F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > My BMW 340i experience (disappointing to say the least)

10-25-2019, 11:25 PM   #1
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

My BMW 340i experience (disappointing to say the least)

As soon as I heard that the B 58 engine was going to be included In Toyota supra I know that BMW had done something excellent and perhaps I was not wrong. However in the case of my 2016 BMW 340i I was wildly mistaken. I decided to start off light always put show 93 premium in the gas tank. Always use bmw oil/filters. Always have maintenance done there. And in stock form the car flew. It was beautiful. Then I got bored I picked up VRSF catless downpipe. the kind of smiles that this part alone put on my face were countless. I tell you this was singlehandedly the best thing done to the car. Then I decided to play with some tunes. I had the Dinan sport tune and this scared the hell out of me. I would stay far far away from it if possible. Butt dyno says it added maybe 15hp at the midrange. But on the low? the throttle hesitated for a good seven or 8 seconds!!! Of no power. I took that off as soon as possible it's still sitting in my garage for anyone that's looking to die. I only had this on the car because I was incredibly impressed with the carbon fiber cold air intake they sold me for $616.16 (yes this is worth it over the funky bms one i had for a little while) Then I picked up the JB4. I heard so many good things about it I was mistaken I had my Bluetooth connected and I thought I ruled the world. One day I took off the day before because it wasn't giving me the smoothest power. I looked into MG flasher MHD and active eight. I settled on MHD after a lengthy 15 minute flash and Max burbles and removal of the Vmax I fell in love with a car all over again I ran this for about 2 months then I purchased the stage two map pack. And then I contacted a custom tuner for help and I ran MHD+JB4 and encountered my first set of issues. Low power, misfires, etc. i took the jb4 out of the car once again incredibly disappointed. The car continued to misfire. New plugs, new coil pack for cylinder #6 and were back to MHD stage 2+ 93 again and I fell back in love. Then I purchased Xdelete which was SO much fun. I took my all season tires down to the wire then i purchased pilot sport 4s. Top speed runs with incredible grip and smoothness. Then i pulled up next to a 392 who really wanted to race. Popped it into sport plus and what do you know. Drivetrain malfunction. Visit service advisor immediately. I pulled over, checked my oil and it was low. Changed it, cleaned the intake and my local indy said i was good to go. 2 days later im filling another quart of oil. 50 miles after that another quart and im still low. Oh yeah and mounds of thick white smoke from the exhaust. No worries, back to the indy. He recommended a full stock flash and a new crankcase breather ventilation cover because the PCV is causing blowby. Even tho there are puddles in my driveway. Whatever. 2 grand later and im leaking out again! I am getting rid of this car, I absolutely hate it now. Loved these forums, the zimmerman akebono brakes were great, and the handling was alright. This car had me very emotionally attached but now its time for it to go. Goodbye everyone you've all been great.

Ps. The 6wb gauge cluster could be ALOT better for $1k+
      10-27-2019, 09:30 AM   #2
cmplaya
Captain
Rep
Drives: B58

i had severe recall issues on mine so now not messing with any third party stuff to preserve warranty and its been great

