F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > [90% complete] [USB AND STEREO BT WORKING!] DIY HU_NBT Retrofit
proTUNING Freaks

12-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #23
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungming
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lyfe View Post
updated, usb and stereo bluetooth working!

Hi

So you re-reoute the cables from the combox at the trunk to the NBT?

Or you use another option?

Thanks
Yea. we took the cable from the combox in the trunk. followed it back to the armrest and dragged it to the front
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #24
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Right now, this is what we have currently working

Navigation (Still on European means but will change to NA soon)
BMW Apps 6NR
USB media
Bluetooth Audio
Mobile Office

The following requires more rewiring which I'm questioning whether I should do it or not

Voice control (Need to rewire mic)
Bluetooth calling (Need to rewire mic)
FM radio (Doesn't seem to work because the head unit is made for dab radio)

Also, we still need to figure out how to terminate the fiber connection back to the head unit. If I unplug the combox, my kombi will stop communicating with my NBT, trip computer will stop working, PDC loses its sound and the BMW startup and seat belt chimes are gone. Also, I can't see any of the songs on the scroll wheel.

Also, if I start the car with the combox in there, the USB port will stop reading and the bluetooth audio will also stop working because it's routing back to the combox for all external connections.

If I start the car with the combox unplugged, turn off the car and plug the combox back in, my trip computer works, I get all the chimes and all of my external connectivity works again.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 01:11 AM   #25
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yungming View Post
OK, I checked your VIN and you are having the 6WA cluster

You need a MOST cable to connect it from 6WA to NBT, I got the cable for USD50
Nice! Is the MOST cable proprietary to BMW? Once I do this, I should be able to completely bypass the combox.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 02:13 AM   #26
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Also, can you tell me how to take out the kombi? I've seen videos of it being done on the F10 but not sure if it's the same on the F30.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2013, 02:16 AM   #27
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The kombi of F30 has 2 torx screw on the top, once you unscrew it, you can take out the kombi, tomorrow I am going to dismantle the kombi, i can take some pics to let you see
Awesome! Please do
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 02:27 AM   #28
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The kombi of F30 has 2 torx screw on the top, once you unscrew it, you can take out the kombi, tomorrow I am going to dismantle the kombi, i can take some pics to let you see
Oh yeah, I don't need to remove the steering wheel to do this do I? I'm guessing once I pull out the KOMBI, I should have enough space to reach the connectors.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #29
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Can I ask where you guys got your NBT unit from? Was it by any chance Latvia or Lithuania via Fleabay? If it was, they should be FM only, not DAB from talking to these sellers. Very dubious as to why all units come from there.

Also, my car as no Nav or enhanced Bluetooth and is the MY2014 spec. Doesn't this mean I don't even have a Combox? Who would I get Bluetooth working in that case since I don't even have cables in the boot (I presume)?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #30
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
Can I ask where you guys got your NBT unit from? Was it by any chance Latvia or Lithuania via Fleabay? If it was, they should be FM only, not DAB from talking to these sellers. Very dubious as to why all units come from there.

Also, my car as no Nav or enhanced Bluetooth and is the MY2014 spec. Doesn't this mean I don't even have a Combox? Who would I get Bluetooth working in that case since I don't even have cables in the boot (I presume)?
I got mine from a UK seller on ebay but the NBT actually came off a German spec 2014 F31 with a September 2013 production date. Yeah, I can only get FM radio on it and of course I can't check DAB because I'm in Canada.

I actually got more than what I bargained for because this car actually had FSC codes for 6NR BMW Apps and I totally didn't expect it to work on my vehicle. I paid about 700 Pounds for this and it came with the activation module as which is definitely more than just a deal.

Wiring a combox is a lot of work. You're going to need a wiring harness that is completely proprietary and difficult to assemble and this runs from your head unit, under the armrest, to the rear side pillars and into the trunk. It took 1yfe and I about 4 hours to just run a USB cable from the trunk back to the NBT.

I think if you want Bluetooth, it's worth taking a risk to just get one of those ebay head units. It can easily be coded to your car and with a activation module, you will be able to use all features that were on the original vehicle.

I guess the only thing you have to worry about is if the device still works or not.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #31
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:

Check your Boot. Some non-Nav cars have Combox depending on the head Unit and Options.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #32
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks. Car doesn't arrive until end of the month. It has HK audio, but no Bluetooth.

I would actually prefer the full NBT functionality but if my car doesn't have a Combox am I going to get it?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #33
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks. Car doesn't arrive until end of the month. It has HK audio, but no Bluetooth.

