! When I first tested this, I realised I’d wired some sensors wrong. Just make sure you connect to the right pins and all should work.
Next up is to see if it’s possible to install 2 additional rear PMA sensors to make perpendicular parking work (like on the F30LCI). The pins are already available on the PMA control unit 17&18.
Appreciate 3
      10-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #2
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Nice job!

How much was the PMA2 unit? I really wish I took this option on my F23 and F30 LCI as it's only $400.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 09:42 AM   #3
KKS
Private
Australia
Rep

All up it cost me around 700 USD. Most of the cost are the sensors. Definitely cheaper to option it when new.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 02:08 PM   #4
sprockie
Private
Rep
Drives: 320D

My picked up last Friday my new bmw F30. I have the options:
Surround view
Rear/front PDC
Rearview camera
Active cruise control
Lane change warning(blind spot detection)
Speed limit info
HUD

Do you think I can code the parking assistant? Or do I need the servos for the steering wheel to turn?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 05:00 PM   #5
KKS
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockie View Post
My picked up last Friday my new bmw F30. I have the options:
Surround view
Rear/front PDC
Rearview camera
Active cruise control
Lane change warning(blind spot detection)
Speed limit info
HUD

Do you think I can code the parking assistant? Or do I need the servos for the steering wheel to turn?
If your car is not xdrive, you won't need servos for the steering wheel as it's already in there. You will however need to fit the sensors and PMA module like I did as PDC alone doesn't have the required hardware.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 10:11 PM   #6
KKS
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockie
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKS View Post
If your car is not xdrive, you won't need servos for the steering wheel as it's already in there. You will however need to fit the sensors and PMA module like I did as PDC alone doesn't have the required hardware.
Is their a way in Esys to find out if I have the PMA module? Because in the back of the car I also have some sensors for blind spot detection.
The blind spot sensors are different. The only extra sensors needed for parking assistant should be above your side view cameras in front of the front wheels. If it's not there then you won't have the PMA ecu. You can confirm in esys by looking at the list of codeable ECUs.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #7
sprockie
Private
Rep
Drives: 320D

Quote:
The blind spot sensors are different. The only extra sensors needed for parking assistant should be above your side view cameras in front of the front wheels. If it's not there then you won't have the PMA ecu. You can confirm in esys by looking at the list of codeable ECUs.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 12:32 PM   #8
VadikT
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: BMW 316i (F30)

Hello!
thanx for nice and clear instructions!!!!
Concerning photo:
- what is laying in plastic bag?
- (left top coner) plastic nails - for what purposes they are needed?

Last edited by VadikT; 10-24-2015 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 10:18 PM   #9
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Nice job! Looks like I took too long to finish mine up, I'd been working on this since last year but got busy with work/life and just finished it on my car, and was working on my write-up when I came across yours.

One question(may be related to x-drive vs non) was how did you not have to replace the DSC Pulse Generators that go to the Front wheels? I had to replace these on mine as I did not have the ACC feature, and per Realoem, those need to be changed as the part #'s are different for cars with ACC or Park Assist. EDIT: Found the reason. M3/M4 only have one type of pulse generator for the front wheels. Non-M3/M4 cars require the replacement of this part.

Last edited by roxxor; 12-12-2015 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 09:34 PM   #10
hkgans
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 118i, G20 320d

Hi all,

Thanks KKS for the detail on this retrofit, I have finished the 5DP retrofit on a F20, its working great

Now I would like to know if anyone successfully convert this to support perpendicular parking and auto-PDC?

"...Next up is to see if it’s possible to install 2 additional rear PMA sensors to make perpendicular parking work (like on the F30LCI). The pins are already available on the PMA control unit 17&18..."

I have tried replacing the PMA ECU from preLCI to LCI, attached 2 extra back PDC sensors to pin 17&18 and VO coded. The auto-PDC works but when pressing the PDC button to call up park assist, it failed with error "D4167B - Message (Park 2 function activation, 0x31A) missing, receiver PMA, transmitter HU". It seems the NBT HU requires an upgrade. Before I flash the NBT HU, would like to know if there is anyone giving me hints on this.
Appreciate 1
Zermatt87.00
      08-24-2016, 03:21 AM   #11
jalami
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30

Quote:
Finally got around to writing this up.

I did a fair bit of research using online parts diagrams (real OEM) and Rheingold for the wiring diagrams. The most difficult part is making the wiring harness and extending the existing wiring harness.

Also note if your car already has PDC, the new PMA unit will now control the PDC sensors as well so they will need to be rewired from the REM module to the PMA.

Here’s all the parts needed to do it:

PMA UNIT
1 x 66336864898 – Control Module (PMA)
1 x 66336854515 – Bracket for PMA (No needed if you have trailer hitch)
2 x 16131176747 – plastic nuts to secure PMA holder
2 x 61138364666 – PMA connector housing
2 x 61138364662 – PMA connector cap (this part doesn’t really fit but it’s as close as I could find, you have to break off a tab on it to secure the plug in)
8 x 61130005197 – PMA connector pins (these come crimped onto cables already)

PMA SENSOR
2 x 66209317887 – PMA sensors front (part no. is for B50, pick right p/n for your color)
2 x 66206923000 – rubber grommet for PMA sensors
2 x 61136925599 – Connector housing for PMA sensors
6 x 61138353705 – Pin Grommets for PMA sensors
6 x 12527545857 – Pins for PMA sensors

WIRING HARDWARE
20-30 metres of 0.5mm cross section wire. Preferably different 3-4 colors for ease of identification (I made do with 2)
1 x 61131378906 – Power pin for rear fuse box
1 x 61131387140 – Ground pin for rear chassis

TOOLS
Soldering gear
Molex Crimp Tool – I used the one I had from making custom PC cables
Knipex Stripper – highly recommend one!
Tesco Cloth Tape – for OEM look and finish

Sensor Install

Take your front bumper off (plenty of guides out there). There will be a X marked where you need to drill for the PMA sensor right above the Sideview Camera (if you have it). Drill from the inside out using a 18mm step drill bit. It’s very soft plastic so super easy to drill.

