F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Dinan Shockware for f30 half off
Extreme Powerhouse

02-22-2017, 05:47 PM   #45
tgmsocal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32DBP View Post
Thats really good to hear. I just crossed 60K myself and was wondering if its even worth it considering the high miles. Might have to capitalize on this before its too late I guess.
FWIW, my SA commented that they have yet to replace an adaptive damper on an F30, and they have several customers with higher mileage than me. I'm just hoping to make it to until I do suspension in a year or so.

Definitely grab it while it's on sale for $205.

-tgm
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      02-22-2017, 06:01 PM   #46
R32DBP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport, 2004 .:R32T

Garage List
that was exactly my thought process. I was wondering how long do these stock adaptive shocks last. Figured I would replace everything to coils but I was hesitant to do all that since I would have to code out the adaptive.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      02-24-2017, 07:16 AM   #47
tgmsocal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
that was exactly my thought process. I was wondering how long do these stock adaptive shocks last. Figured I would replace everything to coils but I was hesitant to do all that since I would have to code out the adaptive.
There are adaptive coilovers available from KW (over $3k though), and Bilstein is supposed to have some out soon.

TBH, I was considering the adaptive coilovers route but I really see no reason to spend that kind of money when a good set of springs works great with adaptive dampers, and Bilstein offers reasonably priced aftermarket adaptives as well.

To each their own, I just am picky what kind of money I drop into a fun DD vs what I plan to do when I get myself an ///M

-tgm
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 07:31 AM   #48
R32DBP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmsocal View Post
There are adaptive coilovers available from KW (over $3k though), and Bilstein is supposed to have some out soon.

TBH, I was considering the adaptive coilovers route but I really see no reason to spend that kind of money when a good set of springs works great with adaptive dampers, and Bilstein offers reasonably priced aftermarket adaptives as well.

To each their own, I just am picky what kind of money I drop into a fun DD vs what I plan to do when I get myself an ///M

-tgm
I totally agree. I wanted to do the coils route but like you just said, I thought about it and I'd rather just do minimal stuff because the goal is definitely an M. So who knows how long I'm going to keep this car lol.

Also, I didn't know that bilstein makes aftermarket adaptives. I saw that they were working on the damptronic coilovers but not just adaptive shocks. Are you saying they have adaptive shocks for OEM replacements?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 08:59 AM   #49
tgmsocal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

-tgm
I totally agree. I wanted to do the coils route but like you just said, I thought about it and I'd rather just do minimal stuff because the goal is definitely an M. So who knows how long I'm going to keep this car lol.

Also, I didn't know that bilstein makes aftermarket adaptives. I saw that they were working on the damptronic coilovers but not just adaptive shocks. Are you saying they have adaptive shocks for OEM replacements?
Ya, they do, although I haven't done a ton of research so I don't know how easy they are to find. I'll do a search later and update this when I'm not on mobile.

Edit: Here's the thread with the discussion on this. Looks like the coilovers can be found but I just scoured the web a bit and could not find the B6 or B8 with Damptronic for the F30, although they do offer them for other models. Hopefully these are coming in the next year or so, may be worth reaching out to Bilstein and seeing if they plan to release them.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1296041

-tgm

Last edited by tgmsocal; 02-24-2017 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 09:50 AM   #50
SpecialK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
So, got my car back a couple days ago. Dealership hooked it up, didn't even charge labor! $209 out the door. FWIW, my car has 65k on it and this still made a noticeable difference. Comfort is still very drivable and sport now actually feels sporty. It could still use some springs but for the price this is an absolute no-brainer. FWIW, I also reached out to Dinan to ask about how this would work if I were to get the adaptive Bilstein dampers down the road, and they said that although they haven't tested, they don't see any reason why they wouldn't play nice.

For now, this is plenty for my road-warrioring. When I live somewhere with a good canyon run or decide to hit some track days up, it will be time to throw on some springs (and probably new dampers by that point).

-tgm
That's good to hear. I have my car at the dealer for a host of issues (horray for aftermarket warranties), and told them to go ahead and install Shockware while they're working on it. I'm at 49,000 miles now; hopefully I can get another 15,000-20,000 miles before replacing the dampers. There should be some good real world reviews of the Bilstein EDC dampers by then, which is what I plan on switching to.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 10:53 AM   #51
tgmsocal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

See my edited post above RE: Bilstein Damptronic. I also completely forgot to mention that Ground Control makes a Coilover Conversion Kit for the F30. I reached out to them and the current price was just under $1k and included all hardware and ACS springs with your choice of spring rates. They stated they will only work with OEM or Koni dampers, so that would mean no Bilstein if you went that route. Something to consider if you're looking for something adjustable that doesn't break the bank.

