F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Steering wheel damage
GetBMWParts

07-03-2019, 11:16 AM   #1
Dyl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 4GC

Steering wheel damage

I think in thinking my wheel needed cleaning I've gone in really hard with my Dr Leather wipes and damaged it further.

Does anyone know if this can be recovered? The attached pictures make it look quite a bit worse than it actually is, but it's still not great.

So word of warning that the Dr Leather wipes can be quite damaging! The first time I used them it brought it up great too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 11:52 AM   #2
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Wow that's not good. Shocking it can do that much harm?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 12:04 PM   #3
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Looks like you've taken the coating off, don't think there's a way back other than a re-trim at the likes of royal steering wheels.

I did something similar years ago on my R32 using a magic sponge to try and get the matte look back...only way to minimise the damage was to use a moisturising product that, of course, made it shiny. Completely counterproductive so I feel your pain!
Soul_Glo13342.00
      07-03-2019, 12:34 PM   #4
psp888
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30

shoe polish?
Wills28647.00
      07-03-2019, 12:55 PM   #5
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Enthusiastically

Eeeeek, sorry to see that.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50ml-Colo....c100005.m1851
      07-03-2019, 03:35 PM   #6
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
I'm assuming the wheel was very shiney and sticky before you went at it with the wipes?

I've used Dr Leather wipes for years, and there's no way they would have damaged the coating by themselves. You should speak to Darryl who runs Dr Leather if you honestly think they are the sole reason, because he's very helpful.

It won't be the wipes that did it, the reason is some of the stock steering wheels had issues with the coating coming off. it's a manufacturing defect, I had mine replaced under warranty at about 8k miles as it was starting to show white spots and felt constantly tacky.

If you're under warranty you may be able to get BMW to replace it - although does look like you've scrubbed at the wheel with a magic sponge or something, if I"m being completely honest.

Alternatively, and better long term solution (as even my warranty replaced wheel started going again after another 10k miles) is to have Jack at Royal Steeringwheels retrim it.

I sold my 435, but had my 640 wheel done by him and it's lovely. it's been on the car for 7 months now and still looks immaculate - and I've only needed to lightly clean it twice in that time (with Dr Leather wipes....btw).
      07-04-2019, 04:20 AM   #7
Dyl
Captain
Rep

Thanks for your replies.

Well, apart from this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
"there's no way they would have damaged the coating by themselves"
"although does look like you've scrubbed at the wheel with a magic sponge or something, if I"m being completely honest.'
No, I absolutely did not do that. It wasn't sticky or shiny, just looked a tiny bit grubby. But the more i tried to clean I realised it was not actually doing anything, but in fact making it slightly worse. I have used nothing on it at all other that the Dr Leather wipes.

Looks like it might be a re trim job! :
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 04:25 AM   #8
Dyl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequin View Post
Cheers, might be worth a try. Nothing to lose I suppose!

Last edited by Dyl; 07-04-2019 at 04:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
Pequin230.00
      07-04-2019, 06:39 AM   #9
saltyamigo
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Yes

Mine went the same way when cleaning it, I never even thought about warranty as my car is past the warranty date and I assumed BMW would say it was my fault for using the wrong cleaner even though it was proper leather cleaner I used.

I used Saphir Juvacuir to renovate it, worked fine in my case although it made the wheel a bit shinier than the matt finish of a new wheel. A bottle is less than £10 if you want to try it before getting it retrimmed.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 06:46 AM   #10
saltyamigo
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Yes

Amazon link for it; https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DL2NVQ4
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 07:40 AM   #11
Dyl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyamigo View Post
Thank you! Worth a punt.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 07:40 AM   #12
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

You want a full restoration kit like this:

Furniture Clinic Leather Steering Wheel Repair Kit and Leather Dye (Black) | Repair and Restore Any Leather Steering Wheel https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H95DM..._7nFhDb38MS8C0
Appreciate 1
Dyl432.50
      07-04-2019, 07:56 AM   #13
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyl View Post
Thanks for your replies.

Well, apart from this one...

No, I absolutely did not do that. It wasn't sticky or shiny, just looked a tiny bit grubby. But the more i tried to clean I realised it was not actually doing anything, but in fact making it slightly worse. I have used nothing on it at all other that the Dr Leather wipes.

Looks like it might be a re trim job! :
Sorry if that came across wrong, what I meant was you might have a hard time with BMW because it looks like it's been scrubbed to death (and I recall seeing many a photo where people had used the "magic sponge" because it got back to a nice matt finish....because it was taking material off the wheel!), rather than the coating coming off.

