F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2012 328i makes a whining noise when it stops?
Studio RSR

11-15-2019, 02:03 PM   #1
Navi96
Rep
Drives: BWM 328i

2012 328i makes a whining noise when it stops?

Hello all,

Can someone please help me figure out what is causing my car to make a whining noise almost everytime the car stops. Idk but I think It's something to do with the auto start/stop feature.

Almost every time I come to a slow stop and the car gets ready into "Ready" mode it makes like almost screeching noise. It's as if the car is having trouble going into the off mode. It doesn't happen everytime I stop at a light or park my car in the driveway, but it will once in awhile do that. In fact the video I recorded was me pulling in the driveway and slowly pressing the breaks. I stopped slowly so I can get the car to make the noise for a longer time.

The car knows I'm about to stop and turn off, and that's when it will start making the noise until it finally shuts off. Something with a belt maybe?

I got the car from Carmax back in April and I didn't notice it before. Its super annoying because everytime I'm in stop and go traffic it will make that noise and it can be very noticeable if your next to my car. I just went to the dealership last weekend and I told the guy the problem and even showed him the video and he said he will let check it out. Well after the oil change a sales girl just gave me my keys back and that was it. No one came to talk to me after. (The reviews at the Steve Thomas BMW in Camarillo aren't really steller....)

I'm at a lost really. Suggestions? Have you heard of this problem before? https://vimeo.com/373475423
Newbie to the BMW family.

TLDR; Car makes whining noise when it stops, what could it be.

For fun tho here's the car. After I fix this stuff its getting the windows tinted lol.
Attached Images

Last edited by Navi96; 11-15-2019 at 11:08 PM..
Appreciate 2
sspade2464.50
      11-15-2019, 04:31 PM   #2
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F22 230i MSport

Does it make the same noise with the auto start stop disabled? I would have it looked at by service or indie bmw tech; sounds like a slipping belt.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 07:41 PM   #3
Navi96
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown View Post
Does it make the same noise with the auto start stop disabled? I would have it looked at by service or indie bmw tech; sounds like a slipping belt.
I think I tried turning off the start stop but it still did it. I'm going to try again on the drive home from work.
If it could be a belt just explain that to the mechanic basically?
It's not a horrible issue just concerned I guess.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 09:45 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

That could be a belt, or a bearing, maybe in the alternator. I'd get it looked at right away, by someone competent this time.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 11:24 PM   #5
Navi96
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
That could be a belt, or a bearing, maybe in the alternator. I'd get it looked at right away, by someone competent this time.
for reals. I don't think the guy at the dealership even once looked at me. Just stared at the computer the entire time. Smh.
Appreciate 2
eluded3005.00
      11-16-2019, 01:44 AM   #6
AngelFarelli
Second Lieutenant
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: BMW n52 e90

I used to have the same issue with my 2012 f30 335i with the n55 engine. I replaced the battery in my key and when I press the push to start I hold the key up to the key icon behind the steering wheel. Make sure to apply the emergency brake when parking your car but more importantly release the emergency brake before you try starting the car. These helped me with the issue greatly. Do some research into pvc failure and valve cover gasket leak. The sound of the whining is similar to the sound when air is leaking out of the valve cover gasket and/ or pvc. Just try to baby it as much as possible. Good luck 👍
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 07:47 AM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Alicia View Post
I don't think the guy at the dealership even once looked at me. Just stared at the computer the entire time.
That's a requirement for issues that are best diagnosed via the car electronics. Some faults can only be diagnosed that way. But when something is obvious as that noise you don't need to run a Level 3 Diagnostic to confirm what your ears have already told you.

This reminds me of the question "How many computer code writers doe it take to change a light bulb?"

The answer is none. That's hardware.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 12:01 PM   #8
zeikei
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

The closest one I can think of is excess vacuum created by a torn PCV valve membrane, check the youtube link from 0:55 seconds. In your case the very end is strange as it sounds just like a handbrake squeal but if it comes from engine bay then obviously it is not handbrake

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 01:30 PM   #9
Navi96
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelFarelli View Post
I used to have the same issue with my 2012 f30 335i with the n55 engine. I replaced the battery in my key and when I press the push to start I hold the key up to the key icon behind the steering wheel. Make sure to apply the emergency brake when parking your car but more importantly release the emergency brake before you try starting the car. These helped me with the issue greatly. Do some research into pvc failure and valve cover gasket leak. The sound of the whining is similar to the sound when air is leaking out of the valve cover gasket and/ or pvc. Just try to baby it as much as possible. Good luck 👍
I'll definitely look into that. Thank you for the tips!!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 01:32 PM   #10
Navi96
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeikei View Post
The closest one I can think of is excess vacuum created by a torn PCV valve membrane, check the youtube link from 0:55 seconds. In your case the very end is strange as it sounds just like a handbrake squeal but if it comes from engine bay then obviously it is not handbrake
Dang dude thank you! Mine does sound similar to that. Alittle reassuring that some people do get this issue. I'm going to get a mechanic to look into it. Hopefully I can update so incase someone else has this issue the thread will help.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 08:44 PM   #11
AngelFarelli
Second Lieutenant
Abu Dhabi
Rep

Any update on the issue? I'm still having it occasionally weirdest thing is it only makes the sound when I'm starting the car right when it happens I turn it off immediately and turn it off completely and lock the car then I turn the car back on press hard as I can on the break pedal and it starts fine. Seems like if I don't press hard enough on the pedal it causes it to happen? Squealing pig sounds starts as soon as the car is starting and stays on until I drive above 10 mph but louder at idle then goes away right when I turn the car off then will go away and work perfectly right when I turn it back on properly ???? What is the issue here definitely sounds like pcv but why is it happening synergistically with the starting of the car ??
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 08:53 PM   #12
AngelFarelli
Second Lieutenant
Abu Dhabi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post

This is the sound of my car
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 03:28 PM   #13
JdubsF30
JdubsF30
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i

Garage List
2015 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Mine does the same thing. But seems to only do it when the Auto Stop is on. Sense I noticed I have not used Auto stop and don't hear it. But still something it clearly wrong. I'll mention it next time it's in for service.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 12:29 AM   #14
Navi96
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelFarelli View Post
Any update on the issue?
Hey ! Yes actually the sound has been less since the advice you gave me about making sure to release the emergency brake before starting the car. I ment to say thank you! I still have the sound from time to time when I pull up to park in my drive way :/ but its not as loud and the duration is much shorter. The car has been running much better now that I pay more attention on how I drive versus just driving wild as soon as I start up the car lol.

Thanks everyone for the help! I'll update again if and when I find a permanent fix.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 07:19 AM   #15
jaapk
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 528i

I have the same issue

Hi Navi96,

Did you ever find the cause of this issue? I'm really interested since I have the same irritating issue on my car..

Thnx, Jaap
Appreciate 0