F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Maintenance
ARMA SPEED

08-31-2021, 12:45 AM   #1
Jdpfox
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i MSport

Maintenance

Hi everyone this is my 1st time posting, so here goes. Started my bimma journey in 2015 with a e90 335i xdrive no mods, crashed it about a year ago and my new beauty came on the seen. 340i M Sport automatic transmission, current mods: H&R sport springs front and back, 15 mm rear spacers, new oem rotors and pads up front w/new pads in the back, Michelin sport 4s tires, vrsf aluminum charge pipe and catless dp, BMS intake, BM3 stage 2. Ordered and waiting for an AWE cat back exhaust, arriving tomorrow. All these were done since February up until now. My baby gonna be so nice…!!! I’m currently at 58,000 miles. My question is aught I change my spark plugs and flush the transmission before putting her back on the road..??
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 02:59 AM   #2
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdpfox View Post
Hi everyone this is my 1st time posting, so here goes. Started my bimma journey in 2015 with a e90 335i xdrive no mods, crashed it about a year ago and my new beauty came on the seen. 340i M Sport automatic transmission, current mods: H&R sport springs front and back, 15 mm rear spacers, new oem rotors and pads up front w/new pads in the back, Michelin sport 4s tires, vrsf aluminum charge pipe and catless dp, BMS intake, BM3 stage 2. Ordered and waiting for an AWE cat back exhaust, arriving tomorrow. All these were done since February up until now. My baby gonna be so nice…!!! I’m currently at 58,000 miles. My question is aught I change my spark plugs and flush the transmission before putting her back on the road..??
If the spark plugs haven't been changed, I would. I'd test the brake fluid, and no rush on the trans fluid but i'd recommend getting it done within the next 10k miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 03:43 AM   #3
Jdpfox
United_States
Rep

I appreciate the advice @davidr3..!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 09:13 AM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidr3 View Post
If the spark plugs haven't been changed, I would. I'd test the brake fluid, and no rush on the trans fluid but i'd recommend getting it done within the next 10k miles.
Under normal circumstances, the transmission fluid can last at least 75K miles. Due to mods and increased horsepower, I also suggest to replace it since extra horsepower translates into more stress for transmission components.

Few more suggestions:

- Inspect front control arms for any extra play in bushings
- Replace differential fluid

Good thread to read about fluid changes:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1544150
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 10:41 AM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdpfox View Post
At 60k miles and tuning the engine you are at the perfect time to do the automatic transmission service (which means fluid, bolts, pan with integrated filter) and rear differential fluid.

ZF makes the transmission so you can't do better than the ZF service kit. FCP Euro has it. And you'll need one bottle of rear differential fluid. Make sure you get the correct one for your differential. I just use BMW fluid from FCP. Can't get better than that and with FCP warranty never have to pay for it again. I'd change it every 30k miles on a tuned car.

Transmission isn't just a simple drain and fill. There's a specific procedure. Have an experienced shop do it.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 11:05 AM   #6
Psi5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW F32 440i

+1 on transmission and diff fluid. I do mine every 50k miles rain or shine (with mods, YMMV); it's cheap insurance. Remember that BMW "lifetime fill" fluids just mean until they fail. Could be 50k, 100k, or longer, but not necessarily the life of the car.
2013 Mazda 3 6MT
2008 Honda Oddyssey
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 05:21 PM   #7
malimx6
Rep
Drives: F30

Hello,
I also bought my 328i xDrive Msport over a year ago. I currently have 103K km (not miles). I went to couple of dealerships asking about tranny and differential fluid change and they told me it's lifetime and they don't recommend changing. I told them it has 100k km and they said it doesn't matter even if it had 300K km, they don't recommend changing it. They also said they don't guarantee if tranny starts slipping after they complete fluid flush. They quoted me around $900 CAD for tranny and differential fluid change.

Has anyone had tranny problem after flushing fluid? How often have you changed it and how many km/miles have you driven it after the flush?

p.s. my car is stock and a literally baby it lo.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 05:58 PM   #8
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

I drive 2012 X3, current mileage 98K miles (...157Km). Trans fluid/filter & transfer case fluids/adaptions reset changed at 75K miles (120Km). No issues, noticed improvement in very slow speed driving (pulling into garage)...likely due to transfer case fluid/adaption reset. No noticeable effect on transmission shifting.

Shop does not flush transmission, they simply drain/refill, so less than 100% of fluid is removed/refilled. Work performed by independent Euro car shop, cost: U.S.$700.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 07:23 PM   #9
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
I changed my transmission fluid and filter at 39k in my garage. I’m at 45k miles now. No issues. I had shops try to sell me the same lifetime/fear of touching it story.

In all honesty that tells me they’re not knowledgeable enough to do the service and are giving themselves a fallback in case they screw up. At 100,000 km you are not going to make the transmission slip by servicing it, that’s right around the average recommended mileage to do it. On top of that, as mentioned above, the procedure is a drain and fill, not a flush. If they’re using the word flush, it’s pretty clear they’ve never done it before. I’d find a different shop.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 11:45 PM   #10
Jdpfox
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Under normal circumstances, the transmission fluid can last at least 75K miles. Due to mods and increased horsepower, I also suggest to replace it since extra horsepower translates into more stress for transmission components.

Few more suggestions:

- Inspect front control arms for any extra play in bushings
- Replace differential fluid

Good thread to read about fluid changes:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1544150
I’ll definitely have the shop check out the control arms…Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 11:52 PM   #11
Jdpfox
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
At 60k miles and tuning the engine you are at the perfect time to do the automatic transmission service (which means fluid, bolts, pan with integrated filter) and rear differential fluid.

ZF makes the transmission so you can't do better than the ZF service kit. FCP Euro has it. And you'll need one bottle of rear differential fluid. Make sure you get the correct one for your differential. I just use BMW fluid from FCP. Can't get better than that and with FCP warranty never have to pay for it again. I'd change it every 30k miles on a tuned car.

Transmission isn't just a simple drain and fill. There's a specific procedure. Have an experienced shop do it.
Thanks@johnung. I’ve had all the work done at the same shop here in Orlando. I will definitely mention to them a transmission service and rear diff fluid change!!!
Appreciate 1
johnung4525.00
      09-05-2021, 11:53 PM   #12
Jdpfox
United_States
Rep

Thanks for clarifying transmission service vs fluid change/flush.
Appreciate 2
Wgosma806.00
johnung4525.00