F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Why Is There No Spare
Studio RSR

07-21-2018, 02:23 PM   #45
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drF80 View Post
not sure?! What does that mean?

I drove on punctured/gash RFT for over 200 miles and could have probably done 200 more. It was your decision to assume it would not work as intended...

But glad to hear you're safe
It means he’s convinced himself that going to a non-RFT with no backup would have made no difference so he can rant on BMW instead of looking in the mirror.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 02:53 PM   #46
Zentan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C / 6MT / SO

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-70005-S...ustomerReviews

Is this a good kit to buy?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 03:16 PM   #47
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

As good as any, but read the fine print: Good for 500 miles. That's probably conservative, but still it's not permanent. You still need to plug the hole, so get a plug kit too.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #48
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drF80 View Post
not sure?! What does that mean?

I drove on punctured/gash RFT for over 200 miles and could have probably done 200 more. It was your decision to assume it would not work as intended...

But glad to hear you're safe
It means he's convinced himself that going to a non-RFT with no backup would have made no difference so he can rant on BMW instead of looking in the mirror.
I spoke with the tech at the tire shop and they said even if I had run flats it would have made no difference and I still wud have needed a tow...

they said it was real bad
      07-21-2018, 03:55 PM   #49
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

In all fairness, in all the combined driving miles with everyone in this thread, how many of you have encountered a situation like this in the past 10 years of driving that destroys a tire beyond repair? I'm hearing crickets here....

I had one truck tire blow a sidewall for no reason 16 years ago, same truck had a lawnmower bolt go through the face requiring a boot to plug. But since that point, a minor nail hole every 5 years is all I see. I have no use for a spare, and just bought a good plug kit in case it happens again.
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301999.50
      07-21-2018, 04:59 PM   #50
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoon_209 View Post
I was 70 miles away from home... no way I wud have made it..
The limit on RFT tires is 50 miles at 50mph. You probably could have made it home if you had driven 35-40 mph. These limits are VERY conservative. I'm not condoning driving over 50 miles, but you could at least have driven halfway home to find a tire repair place along your route home.

It just sounds like you're making excuses why RFT would not have made a difference, when it definitely would have made a difference. If you made the decision to get non-RFTs, then you have to assume the responsibility for that decision. If you'd had RFT tires, you would have gotten much closer to home and driven yourself to a repair place.

Either way, you realize you're in a very unique situation. Sometimes S*** happens. BMW or any other company can't guarantee you'll be covered in any and all situations. This is such a first world problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 06:03 PM   #51
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

By the way since adding the full size spare (heavy 400m 18x8) my mpg hasn't changed at all. It is weight so for sure it will not help mpg, but any diminutive effect is completely negligible.

I didn't want to bother with a donut due to brake clearance issues (mperf bbk is in the works) and the xdrive 1% tire diameter thing.

I _hate the stock wheels, super heavy, corroding .. junk. I'll probably get a second set of ARC8s .. and maybe even dedicated 2 spares summer/winter.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 06:22 PM   #52
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuminNuman View Post
By the way since adding the full size spare (heavy 400m 18x8) my mpg hasn't changed at all. It is weight so for sure it will not help mpg, but any diminutive effect is completely negligible.

I didn't want to bother with a donut due to brake clearance issues (mperf bbk is in the works) and the xdrive 1% tire diameter thing.

I _hate the stock wheels, super heavy, corroding .. junk. I'll probably get a second set of ARC8s .. and maybe even dedicated 2 spares summer/winter.
50-55lbs is not going to change your MPG by any noticeable amount. If it did, your MPG would decrease as your kids grew up.

However, I much prefer having a “trunk” instead of 1/4 of a trunk.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 08:09 PM   #53
Cyanfall
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 f32 440i coupe

Garage List
Quote:
I drove 100 km with rft and 3 punctures on it before.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 08:15 PM   #54
Cyanfall
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 f32 440i coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
In all fairness, in all the combined driving miles with everyone in this thread, how many of you have encountered a situation like this in the past 10 years of driving that destroys a tire beyond repair? I'm hearing crickets here....

