F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 3G Discontinuation Notice
Studio RSR

06-03-2021, 07:32 PM   #177
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Poochie

Wouldn't my 2016 320i (build date 2016-02-09) go against your theory posted above?

Apparently Im not eligible for the upgrade yet I should have NBT Evo ID4 ?
Yes, this requires a minimum of NBT Evo ID4, to qualify or be capable for this upgrade.

This is what my ConnectDrive options looks like below. Obviously different from yours, so I assume their are some hardware variations.

I have a 2016 M2, built date 03/2016 NBT Evo ID4 with already a 4G LTE telemetry, early built and I although I assumed I was in the clear, I was just informed, indirectly, that I qualify for the telematics upgrade.

The cut off for vehicle build date is unofficially 07/2016 and beyond builds, based on my own hypothesis, based on replacement equipment part number in service date.

Attached Images

Last edited by Poochie; 06-03-2021 at 10:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 07:43 PM   #178
Ameyer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
That's odd, I know the 4G LTE telematics unit for the F30 is in the trunk, under a cover..

Why did they state that they had to remove the headliner to replace it.. #Weird..

Regardless, glad it worked out for you..

Honestly have no clue what they did.. was happy with the 430i loaner they gave me though! Haha
Attached Images

Last edited by Ameyer; 06-03-2021 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: Add photo
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      06-04-2021, 10:57 AM   #179
RalF-BMW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M sport

There are two kinds of 4g ATM modules, one that is installed in the trunk and its a black box and a roof mounted module that is directly attached to the antenna inside the shark fin.

Convertibles, M3, and coupes have the trunk module, while sedans, grand coupes, suvs etc. have the roof module.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMFD21 View Post
Maybe try another dealer? BMW has made this process a mess. I asked one dealer and they told me they didn't have the parts yet and to try to get an appointment later, BMW CS told me it wasn't eligible, another CS rep told me it was and to call the dealer. I called my local BMW dealer and they told me it was eligible and gave me an appointment so we'll see what happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
That's odd, I know the 4G LTE telematics unit for the F30 is in the trunk, under a cover..

Why did they state that they had to remove the headliner to replace it.. #Weird..

Regardless, glad it worked out for you..

Appreciate 2
visionaut1307.00
Poochie9104.50
      06-05-2021, 04:54 PM   #180
nitro_boss
the senate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxpeter View Post
It did not. I had bootmod3 flashed when the dealer did the software update. Once I got it back everything was clearly reset. I had xHP on there too and it was gone as well.
Came home and reflashed bootmod3 and xHP with no issue.
mine was locked, tried flashing bootmod3, now bricked bm3 won't even read the drivetrain/transmission malfunction codes, let alone clear them. car is bricked now.

can someone explain why bootmod3 could unlock my DME before but now it can't after the update? why do i need a bench unlock now when i didn't before?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 06:50 PM   #181
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro_boss View Post
mine was locked, tried flashing bootmod3, now bricked bm3 won't even read the drivetrain/transmission malfunction codes, let alone clear them. car is bricked now.

can someone explain why bootmod3 could unlock my DME before but now it can't after the update? why do i need a bench unlock now when i didn't before?
That's a new thing from BMW. I had a similar experience with my MHD flash, the first time it unlocked and flashed fine, then I got a new rack and after the new i-step MHD would stall and I had to get the bench unlock. BMW is getting user unfriendly, some Gxx folks can't even get a bench unlock...yet
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 10:32 AM   #182
BlitzerRadic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Posting this here since I'm not getting any replies on the F80 board.

Took my car to get the update on Sat, dealer told me that they couldnt update because my LCI headlights are not stock and the system does not recognize them. Said I have to go back to stock in order to update.

That's fine with me, but my concern is that if I upgrade then I wont be able to use my LCI headlights... which if that's true I would just sell the car. I always thought when you upgrade to a newer istep, it doesnt matter what the current condition is because it all gets wiped anyways and I would just have to recode my lights.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 10:17 AM   #183
RalF-BMW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzerRadic View Post

Took my car to get the update on Sat, dealer told me that they couldnt update because my LCI headlights are not stock and the system does not recognize them. Said I have to go back to stock in order to update.

