F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > F34 tires dilemma
Studio RSR

06-24-2020, 10:11 AM   #1
bnsparker
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i GT xdrive and 20

F34 tires dilemma

I recently bought a used 2016 328i GT x-drive with the M sport package. While on an 8 hour trip I had one of my rear tires separate so I am looking for new tires. Before I bought this F34, my previous car was a 2015 328i (not GT and I don't think x-drive) and it seemed to have a smoother ride. My current F34 has the run flat tires (all four are 255/50/18)and I'm wondering if I should stick with run flats or try a different tire that would feel smoother. I see the posts about the Michelin Pilot 4S and I was ready to pull the trigger on it, but after reading a lot of reviews I'm not sure that's what I need. I don't drive my car like a race car. I live in the panhandle of Florida so winters aren't harsh at all. I almost always drive in comfort mode and only switched to sport mode a couple of times to pass somebody and make a statement lol. Maybe it's not the tires that need to be switched and maybe it's an alignment or a shock issue. It's not terrible, but I feel like it should be smoother coming from an F30. Any suggestions for a smooth ride tire and not necessarily a tire that's ready to race in nascar? And if the Michelin Pilots 4S or 3+ is supposed to be a smooth ride and not just a performance tire, then I might go with that. I know it's a trade off not to have run flats because having the tire separate did allow me to continue to drive to a tire shop in the middle of nowhere to get the only tire they had in my size in Magee, MS. I keep going back and forth and thinking also maybe I should stay with run flats and see about my shocks and wheel alignment. I hate decisions...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 10:55 AM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Couple of questions about the current tires:

- How many miles did the rear tires accrue before the tread separation?
- Brand / model?

Non run flat tires will improve the ride but will also change how tires respond to sharper turns since the sidewall is softer.

It's difficult to get better non run flat tires than Michelin Pilot 4S.

If you prefer the convenience of run flat tires, Bridestone Potenza S001 are harsher than others. I like Pirelli P Zero run flats (second set already). These are not perfect but much better than Bridgestone.

Last edited by cfm56d7b; 06-24-2020 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 10:57 AM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

One more item.

Since you recently purchased your car, I suggest to inspect shocks, springs, and learn from the previous owner when the last wheel alignment was done before considering any suspension changes.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 11:06 AM   #4
bnsparker
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Couple of questions about the current tires:

- How many miles did the rear tires accrue before the tread separation?
- Brand / model?

Non run flat tires will improve the ride but will also change how tires respond to sharper turns since the sidewall is softer.

It's difficult to get better non run flat tires than Michelin Pilot 4S.

If you prefer the convenience of run flat tires, Bridestone Potezna S001 are harsher than others. I like Pirelli P Zero run flats (second set already). These are not perfect but much better than Bridgestone.
I have no idea how many miles were on the previous tires. They are Pirelli run flats and I think they say Cinturato. I bought the car in January and they looked pretty new. I've put about 12,000 miles I think since January but I don't know how many miles before then. I have no idea about previous alignment either because I bought it from HGreg in Orlando because Pensacola BMW prices are through the roof.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 11:07 AM   #5
bnsparker
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
One more item.

Since you recently purchased your car, I suggest to inspect shocks, springs, and learn from the previous owner when the last wheel alignment was done before considering any suspension changes.
I will take it and get the shocks, springs, and alignment checked. Thank you for your info!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 12:09 PM   #6
Torquey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i GT | 550i 6MT

I'm on the same boat as you... with the factory 400M wheels and the Bridgestone Driveguard 225/50/18 RFTs that came with the car. I don't mind the ride on them so much, and they still have <50% tread left. But I want new 19" wheels and I will definitely not buy RFTs for that. On my previous E90 335i, I remember switching from RFTs to regular Conti DWS06 and Vredestein Quatrac... the difference in noise and comfort was tremendous!! I also have Michelin Pilot AS3+ on my E60... and those are great tires too, very responsive.

If you do take road trips a lot, you may want to invest in a 'spare tire kit', and definitely sign up for emergency roadside assistance for that extra peace of mind.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2020, 01:48 PM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

You need to have a tire repair kit and pump onboard, period. I've had to fix two punctures in the last two years, both happened within a few miles of home. If you do road trips get an emergency spare to carry with you. Expensive, but cheaper than a flatbed ride.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2020, 02:06 PM   #8
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

I've been using AAA as my "insurance" for a flat. I've had one flat in 20+ years, and AAA performed great - had a tow and a new tire installed at my tire place in 2.5 hours.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2020, 02:23 PM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

That's fine if you're not on a schedule. When I'm headed out of town it's because I'm going to an event, and I can't spare the time for a tow and a fix. I can patch my own in 20 minutes, tops. Before the GT I had to think hard about when I last got a flat, and in the end couldn't remember. Maybe 1973. But two in the last two years made me a believer in the Boy Scout Motto.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2020, 08:38 PM   #10
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
That's fine if you're not on a schedule. When I'm headed out of town it's because I'm going to an event, and I can't spare the time for a tow and a fix. I can patch my own in 20 minutes, tops. Before the GT I had to think hard about when I last got a flat, and in the end couldn't remember. Maybe 1973. But two in the last two years made me a believer in the Boy Scout Motto.
I can't even assign "fine" to that alternative when on a schedule or not. I don't want to be in the vulnerable position of having to be on the side of the road waiting any longer than necessary (the time it takes to put on a spare) when passers-by with less than beneficial motives may take notice. Or, just tolerate RFTs and find the best ones I can fit on the car.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 09:32 PM   #11
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I have RFT's, still carry my fix it stuff locally and a spare for out of town trips. If you fix an RFT puncture immediately it's no big deal. If you drive on it once the air is gone and you're riding on the inner sidewall the tire is permanently damaged and must be replaced. My $20 worth of tire repair tools have saved me around $400 by not having to replace the two tires I fixed.
Appreciate 2
      07-08-2020, 07:54 PM   #12
bnsparker
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

So I ended up deciding to ditch run flats to see if my ride improved. I ended up going with Yokohama YK740 GTX tires and I got some new wheels so I will also have a full size spare for my car and my daughter's BMW since neither had spares before. I also did get an alignment and had the suspension checked and it's all good now.
I have to say...it's definitely smoother now without the run flats. I don't drive it like I stole it like maybe I should, being a 42 year old woman who some would say is going through a mid-life crisis. I painted my calipers too. 😉 Don't hate! I know a lot of people are dogging folks that paint their calipers red, but I like it with the white car and black wheels look. I'm happy now with the wheels, tires, and smoothness of the ride. Now I just have to figure out how to fix my hatchback to make it open without an initial boost and wrap my scratched up interior m sport molding. I'm making progress! Thanks for all of your input about run flats!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Torquey92.00
KCee41.00
      07-09-2020, 08:43 AM   #13
KCee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328 GT XDrive 2016

I kind of like the red calipers as well. Tempted to paint mine when I do the brakes.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2020, 03:32 AM   #14
NNiccollas
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d GT F34

Nice Wheels !!
Appreciate 1