I would actually prefer the full NBT functionality but if my car doesn't have a Combox am I going to get it?
If you retrofit NBT, it has Combox built into it.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #34
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

So was Aritaurus problem with missing Bluetooth audio and USB which was solved by running cables from boot only because he already had one in the boot? Would I not have that issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #35
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So was Aritaurus problem with missing Bluetooth audio and USB which was solved by running cables from boot only because he already had one in the boot? Would I not have that issue?
Yes. He had to move connection from standalone Combox in trunk to the NBT Head Unit.

You will have to do the same if you too have a Combox in your trunk.

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #36
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

So if I don't have a Combox will this cable already be connected to the back of my existing head unit?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #37
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So if I don't have a Combox will this cable already be connected to the back of my existing head unit?
Should be.

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #38
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Awesome. So would there be any complexity or anything that wouldn't work for me with the right coding?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #39
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Awesome. So would there be any complexity or anything that wouldn't work for me with the right coding?
The whole thing is complex, and it varies based on what you are starting with and what you are retrofitting. Coming from a CIC with 609 Nav to NBT is easier than starting with No Nav, as with no Nav, you have no GPS Arial Antenna, so that will have to added. If you want Voice Control to, you will need to add the Microphone. Then you have the whole Activation issue to deal with, and whether you use OEM FSC Codes or an Emulator / Hardware Activator. This is doable, but it remains complex.

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #40
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
OK, I checked your VIN and you are having the 6WA cluster

You need a MOST cable to connect it from 6WA to NBT, I got the cable for USD50
Hey, I was having a look at the technical manual for the F30 and it says that the KOMBI connects to the head unit then runs to the combox via the MOST cable. Does that mean that my existing MOST cable splits into two at one point?

If you have pictures of the setup, I'd really appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #41
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Then you have the whole Activation issue to deal with, and whether you use OEM FSC Codes or an Emulator / Hardware Activator. This is doable, but it remains complex.
This is the bit I don't fully understand. I spoke to a modder in the UK and he mentioned the FSC codes or an emulator. The start of this post simply says to code the options on the car. Why is that not enough?

Also, where would you find a canbus filter? I can find plenty of NBT units for sale, but no canbus filters.

Last edited by steddyman; 12-27-2013 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #42
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This is the bit I don't fully understand. I spoke to a modder in the UK and he mentioned the FSC codes or an emulator. The start of this post simply says to code the options on the car. Why is that not enough?
Certain functions in your Vehicle Order like Navigation, Voice Control, BMW Apps, Satellite Radio, etc. require an FSC Enabling Code be Imported and Activated in the Head Unit (and other ECU's as needed). This is the BMW way, most likely done to encourage buying options from the factory and to discourage retrofitting them.

When you retrofit a Head Unit, to enable these options, you have to either get OEM FSC Codes issued for your VIN ($$$$$) or use the existing FSC Codes from another VIN and an Emulator ($).

It is what it is.

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #43
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks

Is there a post that explains this in more details, especially the emulation process?

So this isn't required just to prevent you from having to recode them after a service? Also if you buy an NBT from a car that had Pro Nav, will the new car have it coded already? Where is this actually stored?

Sorry for the newbie questions, I am actually a developer and a hacker but I'm new to the car space.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #44
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks

Is there a post that explains this in more details, especially the emulation process?

So this isn't required just to prevent you from having to recode them after a service? Also if you buy an NBT from a car that had Pro Nav, will the new car have it coded already? Where is this actually stored?

Sorry for the newbie questions, I am actually a developer and a hacker but I'm new to the car space.
OEM Activation is a 3-Way VIN match between the CAR's VIN as stored in CAS Module, the Head Unit VIN, and the FSC Codes VIN.

With retrofitted Head Unit, you have two options.

Option 1 is to flash the Head Unit and write the car's real VIN to it, but then you have to buy all new FSC Codes and Import and Activate them in the Head Unit. This is more expensive, but is the OEM way.

Option 2 is to keep the used Head Unit with Donor VIN in it and matching FSC Codes, and use an emulator / activation module, which is a piece of hardware that lies to the CAS Module telling it your Head Unit VIN matches the CAR VIN. This is less expensive option, but not the OEM way.

None of this has anything to do with preventing you from having to recode the unit after dealer programming. Dealer programming flashes new firmware onto ECU's, and all custom coding will always be wiped out. In fact, a car with an emulator / activation module will definitely not be able to be programed by the dealer, and when the car goes in for service that involves programming, the factory Head Unit will need to be put back in. In many cases, even if OEM Activation is used, the car still won't be able to be programed by the dealer because the car's official Vehicle Order from BMW's server will not support the newer hardware.

Appreciate 0