F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sport steering in comfort mode
Studio RSR

05-14-2018, 08:07 AM   #45
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
I think what you are describing from your E90 is feedback. The steering feedback that complemented the handling that together made BMW what they are. This has been largely lost in their weak effort at implementing electric vs hydraulic steering and why the 3 Series rarely wins in head to head reviews, even against other cars with electric assist.

Sport at least has weight that simulates the old feedback, poorly, but it is something.
Well said. Neither has any good feel and that's the real issue. My E90 had the best steering of any car I've owned. BMW clearly has no interest in keeping the 3 series as the true sports sedan in it's segment. And in some ways you can't blame them as market research shows their customers found the E90 steering to be too stiff and the feedback too abrupt. I preferred the Sport setting on my F30 for the heft but I would be fine with Comfort if it had any real feel. I just hope that the G20 is improved in every way although it's not realistic to expect the historical qualities to return.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 02:57 PM   #46
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Coming from an e92, the F3x steering in sport mode does not require anywhere near the amount of force needed to turn the wheel. The e9x steering was far better than the F3x in many ways. It was hydraulic, you could feel the road and there was nothing artificial about it. When you got up to speed it naturally lightened up but not so much that it felt lose. The downside was it was harder to turn at slow speeds, but once you became acclimated it felt normal. In fact when I'd drive other cars I'd hate how lose and free the steering wheel was. Felt like an old mans Cadillac or your moms Camry. Hit a bump and the wheel would jerk left and right upsetting the cars balance and compromising stability. The e9x was far more stable in that respect.

Regarding the F3x prefer the sport steering, but find it annoying that if you configure Sport to 'Chassis' only it also stiffens the adaptive suspension (for cars equipped with it) as well. Don't understand why BMW doesn't give you more options to configure your car the way you like. They don't need to give it dedicated M buttons, but there should be a way configure each individual aspect for every mode (Eco Pro, Comfort, Sport, Sport+) in iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 02:44 PM   #47
BMRSEB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 SR+

Also coming from an E90 335i and previous X3, I prefer the tighter steering, yes it's artificial, but beats the comfort steering at least for me.. I drove a friends Mazda3 2015 or '16 don't recall, but a recent one and the steering was more direct than my F30!!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 08:45 PM   #48
5mall5nail5
Not stock
United_States
Rep
Drives: E34 525i Turbo

Guys I can't add much here as a new f30 owner, but I am split on the heavy steering - you have to think about the target - BMW nailed it. Obviously race cars feel like heavy steering! Duh! LOL - that said, I dunno, I don't hate it I don't love it. However, if you think the steering in an F30 is bad... go drive an E34 with a steering box. Even one that's rebuilt/tight. It's literally like driving a car with a boat rudder. It's all a matter of perspective. I love my F30 handling and steering comparatively. Not even a contest.
1987 325e
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 08:47 PM   #49
5mall5nail5
Not stock
United_States
Rep
Drives: E34 525i Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Well said. Neither has any good feel and that's the real issue. My E90 had the best steering of any car I've owned. BMW clearly has no interest in keeping the 3 series as the true sports sedan in it's segment. And in some ways you can't blame them as market research shows their customers found the E90 steering to be too stiff and the feedback too abrupt. I preferred the Sport setting on my F30 for the heft but I would be fine with Comfort if it had any real feel. I just hope that the G20 is improved in every way although it's not realistic to expect the historical qualities to return.
Actually they say they the G20 will be "much improved" with different steering geometry, etc. Reviews have been "fanatical" about the steering improvement.
1987 325e
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 08:59 PM   #50
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I can put it in sport mode with chassis only setting so I have the heavier steering with comfort throttle response, but find little use for that. I sometimes use sport throttle response with comfort steering, but like you said it is too loose and disconnected, sport steering inspires greater confidence but works best with sport throttle response.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 10:06 AM   #51
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
Actually they say they the G20 will be "much improved" with different steering geometry, etc. Reviews have been "fanatical" about the steering improvement.
Do you realize my quote is 6 months old and well before any reviews of the G20? I’m thrilled that BMW has apparently done a much better job with the steering of the new 3 series. As far as fanatical, that’s generous.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 04:36 PM   #52
25milesfromhome
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i ZHP