Very weird though if yours wasn't sticky or shiny before you cleaned it - what did it look like? Usually people clean the wheels when the leather starts going shiny or gets a bit sticky to touch. Was it a bit lighter in than one patch and you thought it was muck, hence cleaned it?

How long have you had the car, out of interest? What did it look like when you got it? I notice it's had the trim bits tinkered with already. If the car was pre-owned, chances are the previous owner used to have some kind of shit on their hands which has damaged the coating in that area - or maybe they'd noticed cack build up because of this, and then already fucked the coating before you got the car using a harsh cleaner on it.

Honestly, still reckon the better solution is a retrim, as the stock leather is pony on these sports wheels on my experience. It's about £150 exchange, and well worth it. The reason I had mine done (car had only done 30k at the time) was because a part of the wheel looked slightly lighter. I thought the coating had come off, like on the previous 435, but having had a few retrimmers look at it, they said the coating looked to be fine.....hence, given my previous issues, I simply gave up with the stock finish. Much prefer a slightly thicker wheel and M coloured stitching anyway!

My wife's F07 isn't fantastic either and that's only got 50k on the clock. Wheel cleans up ok but still looks a bit tired in one place (similar to how yours looks like it's mostly been held in the same place).

FWIW, Dr Leathers wipes say you just wipe with a dry cloth, but personally I've found it seems to leave a better finish if you wipe with a dry cloth first, then with a clean, damp (just water) cloth after.

Last edited by Russbmw; 07-04-2019 at 08:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 09:43 AM   #14
Dyl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Was it a bit lighter in than one patch and you thought it was muck, hence cleaned it?
No worries.

Yes exactly, it was just like it is now but not as bad and I assumed it was just a bit dirty. Car is coming up 5 years old. I've had it 4 and it was perfect up until recently.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 09:44 AM   #15
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

Out of interest is the leather different on lci 4 series?

Seen loads of posts of this.... and even the courtesy car i had suffered from a shiny wheel...

But my car has covered 26k miles now and my wheel is still matt - and i have only wiped it with a wet microfibre whenever cleaning my interior.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 10:26 AM   #16
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquazi View Post
Out of interest is the leather different on lci 4 series?

Seen loads of posts of this.... and even the courtesy car i had suffered from a shiny wheel...

But my car has covered 26k miles now and my wheel is still matt - and i have only wiped it with a wet microfibre whenever cleaning my interior.
My 435 was a 15 plate, and it was fucking shite.

They will always go shiny, but they should clean up OK if it's cleaned on a regular basis.

It's when they seem to fade, or go sticky to touch (even after cleaning) that's an indication of a problem. My 435 wheel had white spots appearing. Tiny, but noticeable nevertheless, turned out the coating had failed/come off/just been generally bollocks.

The response I got from the warranty claims guy at BMW said it all really "ah yes, we've had a few done that". Which I heard as "yes, they all do that sir"
Appreciate 1
Pequin230.00
      07-04-2019, 12:15 PM   #17
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

Quote:

My 435 was a 15 plate, and it was fucking shite.
But thats a pre lci.... is the lci any different?

Mine is hardly wiped down - and only done when the interior needs a clean.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 02:24 PM   #18
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Try Jack - Royal Steerings.
He has exchange programme. You pay. He sends one out. You send in the old one and receive a refund for the return of the old one. Or go to him and have it fitted.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 02:55 PM   #19
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea_Tractor View Post
He has exchange programme. You pay. He sends one out. You send in the old one and receive a refund for the return of the old one. Or go to him and have it fitted.
Would that work if the steering wheel is heated? Obviously you wouldn't want to receive a standard wheel!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 02:57 PM   #20
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea_Tractor View Post
Would that work if the steering wheel is heated? Obviously you wouldn't want to receive a standard wheel!
Yeh. Contact him. He has a decent stock.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 05:36 AM   #21
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
I had a 2012 F30 and then this LCI F30 and I haven't noticed any difference at all between the steering wheel leather and wear. Did 30K in the previous car and 36K in this one and can't say one is better than the other.

On both my wheel and the seats I use Restorer's Leather Cleaner which was recommended by a detailer, and I use it quite sparingly/gently - same for the seats and the results I've had are great (I'd all but given up on getting the oyster leather clean before using this stuff). The guys at Restorers are very helpful too and seem happy to discuss any issues/requirements. As always though there will be a lot of products out there that people have had success with, but I'd probably go with a refurb as yours looks pretty far gone.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 06:40 AM   #22
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Dyl, can you pm me your contact details. Darryl is keen to have a chat with you about your problems.
Appreciate 0