F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Oily line/valve, anybody know what this is?
GetBMWParts

01-13-2019, 01:23 PM   #1
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

Oily line/valve, anybody know what this is?

I have this piece in the front of the engine bay, closer to the coolant overflow.

It's covered in oil, was curious as to what it was because my warranty is ending in a few months and trying to see if it needs replacement or not.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 07:26 AM   #2
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 328d

It looks like the PCV line. Might have to pop the upper cover off to confirm, but the PCV runs form a port on the intake down to the charge pipe. It vents oily air from the crankcase under boost.

Take a look at the "328d CCV Oil Catch Can" thread. That thread has pictures of that pipe removed for a catch can. Just be careful with it if you remove / inspect it, it cracks really easily. (Dont ask how I know that!)
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 11:34 AM   #3
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldave View Post
I have this piece in the front of the engine bay, closer to the coolant overflow.

It's covered in oil, was curious as to what it was because my warranty is ending in a few months and trying to see if it needs replacement or not.

Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog_x View Post
It looks like the PCV line.
kdog_x is correct. That's the CCV tube from the crank case port to the intake just before the turbo. Mine was really dirty like that as well. The reason is the factory does a REALLY crappy job of sealing the tube to the rubber coupler, and coupler to the heating element. They use metal bands that I was able to slide off without cutting. I suggest using worm drive clamps to make a better seal.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 06:51 PM   #4
328iX
David
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
kdog_x is correct. That's the CCV tube from the crank case port to the intake just before the turbo. Mine was really dirty like that as well. The reason is the factory does a REALLY crappy job of sealing the tube to the rubber coupler, and coupler to the heating element. They use metal bands that I was able to slide off without cutting. I suggest using worm drive clamps to make a better seal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog_x View Post
It looks like the PCV line. Might have to pop the upper cover off to confirm, but the PCV runs form a port on the intake down to the charge pipe. It vents oily air from the crankcase under boost.

Take a look at the "328d CCV Oil Catch Can" thread. That thread has pictures of that pipe removed for a catch can. Just be careful with it if you remove / inspect it, it cracks really easily. (Dont ask how I know that!)

Thanks guys, i'm not sure whether to clean it and live with it, or just have the dealership do it & possibly make a tighter connection with the metal bands lol.. Either way if it's just the PCV outlet I can live with it
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 09:01 PM   #5
rbreding
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328d, 335d, x5d

It also has a pathway to your intake post air filter.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 11:05 PM   #6
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldave View Post
Thanks guys, i'm not sure whether to clean it and live with it, or just have the dealership do it & possibly make a tighter connection with the metal bands lol.. Either way if it's just the PCV outlet I can live with it
The rest of us that have commented in this thread have put a catch cans in place of it to reduce the fouling going into the intake. You'll need to remove that though when you get your car smogged. I can swap mine in and out in 10-15 minutes though.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 11:50 PM   #7
328iX
David
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
The rest of us that have commented in this thread have put a catch cans in place of it to reduce the fouling going into the intake. You'll need to remove that though when you get your car smogged. I can swap mine in and out in 10-15 minutes though.
I don’t care enough to install a catch can honestly. It’s a diesel and a little oil vapor can’t hurt. Not as necessary as a gas engine. Plus I’m not the original owner and no idea of the carbon build up. If I ever get the carbon removed I’ll install one
Appreciate 0