If I'm understanding correctly, selecting chassis only for Sport mode retains the sport steering but comfort throttle mapping. Is there a way to code the car to use sport steering in both "Comfort" and "Sport" modes?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 07:06 PM   #53
gpchamp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 440i GC '23 Tesla Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Almost universally. Even in M School the instructors tend to prefer comfort steering.
Yup. I recently had the pleasure of attending the 2-day M Performance driving school and in every session the instructors had us set the steering in comfort mode and everything else (throttle & suspension) in Sport+.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 11:45 AM   #54
henkinc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi MT

To Jf F30 re coding using Bimmercode

NO way would I try this myself, but I asked one indie shop if they could recode my adaptive suspension to keep sport steering while in comfort mode. They said "no." It is the oem setting. Are you aware of shops that do this sort of thing? I am in N Virginia. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 12:03 PM   #55
henkinc
Private First Class
Rep

gpchamp experience with 2018 F30s at driving school

Sadly, it seems the older 335i cars (say pre-2016 for sure, and maybe even pre-2018) do not allow for the sport steering in comfort mode. I am curious when this flexible setting became available.

BMW parses these things out. I understand the 2015 335i shows individual tire pressures when asked. Mine - same car but 2014- only says - pressure ok or low. No warning when getting lower before it hits the 25 psi point.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 07:04 PM   #56
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by henkinc View Post
Sadly, it seems the older 335i cars (say pre-2016 for sure, and maybe even pre-2018) do not allow for the sport steering in comfort mode. I am curious when this flexible setting became available.

BMW parses these things out. I understand the 2015 335i shows individual tire pressures when asked. Mine - same car but 2014- only says - pressure ok or low. No warning when getting lower before it hits the 25 psi point.
This is incorrect. Both can be coded, sport mode configuration and showing tire pressures. I have done so on my 2013 335i. Searching in the coding forums should give you all the steps necessary to accomplish this.
      02-07-2019, 04:17 PM   #57
henkinc
Private First Class
Rep

coding forums

Uh - how do I find these forums. Also, any idea if an independent shop will make the changes I want for TMPS readings and steering in comfort?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 04:43 PM   #58
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Uh - how do I find these forums.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=429
Quote:
Also, any idea if an independent shop will make the changes I want for TMPS readings and steering in comfort?
They will if they have the ability to code. But paying someone else to do what it only takes a minimum investment to do yourself is illogical IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 05:33 AM   #59
motoring_101
Private
Rep
Drives: 335D X-drive

Sport+

Hi all,

I was messing around with Sport Mode and Chassis only and Drive-train only this morning on the way to work, my thoughts are that I don't like the heavier steering as it is just that, heavier and I can see why some prefer the lighter comfort mode as it offers possibly more feedback (although still not a lot of feedback, going to try wider front tyres/spacers when due to see if this helps at all)!

I also don't see the need for a more sensitive accelerator pedal, I assume the engine is still in the same state of tune in comfort and Sport/Sport + mode, if anyone can confirm this that would be good?

With regards to the AT, does putting the shift lever across to "M/S" have the same affect on the shift points as putting it into Sport Mode?

I also like driving with some of the Traction control turned off and put it into Sport+, however I believe you then have to use Sport Steering and Accelerator settings, my concern is that I will spend 90% of the time driving around with Comfort Steering and Accelerator settings and get used to that, and then when I go into Sport+, and need to have complete control of the car via steering and Accelerator inputs, they will have a completely different feeling!

So my real question is does anyone know if there is a way of coding Sport+ mode to retain Comfort Steering and Accelerator settings or enabling DTC without going into Sport+?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 06:45 AM   #60
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoring_101 View Post
Hi all,

I was messing around with Sport Mode and Chassis only and Drive-train only this morning on the way to work, my thoughts are that I don't like the heavier steering as it is just that, heavier and I can see why some prefer the lighter comfort mode as it offers possibly more feedback (although still not a lot of feedback, going to try wider front tyres/spacers when due to see if this helps at all)!