I had one truck tire blow a sidewall for no reason 16 years ago, same truck had a lawnmower bolt go through the face requiring a boot to plug. But since that point, a minor nail hole every 5 years is all I see. I have no use for a spare, and just bought a good plug kit in case it happens again.
I had once. Few years ago. somehow a manhole was missing a cover in the middle of the road and I drove through it. The tire exploded.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 06:08 AM   #55
Zentan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C / 6MT / SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanfall View Post
I had once. Few years ago. somehow a manhole was missing a cover in the middle of the road and I drove through it. The tire exploded.
wow, what a dangerous situation it had been. you ran through it and you just heard a big BAM? i wouldve been scared af
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 06:23 AM   #56
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

It happens more often than people think. Especially if you get something in your sidewall and shops won't repair it. It doesn't have to be completely destroyed for you to need a new tire. The first time I bought a plug kit was when a shop turned me away due to the puncture location, so I went to autozone and plugged it myself.

And regarding the MPG, agreed you're not going to see a huge delta with a spare. But when BMW comes out with a new model, they'll have targets for weight, mpg, engine efficiency, etc. So some combination of those drives (and continues to drive) the need for runflats + no spare. In reality that's the heaviest and easiest component you can remove, so it's no wonder most OEMs are going that direction. Also leaves a lot more room for activities under the car.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 06:38 AM   #57
Coercion Shaman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi A5 Prestige S/B

Like others have stated, my last three vehicles from other manufacturers (with the exception of my full size truck) did not have a spare. I did get an air compressor in two of them. Also added a plug kit to each and a compressor to the one that had nothing.

Also like folks have said, sometimes there just is no winning when it comes to tire damage. If you are buying a sealant kit, many now state they are 'safe' for TPMS.
      07-23-2018, 07:32 AM   #58
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
It happens more often than people think. Especially if you get something in your sidewall and shops won't repair it.
You can't safely fix a sidewall with either RF or non-RF. In the case of punctures that occur at highway speeds a goodly percentage of non-RF can't be fixed because by the time you bring the car to a stop the sidewall has been damaged. From that standpoint you're more likely to be able to fix an RF, so long as you don't continue driving on it, which will result in sidewall damage.
Quote:
since adding the full size spare (heavy 400m 18x8) my mpg hasn't changed at all.
Your cargo space has. Eliminating the spare eliminates the need for a place to put it, allowing the car to be made that much smaller without sacrificing cargo space. That size reduction is the main source of increased MPG. That's why the full size spare was phased out by the compact spare, and the compact spare by the RFT.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 09:05 AM   #59
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
You can't safely fix a sidewall with either RF or non-RF. In the case of punctures that occur at highway speeds a goodly percentage of non-RF can't be fixed because by the time you bring the car to a stop the sidewall has been damaged. From that standpoint you're more likely to be able to fix an RF, so long as you don't continue driving on it, which will result in sidewall damage.
i know. i was responding to the post that claimed it rarely happens.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #60
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Excuse my rant... but this whole no spare business is absolute BS...

On monday i drove over a ceramic shard that punctured through my right rear tire.

Yes I had non-runflats but no run flat would have survived this puncture. The puncture was two inches long from what it looks to be a roof tile of some sort and to top it off i was 70 miles away from home... i then had to be towed back home and my car has been sitting since I have to special order my 255/35/19 tire... what an absolute shit show...

Why did bmw think runflat tires would be smarter than adding a spare in the trunk???

Its total BS on car manufacturer's part-BMW and Porsche. They say its for saving weight and improving fuel economy...more BS...its all about money. It costs them less plain and simple to not supply a car with a spare tire.

