F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Xdrive suspension thread
Studio RSR

07-31-2015, 03:41 PM   #45
bbog2008
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive

<< U bent in het bezit van een BMW 3 Serie F31 xDrive Touring uit het bouwjaar 2014. Graag verneemt u van ons waarom dit model niet met verlaagd onderstel wordt aangeboden. In antwoord op uw vraag kan ik het volgende bij u aangeven. Om het xDrive systeem onder de auto te kunnen monteren en ook bodemvrijheid te behouden is dit model niet met verlaagd onderstel leverbaar.

2. About the angles of the frontaxles there is something written in a book titled ' Fahrwerkhandbuch' ( in German) written by Bernd Heising, Metin Ersoy and Stefan Gies. ISBN 978-3-8348-0821-9

For more background information about car handling and setup etc. I can recommand the following titles:
- Radaufhanging und Bremsen, by Des Hammill ( also in English available) ISBN 978-3-89880-559-9
- How to make your car handle by Fred Puhn, ISBN 978-0-91265-646-5
- High Performance handling by Don Alexander ISBN 978-0-7603-3994-7
- Auto Tuning by Gert Hack (BMW Engineer and editor of Auto, Motor and Sport ISBN 90-201-2928-7
- Fahrdynamik in Perfection by Wolfgang Weber ( Rallye/Racing driver, trainer, instructor and testdriver) ISBN 978-3-613-03254-5 >>

Darn, now I have to read all this.

I was only hopping to get a paragraph or two that would explain why there is a negative impact on lowering the car, and how low is too low in that respect.

As for the explanation from BMW Netherlands - it is very vague. No real explanation other that BMW wants to keep the ground clearance unchanged, and that this model does not come with a lower suspension. They do not say anything against lowering or that there could be potentially negative effects after lowering the car.

My only request is to get someone to explain a bit the negatives of lowering.

Last edited by bbog2008; 07-31-2015 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 06:33 AM   #46
Alpes
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 Xdrive 320i Mpackage

Last edited by Alpes; 08-21-2015 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2015, 01:01 PM   #47
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Final is working on sway bars for the x drive models thankfully, got the info from them yesterday. No projected release date though.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 09:45 AM   #48
DG335
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSecaBlue View Post
I have dhp and lowered on h&r sports. ride is ok, def better than stock...but thinking of changing to kw's...just not sure if my rims/tires will fit under the fenders if I go any lower
How is that M perf. front lip clearance? I feel like it would scrape everywhere..
(Also I think I've seen you around..GTA area?)
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 11:43 AM   #49
Earthmaster
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15' M4 Austin Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG335 View Post
How is that M perf. front lip clearance? I feel like it would scrape everywhere..
(Also I think I've seen you around..GTA area?)
I scrape sometimes. Was worse when i first got car. Got used to driving at angles.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 04:47 PM   #50
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthmaster View Post
I scrape sometimes. Was worse when i first got car. Got used to driving at angles.
Ditto. Scrape sometimes, but nothing unmanageable. Angles are your friend.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 12:47 AM   #51
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
2015 335 xdrive w/dhp.

Lowered with H&R Sport Springs.
Only lowers 1.3" front, 0.7" rear. This is probably as low as I want to go. I already have challenges scraping the bottom of the front lip.

On that note, I'm looking at changing to coils but have found most coil options drop the car significantly more.

Anyone have experience with pairing up a set of struts with H&R sport springs? Would love to hear some feedback. Have also thought about maybe just doing the dinan s-ware as another option.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 07:31 PM   #52
LastFrontierBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 F32 435i xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30toF30 View Post
2015 335 xdrive w/dhp.

Lowered with H&R Sport Springs.
Only lowers 1.3" front, 0.7" rear. This is probably as low as I want to go. I already have challenges scraping the bottom of the front lip.

On that note, I'm looking at changing to coils but have found most coil options drop the car significantly more.

