F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 328d oil change difficulty?
proTUNING Freaks

10-20-2017, 11:22 AM   #23
jnecr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Figueroa View Post
You must have a different year. Mine only takes 5.2l and every 9k miles. But thanks It would have simple without the idiot before stripping the pan out.
There have been no changes to the 328d in the US. Everybody over here has the same engine. 5.5quarts is just about 5.2L anyways, not sure why you decided to switch unit of measures without doing the conversion?

Also, there isn't a set mileage to change the oil. The ECU in the car decides when it's time to change based on how the car was driven. Not sure exactly how it calculates it, but when you get down to below a couple thousand miles left before an oil change, you'll see it move around depending on your driving style.
      10-20-2017, 11:31 AM   #24
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Black 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnecr View Post
Quote:
You must have a different year. Mine only takes 5.2l and every 9k miles. But thanks It would have simple without the idiot before stripping the pan out.
There have been no changes to the 328d in the US. Everybody over here has the same engine. 5.5quarts is just about 5.2L anyways, not sure why you decided to switch unit of measures without doing the conversion?

Also, there isn't a set mileage to change the oil. The ECU in the car decided when it's time to change based on how the car was driven. Not sure exactly how it calculates it, but when you get down to below a couple thousand miles left before an oil change, you'll see it move around depending on your driving style.
I didn't realize you said quarts. My bad.

Also the oil is set on a specific mileage and time, unlike your brakes. Your brakes also have recommended mileage and time frame but if the brake wear sensor detects the pad is to worn, it'll shorten the time frame appropriately.

The oil service interval is set on a schedule based on your specific vehicle. The interval is coded into your FA and it does not fluctuate based on drive style. All the computer measures is if you are at the right amount of fluid or if you are low on fluid.
      10-21-2017, 01:35 PM   #25
jnecr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Also the oil is set on a specific mileage...

The oil service interval is set on a schedule based on your specific vehicle. The interval is coded into your FA and it does not fluctuate based on drive style.
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...rent-minderler
      10-21-2017, 10:00 PM   #26
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Also the oil is set on a specific mileage...

The oil service interval is set on a schedule based on your specific vehicle. The interval is coded into your FA and it does not fluctuate based on drive style.
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...rent-minderler
"It is unclear whether the CBS system takes into account these factors, so it is important to be aware of this and to check your oil periodically, especially for older vehicles with higher mileage."

Like I said before. There are only sensors that measure the oils levels to make sure it's not to full or to low, Incase there's leak that you don't know about and are risking running your engine on low oil. The CBS is set only to to keep track of service intervals. The brakes are the only part on CBS that actually has a sensor to measure the pads so the hard you brake the faster they rundown and the cbs will adjust he brake interval accordingly.

Your comments intrigued me and just to make sure I did some research on ISTA+ and that confirmed my information.

Some other models or maybe newer cars with updated clusters and iDrive version, may in fact have these capabilities but I have not researched nor experienced that for myself and I have not heard anything from anyone else.

In the end, it is maybe recommended to shorten your oil interval if you drive hard and beat on the car, but the CBS or iDrive will not measure those factors. If you drive like that, frequently check your oil manually from the dip stick and check the condition of the oil... as advised in the article you linked above.
      10-22-2017, 09:48 AM   #27
jnecr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry man, you're flat wrong. I was near the 1000 mile mark before my oil service was due. I took a long trip (700 miles) and when I got back my oil needed to be changed in... ... 1000 miles. It takes into account driving style and conditions. Just like as noted in the article:

Quote:
The CBS system tracks oil life through mileage, the amount of fuel consumption, and information about oil quality from a sensor located in the oil pan.
The line you cherry picked (without including the very pertinent previous line!!!) refers to ambient temperatures and driving terriain:
Quote:
Certain driving habits can affect the life of the oil, as well as driving conditions such as temperature and driving terrain. Lighter, more moderate driving conditions and temperature will require less frequent oil changes and maintenance, while more severe driving conditions will require more frequent oil changes and maintenance. It is unclear whether the CBS system takes into account these factors...
Since you did so much research:
Quote:
Your comments intrigued me and just to make sure I did some research on ISTA+ and that confirmed my information.
Why don't you include that research instead of just stating that you confirmed your information?
      10-22-2017, 09:58 AM   #28
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry man, you're flat wrong. I was near the 1000 mile mark before my oil service was due. I took a long trip (700 miles) and when I got back my oil needed to be changed in... ... 1000 miles. It takes into account driving style and conditions. Just like as noted in the article:

Quote:
The CBS system tracks oil life through mileage, the amount of fuel consumption, and information about oil quality from a sensor located in the oil pan.
The line you cherry picked (without including the very pertinent previous line!!!) refers to ambient temperatures and driving terriain:
Quote:
Certain driving habits can affect the life of the oil, as well as driving conditions such as temperature and driving terrain. Lighter, more moderate driving conditions and temperature will require less frequent oil changes and maintenance, while more severe driving conditions will require more frequent oil changes and maintenance. It is unclear whether the CBS system takes into account these factors...
Since you did so much research:
Quote:
Why don't you include that research instead of just stating that you confirmed your information?
The reset h just brought back, that there are no sensors that read and measure those factors. Really take a look at your article.... even it tells you, it's unclear if the CBS takes the factors into account. It's pure speculation and with no findings of sensors or any information on ISTA that says anything about these measurements... there not much to say. If you want to believe you have a special car that has this extensive technology, that's up to you... but on mine and all others do not, to my knowledge. Until you can find a bmw part# and description of the sensors that actually measure those factors, I'm done arguing with you. It's a waste of my time. Have a good day.
      10-22-2017, 10:06 AM   #29
jnecr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The reset h just brought back, that there are no sensors that read and measure those factors. Really take a look at your article.... even it tells you, it's unclear if the CBS takes the factors into account. It's pure speculation and with no findings of sensors or any information on ISTA that says anything about these measurements... there not much to say. If you want to believe you have a special car that has this extensive technology, that's up to you... but on mine and all others do not, to my knowledge. Until you can find a bmw part# and description of the sensors that actually measure those factors, I'm done arguing with you. It's a waste of my time. Have a good day.
I agree there's no sensor in the pan for measuring impurities. However, no extra sensors are required to measure fuel consumption, RPM, vehicle speed, and engine temperature. Having seen it myself, I know my car adjusts it's oil change interval based on how the car is being driven.

And again, you need to brush up on reading comprehension. The factors they're talking about in that particular sentence are ambient temperature and driving terrain.
      10-22-2017, 10:10 AM   #30
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I agree there's no sensor in the pan for measuring impurities. However, no extra sensors are required to measure fuel consumption, RPM, vehicle speed, and engine temperature. Having seen it myself, I know my car adjusts it's oil change interval based on how the car is being driven.

And again, you need to brush up on reading comprehension. The factors they're talking about in that particular sentence are ambient temperature and driving terrain.
Well like I said, maybe you have a special cbs and one of a kind model... or maybe your cbs is just acting up. You might want to contact a dealer and have it looked at.
      10-24-2017, 08:18 AM   #31
jnecr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Please check out the fourth paragraph in the attached PDF of this thread regarding CBS intervals:

Quote:
BMW vehicles' CBS computes the actual optimum maintenance requirements based not only upon the accumulated mileage, but also taking into account important factors pertaining to fuel consumption such as high or low engine speeds, short or long-trip driving. Such computations can result in variations from the 10,000 mile interval and correspondingly, when an engine oil service will actually display "Recommended" or "Due."
So.... you were saying??
      12-01-2017, 01:30 AM   #32
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr78569 View Post
Quick and easy. I have a fluid extractor I put in the dip stick.

Suck it all out

Remove oil filter right next to it

Suck out from filter housing

Install new filter and oil

Done.

No need to go under the car. Best investment ever! U can get a harbor freight hand pump for like 6 bucks. Does the job too.