That's fine with me, but my concern is that if I upgrade then I wont be able to use my LCI headlights... which if that's true I would just sell the car. I always thought when you upgrade to a newer istep, it doesnt matter what the current condition is because it all gets wiped anyways and I would just have to recode my lights.

Its my understanding that after the ISTEP update you should be able to reinstall and recode your LCI ligths.

I have a 6WB and for now I put back the stock dashboard to be able to have the update. I dont expect any problems reinstalling my new dashboard later.
Appreciate 1
gnolivos319.00
      06-08-2021, 12:23 PM   #184
gnolivos
Captain
Rep
Drives: Various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalF-BMW View Post
Quote:

Its my understanding that after the ISTEP update you should be able to reinstall and recode your LCI ligths.

I have a 6WB and for now I put back the stock dashboard to be able to have the update. I dont expect any problems reinstalling my new dashboard later.
Did the original cluster work properly when you put it back in? No recoding needed?
      06-08-2021, 07:01 PM   #185
BlitzerRadic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalF-BMW View Post

Do we even need this update? Like what will happen if I dont update? It's a huge pain in the ass to have to go back to stock and then turn around and put the lights back on.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 07:17 PM   #186
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Do we even need this update? Like what will happen if I dont update? It's a huge pain in the ass to have to go back to stock and then turn around and put the lights back on.
If you want to retain connected drive services like RTTI then you need it, if you don't update then sometime in 2022 you won't be able to get that info. Depends on how badly you want connected drive services.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 05:50 PM   #187
kcounsel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 428i

I got the email today. An update is NOT available for my 2014 428i.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 05:55 PM   #188
kcounsel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 428i

Anyone heard of any third-party solutions to the 3G issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 01:05 PM   #189
bkdore
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcounsel View Post
Anyone heard of any third-party solutions to the 3G issue?
I was wondering this myself. I'd assume some high end aftermarket alarms would do cellular unlock/remote start and could call for help if the airbags deployed which is all I'd really want.

I've also seen where the entire infotainment stack from a newer BMW can be retrofitted. I'm wondering if I did that and it was coded for my VIN and car cell number would I still be able to use the BMW services or if they would still refuse to offer service or renew services because of my VIN and original configuration.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 06:39 PM   #190
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsXman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecph View Post
Wondering if anyone else have gotten this email.
So this means going back to dealership for tech upgrade in order to use in car connected drive.
Seems like it'll also affect the nav traffic info. Wonder how much that upgrade gonna cost...
I got this email and it said it would effect my 2016 4 series. Here's the thing though, every time I sign on to use internet/check the weather it always says 4G. So I don't see where this is going to effect me.
You're like me. My 2016 is at the dealer right now for the upgrade. They had to order the part, so I'm in a loaner. 2016 models seem to have 4G, but have equipment limitations that need to be upgraded.
So I just called the BMW dealer where I bought my car. Service department said 3G being phased out will effect my car. He said my car is eligible for the software/hardware upgrade free of charge. Have to drop it off Saturday and get a loaner.
      06-15-2021, 09:19 PM   #191
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Took my car (2016 340i, July 2015 build) in on Thursday (06/10/21) for the 4G upgrade. SA informed me that the car only needed a software update and would be ready next day. Received a call on Friday to pick up the car, but turned out they did an oil change and no 4G upgrade/update

After I told them that I didn't drop the car off for an oil change, SA realized her mistake and asked me to leave with the loaner. Received a call back on Monday (06/14/21) that the software update failed and they would have to replace the ComBox and would have it ready today, which they did.

Picked up the car and all my coding, every single code...completely wiped out. Still figuring out if I can do the ESys coding again.

Before I took my car in, I had Teleservices, Ecall Assist and Remote Services active until 08/31/2025. Now, I still have Teleservices and Ecall Assist, but not Remote Services anymore. It doesn't work on my phone (My BMW app) nor does it show up as active on my Connected Drive Account.

SA informed me that the BMW Genius Team should be able to fix it for me, but after 2 hours on the phone trying to get it fixed and after being bounced around to multiple agents and departments, they went from I never had Remote Services active on my car to finally informing me that the upgraded ComBox would not permit (what is left of) the 10 years of Remote Services that was offered with the original ComBox. They offered to compensate me with a month of Remote Services for my troubles...seriously?