Anyone have experience with pairing up a set of struts with H&R sport springs? Would love to hear some feedback. Have also thought about maybe just doing the dinan s-ware as another option.
I'm in a 435i xDrive with static suspension. I first added H&R Sport springs with stock dampers. It was over-sprung and under-damped, so I added Bilstein B8 shocks and struts. While it was quite nice on perfect roads, the ride was $hI7 when the suspension was under the slightest duress. On choppy, bumpy roads it "slammed" and lost composure. My driving became tentative everywhere. After 9,000 miles (yes, I'm tenacious) I gave up on the H&Rs and I've just swapped them for DINAN springs. It's night and day. The ride is now firm, almost stiff, but with a suppleness over rolling bumps and excellent composure over choppy, crappy roads. Mind you, I've got 1 1/2 to 2 fingers of clearance in the front and 1 1/2 fingers rear, i.e., it rides higher than the H&Rs, which were almost tucked into the front fender and 1 1/2 fingers clearance in the rear. While it's higher than it was on the H&Rs, it's still considerably lower than stock xDrive and looks great. I'll take the renewed ride of the DINAN springs with Bilstein B8s any day. It's the balance of sporty performance and drivability I was looking for when I first began making changes to the stock xDrive suspension. Very pleased after 4 days of driving.
2014 435i xDrive MSport / Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / MPPK / 6MT / 19" / M Sport Brakes / DINAN Springs / Bilstein B8 / Technology Package / Premium Package / Cold Weather Package / Driver Assist / HK Sound
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2015, 02:01 PM   #53
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastFrontierBimmer View Post
I'm in a 435i xDrive with static suspension. I first added H&R Sport springs with stock dampers. It was over-sprung and under-damped, so I added Bilstein B8 shocks and struts. While it was quite nice on perfect roads, the ride was $hI7 when the suspension was under the slightest duress. On choppy, bumpy roads it "slammed" and lost composure. My driving became tentative everywhere. After 9,000 miles (yes, I'm tenacious) I gave up on the H&Rs and I've just swapped them for DINAN springs. It's night and day. The ride is now firm, almost stiff, but with a suppleness over rolling bumps and excellent composure over choppy, crappy roads. Mind you, I've got 1 1/2 to 2 fingers of clearance in the front and 1 1/2 fingers rear, i.e., it rides higher than the H&Rs, which were almost tucked into the front fender and 1 1/2 fingers clearance in the rear. While it's higher than it was on the H&Rs, it's still considerably lower than stock xDrive and looks great. I'll take the renewed ride of the DINAN springs with Bilstein B8s any day. It's the balance of sporty performance and drivability I was looking for when I first began making changes to the stock xDrive suspension. Very pleased after 4 days of driving.

Thanks for your feedback! This is very helpful.
Does anyone else have any input on this? Pairing struts with H&R Sport on the xdrive?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 11:57 PM   #54
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 385xi VNV Speed Custom

Garage List
I have EDC and Dinan springs, are there any EDC shock options to pair with my Dinan springs? I can't find any that don't replace my Dinan springs or remove my EDC.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 06:01 AM   #55
Darekme
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastFrontierBimmer View Post
In Europe where Dinan is less popular you can achieve the same good result with Eibach Pro Kit springs and Bilstein B8. I have it on 335ix for few months and it is superb. Before this combination I tried H&R with B8 and this combination does not work together. H&R springs are too short for B8 and all body weight is carried by shocks so you do not have any amortisation provided by springs.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 12:02 AM   #56
LastFrontierBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 F32 435i xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darekme View Post
In Europe where Dinan is less popular you can achieve the same good result with Eibach Pro Kit springs and Bilstein B8. I have it on 335ix for few months and it is superb. Before this combination I tried H&R with B8 and this combination does not work together. H&R springs are too short for B8 and all body weight is carried by shocks so you do not have any amortisation provided by springs.
Sounds plausible given my experience. Had I seen your post before having the H&Rs removed, I'd've asked my mechanic to see whether the springs appeared to be bearing the weight or the struts. Either way, the ride continues to be fantastic with the DINAN/Bilstein B8 combination.
2014 435i xDrive MSport / Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / MPPK / 6MT / 19" / M Sport Brakes / DINAN Springs / Bilstein B8 / Technology Package / Premium Package / Cold Weather Package / Driver Assist / HK Sound
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 09:21 AM   #57
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darekme View Post
I wonder if this is the case with h&r springs and the stock dhp struts. Is the stock dhp strut bearing the weight?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 10:20 PM   #58
3.0hyeah
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar View Post
I have EDC and Dinan springs, are there any EDC shock options to pair with my Dinan springs? I can't find any that don't replace my Dinan springs or remove my EDC.
Why are you trying to replace your shocks? What do you think of your cuurent combination of Shockware and Dinan springs?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 05:37 PM   #59
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30toF30 View Post
I wonder if this is the case with h&r springs and the stock dhp struts. Is the stock dhp strut bearing the weight?
Got my answer for this. No issues with stock struts bearing the weight as per clarification from the guy who installed my springs.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 07:35 PM   #60
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 385xi VNV Speed Custom