-tgm
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 10:01 PM   #52
R32DBP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So I did some searching on the Bilstein website and you are correct. It seems they do make damptronic replacement shocks for us with the adaptive. I thought the only way was to get the full coilovers.

They just have the B4 OE Replacment damptronic shocks. I do not see the B6 which are sport damptronic shocks. But I am assuming the shockware could take care of that anyways.

Store selection in shopping basket
Submit
23-238916
407.00 EUR / Piece (excl. VAT)
BILSTEIN - B4 OE Replacement (DampTronic®)
for vehicles with EDC, for vehicles with electronic suspension control
Fitting Position: Front Axle Left, Gas Pressure, Suspension Strut, Top pin

Submit
23-238923
407.00 EUR / Piece (excl. VAT)
Fitting Position: Front Axle Right, Gas Pressure, Suspension Strut, Top pin

Submit
20-238933
305.00 EUR / Piece (excl. VAT)
Fitting Position: Rear Axle, Gas Pressure, Bottom eye, Top pin

Looks like they are priced each and totals to about $1500 so it may not even be worth it. Might as well get the full damptronic coilovers for a couple hundred more to be able to raise and lower car.
Appreciate 1
tgmsocal156.00
      02-25-2017, 06:00 AM   #53
tgmsocal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ouch that's pricey. Honestly whenever it's time to replace I may just say goodbye to adaptives, dunno how I can justify spending that much for suspension. I enjoy having the selectability but I don't think it's worth an extra 2k lol.

-tgm
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 04:53 PM   #54
rockymtnpilot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i

Unfortunately I won't be picking up my F30 until March...does any know if Dinan does any sort of military discount pricing?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 05:46 AM   #55
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
So, got my car back a couple days ago. Dealership hooked it up, didn't even charge labor! $209 out the door. FWIW, my car has 65k on it and this still made a noticeable difference. Comfort is still very drivable and sport now actually feels sporty. It could still use some springs but for the price this is an absolute no-brainer. FWIW, I also reached out to Dinan to ask about how this would work if I were to get the adaptive Bilstein dampers down the road, and they said that although they haven't tested, they don't see any reason why they wouldn't play nice.

For now, this is plenty for my road-warrioring. When I live somewhere with a good canyon run or decide to hit some track days up, it will be time to throw on some springs (and probably new dampers by that point).

-tgm
Which dealership?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 08:01 AM   #56
tgmsocal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
Quote:

-tgm
Which dealership?
Rather not put any expectations (my SA did it as a favor), plus you're in LA and I'm in Ohio so... not worth the drive lol.

Anyone in the Cincinnati area is welcome to PM me.

-tgm
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 08:29 AM   #57
R32DBP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just got my car back after the shockware and I can definitely feel the difference in stiffness. I mean I had a straight highway drive home from the dealership so I didn't really get to test out the car on some curves but can definitely feel that it's stiffer than before. Now I want to get some springs to finish it up. All in all for the half price of shockware it was worth it.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 10:04 AM   #58
SpecialK
Enlisted Member
Rep

My car is still at the dealer, and I have gone back and forth with them three times now about installing Shockware on my car. They keep saying that the car doesn't have Adaptive M Suspension, when I know for a fact that it does - the VIN decoder indicates so, and the car has the chassis option when configuring sport mode.

I'm going to be a little irritated if I miss out on the sale because of confusion on the dealer's part. I may have to see if Autoscope will let me prepurchase the software and install at a later date...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #59
Jimmy775
Rep
Drives: 2013 335iX 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.speedypants View Post
My car is still at the dealer, and I have gone back and forth with them three times now about installing Shockware on my car. They keep saying that the car doesn't have Adaptive M Suspension, when I know for a fact that it does - the VIN decoder indicates so, and the car has the chassis option when configuring sport mode.

I'm going to be a little irritated if I miss out on the sale because of confusion on the dealer's part. I may have to see if Autoscope will let me prepurchase the software and install at a later date...
I just encountered this same issue on a new to me 2013 335iX. Car has option code S2VF Adaptive M chassis and when you select Sport (from Comfort) there is a notable difference in suspension firmness. However, local DINAN dealer says when running my VIN with DINAN, it shows not valid for Shockware and that my car is not equipped with EDC. Are BMW Adaptive M chassis and EDC different technologies?