Anyway, now after all the troubles, I feel like I made a big mistake taking the car in to get this update. At the very least I would have kept my coding and had my Remote Services for anotehr 8 months. Now, with the update, I lost the free service that I had and would have to pay them to get it back. Not to mention, all of my coding has been wiped out too.

On the bright side, I got a free oil change!
Appreciate 1
gnolivos319.00
      06-15-2021, 09:39 PM   #192
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

That's why my BMW hasn't seen the inside of a dealership in four years, and never will.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 09:54 PM   #193
Icecph
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambalu80 View Post
Took my car (2016 340i, July 2015 build) in on Thursday (06/10/21) for the 4G upgrade. SA informed me that the car only needed a software update and would be ready next day. Received a call on Friday to pick up the car, but turned out they did an oil change and no 4G upgrade/update

After I told them that I didn't drop the car off for an oil change, SA realized her mistake and asked me to leave with the loaner. Received a call back on Monday (06/14/21) that the software update failed and they would have to replace the ComBox and would have it ready today, which they did.

Picked up the car and all my coding, every single code...completely wiped out. Still figuring out if I can do the ESys coding again.

Before I took my car in, I had Teleservices, Ecall Assist and Remote Services active until 08/31/2025. Now, I still have Teleservices and Ecall Assist, but not Remote Services anymore. It doesn't work on my phone (My BMW app) nor does it show up as active on my Connected Drive Account.

SA informed me that the BMW Genius Team should be able to fix it for me, but after 2 hours on the phone trying to get it fixed and after being bounced around to multiple agents and departments, they went from I never had Remote Services active on my car to finally informing me that the upgraded ComBox would not permit (what is left of) the 10 years of Remote Services that was offered with the original ComBox. They offered to compensate me with a month of Remote Services for my troubles...seriously?

Anyway, now after all the troubles, I feel like I made a big mistake taking the car in to get this update. At the very least I would have kept my coding and had my Remote Services for anotehr 8 months. Now, with the update, I lost the free service that I had and would have to pay them to get it back. Not to mention, all of my coding has been wiped out too.

On the bright side, I got a free oil change!
Oh damn...sounds like there's no benefit whatsoever
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 07:18 AM   #194
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecph View Post
Oh damn...sounds like there's no benefit whatsoever
Yes, very true in my case. I lost a lot and gained absolutely nothing.

In retrospect, I could have simply kept the car with 3G as-is and done my oil change by myself 4 months later. I would have still had my coding and Remote Services would have stayed active for another 7 months.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 07:20 AM   #195
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
That's why my BMW hasn't seen the inside of a dealership in four years, and never will.
I tried to keep it that way. Until I took it in for the 4G update last week, my car hadn't seen the dealership since the last free oil change in 2019. Oh well!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 08:12 AM   #196
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe

Garage List
So what I'm getting from some of the posts is I should not drop my car off for the update? I should just leave it the way it is and when connected drive no longer works in February 2022 then that's that? Had a good run?
      06-16-2021, 09:35 AM   #197
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

That's my plan. Whatever I need to do that requires 4G I can do with my phone. Knock on wood, but six years in I haven't used any of the connect features yet. On that note I let my paid subscription items lapse.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 10:15 AM   #198
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

If you’re not aftermarket OBD tuned now (or don’t plan to in future) and you haven’t modified your car electronically (hardware), and you don’t mind redoing any light parameter-coding you might have done (or possibly losing a currently code-able feature), and you have Connected services now and want to retain it as long as possible - take the upgrade offer.

I’m taking my car in tomorrow for a dry-run of the 4G telematics upgrade. I’m friends with the shop foreman - he knows I’m MHD tuned, and we’re gonna hook ISTA up as if doing the upgrade (for my car, it’ll be both a HW change on the headliner/rooftop antenna plus software) - and see what ISTA calculates as the programming plan. I was advised to reflash back to stock tune prior, since I was told if ISTA sees the aftermarket software on the DME it’s more likely it will try to include it in the plan. I can choose after the dry-run to perform the upgrade for real or not…

As my car is F-series N55 (and not an X5) I was previously informed that BMW wasn’t locking these older DMEs with recent updates. (Like B58s are being locked by recent I-steps). This dry-run is to see if that’s still true or if the latest BMW update is now locking these too. I know I’ll always have bench-unlock capability, due to my DME HW, as fallback. So we’ll see…
gnolivos319.00