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0hyeah
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar View Post
Why are you trying to replace your shocks? What do you think of your cuurent combination of Shockware and Dinan springs?
I like the current setup with Shockware and the Dinan springs. But after reading other people posts who've had Dinan Springs and then upgraded further have said the stock shocks are more responsible for the overdamped stock suspension, less so than the springs.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 07:11 AM   #61
Stefanari
Rep
Drives: M440i

I saw some time ago a post about an aftermarket suspension, and he said about the ride quality, quote: "it was like night and day". Finally after weeks of searching info, i ve installed the AC S & Bilstein B8 on my 435i xdrive. I can say, it's a change like night & day. Stock rear dampers were broken, though no leaks found, the front a little bit better. The ride is smoother, but when driven sporty it feels firm and very to little "boat" sensation when changing lanes. I can say that RFT tires don t even bother me anymore that much. I m very satisfied with the combo. I had Bilstein B8 with standard sport springs on my Audi A4 before, but the ride was a little bit more harsh, and also Bilstein B8 & Eibach (B12 combo) on another A4 with difference in ride height front/ rear 🤢

Edit: better ride, but the roll... not as much but still there. The first sensation is wierd, the roll seems to be higher in the first part of a turn, maybe in the start of the compresion. Also, sharp change of lane at more than 100km\h seems to be scary. I tend to belive that the OE springs were stiffer. Overall, it s ok, but with the roll still there, not happy. I am not going to change the rear sb, i don t want to turn it into a go cart.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 06:14 PM   #62
JAWS3series
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh/AWE View Post
KW Street Comfort Coilovers installed here last week. Rides great, like factory plus!

Rehashing a super old post, sorry. And I know there are other posts about issues from being lowered, but just wanted to confirm the car in this picture is xDrive? Planning on taking my car to that height or even a bit lower and was curious what issues you may have run into over time front end wise (axels and things alike)? Any insight is helpful! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 09:41 AM   #63
JSpec21
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i X-Drive

Is there a reason I dont see not one 18 330i Xdrive on here with suspension modifications??? damn did i buy the wrong trim????
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 11:52 AM   #64
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpec21 View Post
Is there a reason I dont see not one 18 330i Xdrive on here with suspension modifications??? damn did i buy the wrong trim????
If your car is an F30 XDrive, there are a wide variety of aftermarket suspension choices. What are you trying to accomplish? Track car? Daily commuter car? Street performance? Local roads are smooth or really rough? Stiffness? Comfort? Knowing your goals helps to zero in on solutions.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 02:02 PM   #65
ik999
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f32 435xi

Does anyone know if the Bilstein B8 will work on a car with EDC and VSS? From what i understand, there is a sensor that mounts to a bracket on the shock body on cars with VSS, which shocks made for cars without EDC will not have. Im looking to replace my shocks, and considering deleting the edc, but not sure what options are on the table.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 08:33 PM   #66
JSpec21
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
If your car is an F30 XDrive, there are a wide variety of aftermarket suspension choices. What are you trying to accomplish? Track car? Daily commuter car? Street performance? Local roads are smooth or really rough? Stiffness? Comfort? Knowing your goals helps to zero in on solutions.

Daily and street performance. I wanna be able to have some fun on weekends, but have the reliability to get to and from work with out issues. I’m also in Northern NJ so roads are hit or miss.
Appreciate 0