Oil I got on a special at advance auto parts. 5 quarts and random filter for 25$. I had to get the BMW oil filter separate since it's not made by their generic brand one. Still cheaper than 10 bucks a quart.

Or you can go to FCP Euro's site and order the pictures and filter. Life time replacement so each time after I return the oil and filter and its free basically just pay for shipping back.
This one..?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002...zYL&ref=plSrch
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 06:49 AM   #33
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 328d sport wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Quote:
Quick and easy. I have a fluid extractor I put in the dip stick.

Suck it all out

Remove oil filter right next to it

Suck out from filter housing

Install new filter and oil

Done.

No need to go under the car. Best investment ever! U can get a harbor freight hand pump for like 6 bucks. Does the job too.

Oil I got on a special at advance auto parts. 5 quarts and random filter for 25$. I had to get the BMW oil filter separate since it's not made by their generic brand one. Still cheaper than 10 bucks a quart.

Or you can go to FCP Euro's site and order the pictures and filter. Life time replacement so each time after I return the oil and filter and its free basically just pay for shipping back.
This one..?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002...zYL&ref=plSrch
Yeah that's one type. Many other manufactures make them cheaper and different sizes. I have a griot's fluid extractor but they do the same. Great investment been using it for a few years between my different vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 12:32 AM   #34
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Yeah that's one type. Many other manufactures make them cheaper and different sizes. I have a griot's fluid extractor but they do the same. Great investment been using it for a few years between my different vehicles.
Could alternate by changing the oil myself at 5000 miles then allowing the dealer to change it at 10,000 miles so there is a record of oil change for warranty
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 08:31 AM   #35
jnecr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Could alternate by changing the oil myself at 5000 miles then allowing the dealer to change it at 10,000 miles so there is a record of oil change for warranty
Receipts for purchase of filter and oil should be enough for warranty. If you are able to change your own oil you'll be better off doing it yourself. Too many service techs at dealerships just don't care and so few diesels come through that it's likely they'd put the wrong oil in..
      12-10-2017, 12:00 AM   #36
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Quote:
Receipts for purchase of filter and oil should be enough for warranty. If you are able to change your own oil you'll be better off doing it yourself. Too many service techs at dealerships just don't care and so few diesels come through that it's likely they'd put the wrong oil in..
That would not be good if they put the wrong oil in..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 02:59 PM   #37
expl0de
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW f30 320d and e92 320i

Hi, is there anything special when changing the oil filter? Do you install the new filter first and then tighten the cap over it, I see the filter has little pipe which has to go in some hole in the housing I guess.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 11:17 PM   #38
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by expl0de View Post
Hi, is there anything special when changing the oil filter? Do you install the new filter first and then tighten the cap over it, I see the filter has little pipe which has to go in some hole in the housing I guess.
Yes. You remove the filter, then you drain the oil from the pan. Then you replace the tube, o-rings, and filter and refill the oil to the correct capacity. If you need the ISTA instructions and torque specs PM and I can send them!
      01-16-2018, 10:07 AM   #39
Uber Commuter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328D xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by expl0de View Post
Put the new filter in the filter housing first; then put the filter housing back on the car. Just spin it lightly until it lines up.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 04:17 PM   #40
rbreding
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328d, 335d, x5d

Do you guys pour oil in the filter housing and then quickly put the new filter in and spin to at least partially fill the filter reservoir ?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 04:47 PM   #41
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbreding View Post
Do you guys pour oil in the filter housing and then quickly put the new filter in and spin to at least partially fill the filter reservoir ?
I've never felt it necessary to do that. The oil picks up quite fast, <5 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 07:44 AM   #42
jnecr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbreding View Post
The filter reservoir doesn't need lubrication, it only needs to be there to hold a filter. I don't see any reason to prefill it, just let the oil pump do that...
      10-05-2018, 11:38 AM   #43
breckw
Registered
Rep
Drives: '14 328d xDrive

Quote:
5.2 Liters = 5.5 Quarts
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 04:04 PM   #44
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Crevier BMW wants $299 for oil change alone which is not cheap.
Appreciate 0