F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Just added the Turner MS IC and charge pipes!
Studio RSR

05-16-2022, 08:21 AM   #1
Ragnar The Redneck
Private
Rep
Drives: 15 335i GT

Just added the Turner MS IC and charge pipes!

After snagging the Turner Motorsport intercooler and charge pipes kit on sale a month or so ago, I was finally able to install it over the weekend. Instructions provided seemed straightforward and easy enough. I watched plenty of videos of other people swapping these parts out. I have been wrenching on cars since the '80s, and even restored a basket case Triumph Vitesse Sports 6. I thought I was ready for this. It has been a couple of years since I really did any serious wrenching, and since then found out that I have macular degeneration.

So, away I go! Here are the parts supplied, minus the $100 wine voucher and $50 Turner Gift Card:

Little did I know at the time how important that $100 wine voucher would be...

A quick photo of my non-modded F34:

I don't have any other pics of my F34 right now, but if you look at @Markoff Chaney's F34, and remove the Colorado plates, mine looks identical. So, thanks Markoff Chaney for supplying some awesome photos of "my" car!!

Now, back to the installation, uhh, removal. I chose to work just outside my garage due to it being a nice, mild day outside and no rain in the forecast. I removed the stock IC and then the turbo to IC hose. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Then came the cold side charge pipe. No amount of twisting, turning, tugging, pulling, swearing, praying or exorcism would allow the charge pipe to be removed. Tried from the top and the bottom, nothing short of pulling the engine would seem to make this easy. Then I spied my sawzall. Five seconds later, the charge pipe was out.

Ready for the installation to begin! Not so fast!!! What was that?!?! Thunder? No, it can't be. Must have been a Harley roaring past. Nope, here comes the rain. I quickly threw everything into the garage to get out of the rain. Stay tuned for Day 2.

{insert your choice of intermission music here}

Welcome to Day 2! I installed the turbo to IC pipe as per instructions. Then I go to install the cold side charge pipe. Now, how am I supposed to know which way to attach the silicone hose to the aluminum pipe? It would be super nice to have some markings on both pieces on where to line them up. I then pulled out the Gorilla glue and tape, and repaired my stock charge pipe to get an idea of what the new charge pipe should look like. Anyone want a repaired stock charge pipe, just pay for shipping? After some pushing, twisting, tugging, turning, and a few more explicatives, I finally got the charge pipe installed, no need for a sawzall this time.

Next up, the IC installation. I always wondered why those YouTube videos never showed the actual installation. I now know why. Neither the IC nor the charge pipe installs are pretty, and I am fairly certain the actual video would get everyone banned from YouTube. So, I will spare the details here as well, and just say I got it installed, no sawzall needed. I also know why Turner supplies the $100 wine voucher... You will need it!!!!!!!

Here is a photo of my IC peeking from behind the front fascia:

Warmed the engine for a nice, violent test drive. Sweet! No pipes blew off! A few observations from my well tuned butt dyno:
  • There is some initial lag
  • There is lag at low speeds
  • Wide open throttle is

Next up on the list is nice looking intake and then a tune, may also go for a high flow catted down pipe.
Wants: E31 850i 6-speed
Appreciate 2
rcaso26331.00
      12-02-2023, 08:29 PM   #2
Chongdiddy
Registered
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar The Redneck View Post
After snagging the Turner Motorsport intercooler and charge pipes kit on sale a month or so ago, I was finally able to install it over the weekend. Instructions provided seemed straightforward and easy enough. I watched plenty of videos of other people swapping these parts out. I have been wrenching on cars since the '80s, and even restored a basket case Triumph Vitesse Sports 6. I thought I was ready for this. It has been a couple of years since I really did any serious wrenching, and since then found out that I have macular degeneration.

So, away I go! Here are the parts supplied, minus the $100 wine voucher and $50 Turner Gift Card:

Little did I know at the time how important that $100 wine voucher would be...

A quick photo of my non-modded F34:

I don't have any other pics of my F34 right now, but if you look at @Markoff Chaney's F34, and remove the Colorado plates, mine looks identical. So, thanks Markoff Chaney for supplying some awesome photos of "my" car!!

Now, back to the installation, uhh, removal. I chose to work just outside my garage due to it being a nice, mild day outside and no rain in the forecast. I removed the stock IC and then the turbo to IC hose. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Then came the cold side charge pipe. No amount of twisting, turning, tugging, pulling, swearing, praying or exorcism would allow the charge pipe to be removed. Tried from the top and the bottom, nothing short of pulling the engine would seem to make this easy. Then I spied my sawzall. Five seconds later, the charge pipe was out.

Ready for the installation to begin! Not so fast!!! What was that?!?! Thunder? No, it can't be. Must have been a Harley roaring past. Nope, here comes the rain. I quickly threw everything into the garage to get out of the rain. Stay tuned for Day 2.

{insert your choice of intermission music here}

Welcome to Day 2! I installed the turbo to IC pipe as per instructions. Then I go to install the cold side charge pipe. Now, how am I supposed to know which way to attach the silicone hose to the aluminum pipe? It would be super nice to have some markings on both pieces on where to line them up. I then pulled out the Gorilla glue and tape, and repaired my stock charge pipe to get an idea of what the new charge pipe should look like. Anyone want a repaired stock charge pipe, just pay for shipping? After some pushing, twisting, tugging, turning, and a few more explicatives, I finally got the charge pipe installed, no need for a sawzall this time.

Next up, the IC installation. I always wondered why those YouTube videos never showed the actual installation. I now know why. Neither the IC nor the charge pipe installs are pretty, and I am fairly certain the actual video would get everyone banned from YouTube. So, I will spare the details here as well, and just say I got it installed, no sawzall needed. I also know why Turner supplies the $100 wine voucher... You will need it!!!!!!!

Here is a photo of my IC peeking from behind the front fascia:

Warmed the engine for a nice, violent test drive. Sweet! No pipes blew off! A few observations from my well tuned butt dyno:
  • There is some initial lag
  • There is lag at low speeds
  • Wide open throttle is

Next up on the list is nice looking intake and then a tune, may also go for a high flow catted down pipe.
Any tips on how you got the Turner charge pipe to fit? I'm assuming the silicon piping was a tad bit short making install hard. Dealing with the same issue on my end. Hoping to find tips.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2023, 07:14 AM   #3
Ragnar The Redneck
Private
Rep
Drives: 15 335i GT

Yeah, the silicon piping is a tad short, another 2cm would make everything easier. My best tip? Use that $100 wine voucher first. All jokes aside, it is pretty tight and where the clamps land, it is difficult to tighten them.

What I did was to replicate the shape of the stock charge pipe, and put the IC end of the pipe in position and tightened, while leaving the intake end a little loose and pushed into the silicon pipe a little further. I did this to leave a little room before snugging up the upper end, as tightening the lower silicone pipe is more difficult to reach.

Then there is a lot of pushing, twisting, pulling, explicatives, wine drinking, holding your tongue in certain positions, and prayer to get this into position. Connect the bottom pipe to the IC, then loosen the clamp to the top portion of the charge pipe and connect to the intake. Now, tighten the top of the silicon pipe. I did find that this was accomplished from the top side with a small extension, a swivel, and a long extension.

I don't know if Turner still supplies the $100 wine voucher, they may have upgraded that for a hard liquor voucher...

Best of luck.
Wants: E31 850i 6-speed
Appreciate 0