Take spares out of a car, charge more for RF's that really do the same thing regular tires do except provide limited flat protection under very specific circumstances then make lots of advertising saying they are better and safer which creates a false sense of security on the part of the purchaser.

After spending three hours in the sun, thirty miles from nowhere Arizona with a door key stuck in my sidewall waiting for a BMW towI learned my lesson. I carry a 3 series spare in my trunk along with a small inflator and mobility kit and a plug kit.

Hind sight is always 20/20 so I ordered my X3 with the spare option...so much more piece of mind.

If you need info on the spare that I have, I have all the info and I'll post it up here if anyone wants it.
Appreciate 3
      07-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #61
Speedwell-Industries
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
Its total BS on car manufacturer's part-BMW and Porsche. They say its for saving weight and improving fuel economy...more BS...its all about money. It costs them less plain and simple to not supply a car with a spare tire.

Take spares out of a car, charge more for RF's that really do the same thing regular tires do except provide limited flat protection under very specific circumstances then make lots of advertising saying they are better and safer which creates a false sense of security on the part of the purchaser.

After spending three hours in the sun, thirty miles from nowhere Arizona with a door key stuck in my sidewall waiting for a BMW towI learned my lesson. I carry a 3 series spare in my trunk along with a small inflator and mobility kit and a plug kit.

Hind sight is always 20/20 so I ordered my X3 with the spare option...so much more piece of mind.

If you need info on the spare that I have, I have all the info and I'll post it up here if anyone wants it.
+1

Pretty soon cars won't even come with them anymore
Appreciate 1
Sea-Tac1453.00
      07-23-2018, 01:24 PM   #62
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Imperial Bloo

I can see a theoretical justification for RFTs, but not for premium cars. BMW and the like spend so much time and money lowering NVH and trying to create a premium driving experience that will separate themselves from the mass market brands. Then they go and top it off with RFTs that negate a good portion of that effort, in exchange for what? A very debatable advantage in a situation that is highly unlikely to occur. Just doesn't add up to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 01:49 PM   #63
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
As long as you kept it at 50mph or under, I don't think a RFT would have had any problem with the damage you had, and getting you home - it's pretty much what they are designed for. The 50 mile limit is pretty conservative, especially if you are running on the highway. It's happened to me, halfway between Houston, and Austin, and lost tire pressure. Got in the right hand lane, turned on the blinkers, and had no problems.

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 02:08 PM   #64
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post
I can see a theoretical justification for RFTs, but not for premium cars. BMW and the like spend so much time and money lowering NVH and trying to create a premium driving experience that will separate themselves from the mass market brands. Then they go and top it off with RFTs that negate a good portion of that effort, in exchange for what? A very debatable advantage in a situation that is highly unlikely to occur. Just doesn't add up to me.
https://www.moderntiredealer.com/art...that-s-working
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #65
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Imperial Bloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Thanks for the link--I've seen that article before. What BMW's Guerrero is saying is that providing for added convenience in an extraordinary situation takes precedence over providing a more premium driving experience each and every day. Doesn't sound like a good tradeoff to me or the majority of auto manufacturers.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 02:27 PM   #66
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post
Thanks for the link--I've seen that article before. What BMW's Guerrero is saying is that providing for added convenience in an extraordinary situation takes precedence over providing a more premium driving experience each and every day. Doesn't sound like a good tradeoff to me or the majority of auto manufacturers.
And they do not believe a premium stereo system is important either.

They shoot for the middle. Not the extreme.

He also states “Otherwise, Guerrero says run-flat tires rule. “All cars, all platforms, all series have a run-flat slot and they’re typically standard. But what we have are options. Especially in our most popular sizes there’s a requirement that it has to have a run-flat, and a non-run-flat with a spare. But the take rates for those non-run-flats are very small. Most BMW customers appreciate the service of run-flats and they leave it alone.” Guerrero says run-flat tires are a good fit for what he calls the BMW experience. ”

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 07-23-2018 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0