F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F31 Sport Wagon and not the usual exhaust option.
GetBMWParts

12-19-2019, 08:26 AM   #1
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Gray Metallic M3

So...this post is not intended to be a "which exhaust is better". Merely sharing my experience in the hopes it provides some value to other forum members.

In Dec of 2018 I picked up a 2018 F31 Sport wagon (B46). Coming from a Summer/weekend F80 M3, I found the the stock exhaust on the F31 being too muted and civilized, It had no life, made no noise, had no "Soul".

Earlier this year I went to Soul Performance ( https://soulpp.com/ ) in Willow Grove PA to consult with them on an exhaust for my 2018 F31 SW. John Brandenberger at SOUL was awesome.

So why did I go to Soul instead of buying what was already out there? Well, I started to do research on exhaust options (on my own via forums and through my BMW performance shop, Thompson BMW) and we really could not find many options. Yes, others did make an exhaust for this body style, but most examples I could find were of the exhausts on the F31 with the N26 engine and not the B46.

No one could really answer my question about how it sounded, drone, any change in throttle response. I even had some well known performance companies say, we don't know how it'll really work on the B46. When asked by my BMW Performance shop (Thompson BMW), if we could purchase it to do a test fit, this one performance company said no! You buy it, it's yours even if it doesn't fit!

So this left me with few options. Luckily, a friend, Jon Stephenson from GRATR Garage ( http://www.gratrgarage.com/ ) knew the team at Soul Performance and was able to get me an appointment. If you don't know GRATR Garage & SOUL Performance, you should definitely check them out! Here's a link to their YT channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgv..._oQ4Lg4rsLBYCQ)

The team at SOUL performance are doing some amazing exhausts on various Porsche cars (911's, Caymans, Boxters etc,) as well as McLaren's, BMW M cars and other brands! But could they...would they even do a one-off for a BMW F31? Apparently yes! As they do all fabrication on-site, they could analyze my car and figure out what would meet my needs. Should we remove the mids (resonator and cat), straight pipe it, or just add a less restrictive can?

As this was my DD, and I'm kind of an adult (45 feel like 12)I really couldn't do anything too crazy. I also didn't want drone during non spirited around town driving. What they came up with was a muffler delete and hand fabricate the replacement piping.

What are my initial impressions?
Well, it's only day 2 and I realize the exhaust is still breaking in, but so far I have to say I really love it. Yes the car is louder at start up, but driving it normally I don't experience much drone. It's a little loud from 1k-2k RPMs, but around 2k-3500k RPM's it's actually pretty quiet.

But when I put it in Sport or Sport+ and manual this is when the exhaust really shines. I can now here burbles, pops and overrun when up-shifting (1st>2nd>3rd>4th).

Here are a few pics and clip at warm start (
).
Attached Images

2018 Champaign Quartz F31 Sports Wagon | BMW 624 wheels | KW Street Coil Overs | DINAN Stage 1 v2.0 | Soul Performance Muffler delete
Appreciate 2
eleven11370.00
DMM26.00
      08-05-2020, 10:33 AM   #2
Moupe
Monobloc
United_States
Rep
Drives: '02 M Coupe - '19 F31 330ix

Garage List
It's hard to make these 4-bangers sound good but they did add some masculinity to the rumble!

BTW, your F31 is Platinum Silver not Champagne Quartz Metallic, the latter being an Individual color.
-2002 S54 M Coupé - Steel Gray / Dark Gray/Black
Appreciate 0