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrmdoom View Post
As soon as I heard that the B 58 engine was going to be included In Toyota supra I know that BMW had done something excellent and perhaps I was not wrong. However in the case of my 2016 BMW 340i I was wildly mistaken. I decided to start off light always put show 93 premium in the gas tank. Always use bmw oil/filters. Always have maintenance done there. And in stock form the car flew. It was beautiful. Then I got bored I picked up VRSF catless downpipe. the kind of smiles that this part alone put on my face were countless. I tell you this was singlehandedly the best thing done to the car. Then I decided to play with some tunes. I had the Dinan sport tune and this scared the hell out of me. I would stay far far away from it if possible. Butt dyno says it added maybe 15hp at the midrange. But on the low? the throttle hesitated for a good seven or 8 seconds!!! Of no power. I took that off as soon as possible it's still sitting in my garage for anyone that's looking to die. I only had this on the car because I was incredibly impressed with the carbon fiber cold air intake they sold me for $616.16 (yes this is worth it over the funky bms one i had for a little while) Then I picked up the JB4. I heard so many good things about it I was mistaken I had my Bluetooth connected and I thought I ruled the world. One day I took off the day before because it wasn't giving me the smoothest power. I looked into MG flasher MHD and active eight. I settled on MHD after a lengthy 15 minute flash and Max burbles and removal of the Vmax I fell in love with a car all over again I ran this for about 2 months then I purchased the stage two map pack. And then I contacted a custom tuner for help and I ran MHD+JB4 and encountered my first set of issues. Low power, misfires, etc. i took the jb4 out of the car once again incredibly disappointed. The car continued to misfire. New plugs, new coil pack for cylinder #6 and were back to MHD stage 2+ 93 again and I fell back in love. Then I purchased Xdelete which was SO much fun. I took my all season tires down to the wire then i purchased pilot sport 4s. Top speed runs with incredible grip and smoothness. Then i pulled up next to a 392 who really wanted to race. Popped it into sport plus and what do you know. Drivetrain malfunction. Visit service advisor immediately. I pulled over, checked my oil and it was low. Changed it, cleaned the intake and my local indy said i was good to go. 2 days later im filling another quart of oil. 50 miles after that another quart and im still low. Oh yeah and mounds of thick white smoke from the exhaust. No worries, back to the indy. He recommended a full stock flash and a new crankcase breather ventilation cover because the PCV is causing blowby. Even tho there are puddles in my driveway. Whatever. 2 grand later and im leaking out again! I am getting rid of this car, I absolutely hate it now. Loved these forums, the zimmerman akebono brakes were great, and the handling was alright. This car had me very emotionally attached but now its time for it to go. Goodbye everyone you've all been great.

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 09:32 AM   #3
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmplaya View Post
i had severe recall issues on mine so now not messing with any third party stuff to preserve warranty and its been great

Quote:

No reported recalls for my vin.
Cant expect that a supra engine wont be able to handle a few bolt ons that are mostly breathers and tunes.
      10-28-2019, 04:09 PM   #4
240Newbie
Learning
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M240 M Performance

So you're mad because you modded a car and your independent shop doesn't know what they are doing..... got it.
Appreciate 6
rjd5981226.50
cmplaya194.00
greekcs396.50

11-18-2019, 04:23 PM   #5
Ride_Dirt
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi 6sp

one thing I learned from my 335 n54. If you want the car to last and not have issues DONT TUNE. Yes i want to tune my 340 badly but I want a working car more.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 04:35 PM   #6
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride_Dirt View Post
one thing I learned from my 335 n54. If you want the car to last and not have issues DONT TUNE. Yes i want to tune my 340 badly but I want a working car more.
solid advice. Too bad i learned it the hard way
      11-19-2019, 01:21 PM   #7
percychow
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

Yeah... cars can be a bottomless money pit. No judgements here. I did similar years ago. You keep throwing money, time, parts at it because it could go faster, handle better, etc.

FWIW - I got out of this cycle with track time.

Once I hit a fully instructed track (e.g. BMW Car Club school), it just changed my perspective of driving fast. I learned it really is all about me. Doesn't matter how fast the car until my own skills match it. For instance, would you ever think a stock BRZ could outrun a big V8 Aston Martin? Or even an Acura NSX? On the street, in a straight line, of course not...

But at Laguna Seca, I lapped those cars. I'm not bragging about my driving ability, but rather the confidence level I got from learning to drive fast (regardless of car) helped me enjoy the ownership experience more - because I knew how to push the car based on my skillsets.

Sorry to see you go!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:36 PM   #8
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmplaya View Post

Quote:

No reported recalls for my vin.
Cant expect that a supra engine wont be able to handle a few bolt ons that are mostly breathers and tunes.
I dont have reported recalls either. Car still went.
      11-22-2019, 01:31 PM   #9
Vinboyblue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

I been thinking about a tune for the longest while I have a 2014 F30 (bought new) and for me the car is amazing. after reading this, i probable wont even consider an MPPK. My car if officially now out of extended warranty.
Appreciate 0