I also don't see the need for a more sensitive accelerator pedal, I assume the engine is still in the same state of tune in comfort and Sport/Sport + mode, if anyone can confirm this that would be good?

With regards to the AT, does putting the shift lever across to "M/S" have the same affect on the shift points as putting it into Sport Mode?

I also like driving with some of the Traction control turned off and put it into Sport+, however I believe you then have to use Sport Steering and Accelerator settings, my concern is that I will spend 90% of the time driving around with Comfort Steering and Accelerator settings and get used to that, and then when I go into Sport+, and need to have complete control of the car via steering and Accelerator inputs, they will have a completely different feeling!

So my real question is does anyone know if there is a way of coding Sport+ mode to retain Comfort Steering and Accelerator settings or enabling DTC without going into Sport+?
I prefer the normal (comfort) steering in my 5-series, the sport setting is more artificial and damps out more of the limited road feel. Also prefer the linear throttle mapping, more control of modulating the inputs, particularly to influence the AT change points. There is no more power with sport throttle mapping, just the different throttle sensitivities.

Moving the shifter to M/S is the full sport programming, Sport mode is more a 'half-way' sport map, depending on the other mode settings.

You can drive in Comfort mode and use the DTC function, to benefit from less DSC intervention. You don't need Sport+ to have the same DTC function.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 07:51 AM   #61
motoring_101
Private
Rep
Drives: 335D X-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I prefer the normal (comfort) steering in my 5-series, the sport setting is more artificial and damps out more of the limited road feel. Also prefer the linear throttle mapping, more control of modulating the inputs, particularly to influence the AT change points. There is no more power with sport throttle mapping, just the different throttle sensitivities.

Moving the shifter to M/S is the full sport programming, Sport mode is more a 'half-way' sport map, depending on the other mode settings.

You can drive in Comfort mode and use the DTC function, to benefit from less DSC intervention. You don't need Sport+ to have the same DTC function.
That's great news, thanks buddy! I will have a look later at how to switch on DTC without Sport+

With the steering I think the biggest issue is that I have jumped out of an E46 into an F30 and really notice the difference, never drove the E90 so can't comment on them but the E46 had such great feedback and was so confidence inspiring! I am hoping the ACS springs on my wishlist help give a more confident feel, which by most accounts they do.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 10:02 AM   #62
henkinc
Private First Class
Rep

DIY from BillFitz for showing psi on 2014 335Xi

HI BillFitz- I can't sort through all the DIY messages and find the one that makes the simple upgrade to show psi from TPMS instead of dumbed-down go/no go from TPMS. Can you please post that or message me with that specific code instructions? I have the hardware in the car, obviously and don't need hardware info.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 10:37 PM   #63
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
HI BillFitz- I can't sort through all the DIY messages and find the one that makes the simple upgrade to show psi from TPMS instead of dumbed-down go/no go from TPMS. Can you please post that or message me with that specific code instructions? I have the hardware in the car, obviously and don't need hardware info.
Thanks.
You need to code it. If you don't have something like Bimmercode, Carly, or ISTA, get one of those first.
      09-28-2020, 04:51 AM   #64
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologic View Post
Thanks to this thread I just drove in Sport with comfort steering for the first time. Easy config change, however there is no option I found to change Sport+ which is a shame because I like that mode too. Anyway this is much preferred. I like comfort feel a lot better, not because the heavier steering is too heavy, just because it seems a bit useless to me. I can only feel the slightest resistance when cornering. So it's a bit of a "what's the point" issue for me - why have heavier steering if essentially it's mostly artificial.

I had a BMW with hydraulic steering before and it was much better. So this feels like piping in the engine sound because the cabins are so quiet, haha. Having said it's a pretty minor flaw in the overall car. If it were an option I'd get it but I wouldn't pay a ton for it.
Hi

How did you make it work? I also hate the heavy Sport/Sport+/DSC OFF steering!