Going to call DINAN now for help...

UPDATE: DINAN rep says BMW Adaptive M chassis can come with or without EDC. I need to read more about the different (and confusing) BMW suspension options.

Last edited by Jimmy775; 02-28-2017 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: added info
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 03:10 PM   #60
SpecialK
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy775 View Post
I just encountered this same issue on a new to me 2013 335iX. Car has option code S2VF Adaptive M chassis and when you select Sport (from Comfort) there is a notable difference in suspension firmness. However, local DINAN dealer says when running my VIN with DINAN, it shows not valid for Shockware and that my car is not equipped with EDC. Are BMW Adaptive M chassis and EDC different technologies?

Going to call DINAN now for help...

UPDATE: DINAN rep says BMW Adaptive M chassis can come with or without EDC. I need to read more about the different (and confusing) BMW suspension options.
Autoscope just confirmed with me that Shockware will work on my car. I also have the S2VF option - which is what they based their decision on. I mentioned seeing the accelerometers attached to the side of the front strut tubes, and they agreed that those are a dead giveaway that the car has EDC.

Either way, I'm on my way to pick my car up from the dealer and head over to Autoscope now. I'll report back on what happens.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 06:15 PM   #61
Jimmy775
Rep

I will be interested to learn your results. It is my belief that my F30 also has the correct set up after reading more about the suspension, the Shockware, and looking at the actual shock electronics and P/Ns on the shocks.

Placed a call to the DINAN dealer in question as to my findings and he is looking into it with DINAN as the issue remains where the software won't load to my VIN (not valid). Maybe the issue is with the DINAN side of this solution not correctly recognizing some vehicles?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 06:41 PM   #62
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Decided not to go w/shockware.. will save that money for a power upgrade
besides the missus wants the floating feeling of the comfort mode
and come to think of it, the LCI 340's sport mode suspension is decently stiff.. its probably like a 335 w/shockware after the suspension adjustments done to the lci
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 09:21 PM   #63
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Rather not put any expectations (my SA did it as a favor), plus you're in LA and I'm in Ohio so... not worth the drive lol.

Anyone in the Cincinnati area is welcome to PM me.

-tgm
lol
i could not see the location when i posted as i was on my phone

i got charged $95 labor for the shockware install (seems to be the going rate around here in LA)
i can't wait to go pick up the car in the morning
i thought it would be an easy in and out visit but ended up having to get a rental and leave my car at the dealership for several hours
and then couldn't make it back in time to get it today

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 08:50 AM   #64
SpecialK
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I will be interested to learn your results. It is my belief that my F30 also has the correct set up after reading more about the suspension, the Shockware, and looking at the actual shock electronics and P/Ns on the shocks.

Placed a call to the DINAN dealer in question as to my findings and he is looking into it with DINAN as the issue remains where the software won't load to my VIN (not valid). Maybe the issue is with the DINAN side of this solution not correctly recognizing some vehicles?
I now have Shockware on the car, and am pleased with its performance. Total out the door at Autoscope was $289. Comfort mode is noticeably more settled, no more floating over bumps and railroad crossings. Sport and Sport+ are where it's at, though. The car feels nice and buttoned down now.

I think insanecoder hit the mark comparing pre-LCI F30s with Shockware as performing similar to LCI F30s out of the box. This upgrade is a great stepping stone in preparation for the new Bilstein dampers.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 09:38 AM   #65
a18012
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F32

Quote:
Quote:

I now have Shockware on the car, and am pleased with its performance. Total out the door at Autoscope was $289. Comfort mode is noticeably more settled, no more floating over bumps and railroad crossings. Sport and Sport+ are where it's at, though. The car feels nice and buttoned down now.

I think insanecoder hit the mark comparing pre-LCI F30s with Shockware as performing similar to LCI F30s out of the box. This upgrade is a great stepping stone in preparation for the new Bilstein dampers.
I recently did a idrive software update (via USB port). Car feels a little different, does anyone know if there is a way to confirm if shockware is still installed?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 10:56 AM   #66
Jimmy775
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the update. Going to look for another DINAN dealer or may just have DINAN do it when in the SF Bay Area.
Appreciate 0