You’ll need to pull off the existing bracket glued to the bumper to drill the hole, replace adhesive with some 3M VHB tape.

Wiring

Make sure you know which wire corresponds to which pin on the sensor.
Run the wire from the sensor up to the firewall on each side of the car. This is quite tricky in the F8X due to the strut brace which will need to be removed. Follow the path of the cable for the sideview cameras.

Once in the car, route the left sensor wire across the carpet along the front to the right hand side to join the cable from the right sensor. Run this along the carpet under the B billar(sedan) and through to the boot, next to C pillar.

Power

The power for the PMA unit will need to be sourced from the rear fuse box. Connect the power pin to a free slot in the K15 (switched power) block under the fuse box. BMW recommends F146 but mine was used already so I used another one.

Ground

The recommended grounding place for the PMA is the block right under the rear right seatbelt. Connect the pin to a free slot on this block

PMA sensor wires

The PMA sensors share a power and ground cable with the front parking sensors. With the clip facing down, the middle wire is the signal wire, left the ground and right is the power. With the 6 cables routed to the back of the car. The 2 power wires join together with the front PDC power wire. The 2 ground wires join together with the front PDC ground wire. And the middle signal wires go into the respective pins on the PMA unit.

REM unit

Each signal wire for the existing PDC sensors need to be removed from the REM plug and rewired into the PMA unit. There are 8 in total (4 front and 4 rear). The power and ground for the front and rear sensors also need to be moved (4 in total). So 12 pins need to be extracted!
The connector block with all the pins is in A174*14B this is the longest block of plugs on the REM (brown plug). The pins that need to be removed are:
36 – ground
37 – ground
38 – rear centre right (needs to be extended to reach the PMA unit)
39 – rear outer right (needs to be extended to reach the PMA unit)
40 – front centre right
41 – front outer right
48 – power front sensors
49 – power rear sensors
50 – rear outer left (needs to be extended to reach the PMA unit)
51 – rear centre left (needs to be extended to reach the PMA unit)
52 – front centre left
53 – front outer left

2 wires need to be added to connect the REM to the PMA unit. These are the K-CAN wires and ideally, they should be a twisted pair. They go into pins 29 and 44 on the same REM plug.

PMA unit

There are 2 plugs that go into this unit, 2B and 1B. Refer to the picture to see which one. Basically if the wires point towards the right, 2B is left connector and 1B is the right connector.

1B:
2 – 36 from REM
3 – 48 from REM
4 – Power from rear fuse box
10 – PMA sensor right
11 – PMA sensor left
12 – 52 from REM
13 – 40 from REM
14 – 41 from REM
15 – 53 from REM

2B:
2 – 49 from REM
5 – 37 from REM
11 – connect to 29 on REM
12 – connect to 44 on REM
13 – 39 from REM
14 – 38 from REM
15 – 51 from REM
16 – 50 from REM

Programming

If you have a new PMA control unit, you will need to program the module with the version of psdzdata you have. This is done the same way as you would if you were upgrading your ECU modules with the latest psdzdata. TAL-processing.

Coding
Lastly, you need to add 5DP to your VO and VO code the following modules:
EPS
EGS (not needed on DCT cars)
DSC
FEM
ICM
KOMBI
HU-NBT
REM

And you’re done! When I first tested this, I realised I’d wired some sensors wrong. Just make sure you connect to the right pins and all should work.
Next up is to see if it’s possible to install 2 additional rear PMA sensors to make perpendicular parking work (like on the F30LCI). The pins are already available on the PMA control unit 17&18.

Hi ..Congratulations Job. amazing.
Could you install perpendicular parking.????
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 05:00 PM   #12
jalami
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30

Up😕
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 05:09 AM   #13
Raygbmw1
Australia
Rep
Drives: Bmw116 F20

Thanks to you KKS and roxxor I finished my 5DP retrofit without much problem! Thanks also to Shawn and tokenmaster for sharing their software and knowledge.

I manage to install the sensors, wiring and coding using KKK and roxxor's write up of retrofitting 5DP although my car is a F20 116i 2013 almost everything was the same.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Raygbmw1; 01-15-2017 at 05:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 03:40 PM   #14
Xinnony
Registered
Rep
Drives: 525d

Hi, can you reupload the picture ?, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 05:14 AM   #15
player_pl
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 430xd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinnony View Post
Hi, can you reupload the picture ?, thanks.
Please find attached PDF.
You're welcome
Attached Images
File Type: pdf KKS Park Assist retrofit.pdf (1.98 MB, 1176 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 06:15 PM   #16
Enel
Rep
Drives: 330i Sapphire Black

Quote:
All up it cost me around 700 USD. Most of the cost are the sensors. Definitely cheaper to option it when new.
Hey KKS, why did not you continue to perpendicular park? Is that not possible to retrofit pma sensors without an error to a Pre-LCI car? Tell us something
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 01:11 AM   #17
greetoz
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80 2017 MY18

For my 2017 M3 with the same PMA module the front PMA sensors were switched around pin 10 was left and pin 11 was right. FYI. BMW AIR also showed this.

Appreciate 0