F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > We Reveal the 2013 BMW 3 Series GT (Gran Turismo)!
proTUNING Freaks

12-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #177
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: dark-blue coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
It makes the GT 5 series look like a work of art.

I don't think there is a better example of a car designed by committee. Did some little guy in the back of the conference room stand up and say "You know, that cars needs a little v-notch vent behind the front wheel." Then another guy stood up and said "Sure, we'll give you your v notch, but we're taking away the Hofmeister kink!"
+1

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #178
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Thoughts:
-Looks longer than the 5GT for some reason. I guess its the roofline.

-Looks remarkably like the Honda Crosstour

-I like the standard bumper

-The M-Sport Bumper reminds me a lot of the E60 M5, which is good.

-Overall it still looks like a cancerous tumor, although not as much as the 5GT.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #179
GrandMaster_B
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 335i

Is that a small ///M badge above the quarter panel side vent? Like where the "Modern" badge would be on the other car.

On paper, this is car I'd like considering my preference for sedans and a growing need for space (kids). I loved the form of my old Mazda 6 hatch.

It's better than the 5GT but I'd take a 335 touring any day over this.
      12-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #180
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Since the wagons are not available in NA with the N55 and manual transmission, I'm hoping these might.
      12-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #181
RWD4Life
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 (MG 6MT)

Quite fugly. If anybody was worried that BMW wasn't a full appliance maker not they are reassured...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #182
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

It looks nicer than the 5GT or the Crosstour, but that's not much of a compliment. It's not a very pretty car at all, is it?
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #183
Wraith.
Captain
Rep
Drives: ED '11 Z4 35is

Hideous
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #184
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
Well said sir. You yank haters sound like petulant kids you know. You should grow up and get over yourselves and stop trying to dictate to the world that YOUR opinion of a car is the only one that counts. Thank God BMW don't listen to you muppets and keeps coming up with new models to satisfy even more customers.

If you don't like it: fine. But don't come out with stupid comments like BMW are diluting their brand and this isn't a BMW and how dare they. You just sound a bit ... well, a bit retarded really. Like you can't think past your own nose.
It's goes beyond our style/tastes. We know vs. the Europe and Asia, NA is [b]not[/n] successful market for the 5-Series GT (unless someone can give me numbers that even try to make it a good seller here). Our problem, on top, of the ugly looks is that BMW keeps sending models here that we don't want but cars that would sell well we don't even see - any M3 limited editions (the real ones like the GTS, CSL), how about some more diesel options? How about BMW send those to help their bottom line instead of the 3erGT and 5erGT.

If they're successful in other parts of the world, cool, give it to them but give us options that we would consider.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #185
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiegu
A Merc camera car
BMW doesn't go out and shoot their own commercials. Their business is making cars, and they hire other companies whose business it is to shoot commercials to do that for them. So what if that company uses an ML as a camera car?
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #186
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
Our problem, on top, of the ugly looks is that BMW keeps sending models here that we don't want
Really? Man, BMW must be run by squirrels or something. Or maybe starfish Can you honestly quantify that? They keep sending models to north America which don't sell? Really? Really really?
      12-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #187
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

I'm a fan, but I liked the 5GT too.
      12-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #188
sean10mm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH

The "backward 7"/"boomerang" vent things on this and the 4 series are the worst styling feature by far. They look completely tacked on. I'm REALLY glad they aren't on the F30.

Take those off and reshape the rear end a little and I think it looks fine for what it is actually.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #189
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean10mm View Post
The "backward 7"/"boomerang" vent things on this and the 4 series are the worst styling feature by far. They look completely tacked on.
Agreed. They look like what street urchins do to their Citroen Saxos around here.
      12-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #190
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Much negativity but again no one listens.
The auto industry is a global playing field. This is no longer about you.

BMW used to be a predictable car company we only made exciting cars for the enthusiast driver yet neglected the needs and demands from other customers for exciting cars to allow them to fullfill their daily requirements.

The X5 was the first step out of predictability and then we took other giant steps with the 1er , X3 , X1 , X6 and 5er GT because we found there were customers out there who we did not cater too and we can provide those needs with the BMW philosophy and added style.

These cars might be dismissed by brand enthusiasts and traditionalists but they do exactly what BMW needs them to do and that is provide business growth. BMW's global perspective has increased it has entered new markets and heavily penetrated the worlds largest market for luxury vehicles - China where it over took the US as BMW no 1 export market.
BMW is also experiencing a strong sales reaction within growing markets of India and Brazil markets that are emerging for auto makers.

BMW is well aware of US reaction to the 5er GT just as it is aware that even in the US the car does have a customer base enough to make the 5er GT sell its first year on the market - three years worth of combined units of the BMW 5er Touring (E61).

The car has done well within Europe and has seen an increase of units thanks to the introduction of a super-efficient 520d model. GT customers do not cater to adopt the opinions of other people. The 3er GT will bring prospective ownership to a new segment and we have to consider business customers aswell as new to the brand customers which our research had shown where the larger majority base that bought the 5er GT.

One market where the GT has excelled is China , on the streets of Europe a GT and a Mercedes-Benz R-Klasse are a rarity, not in China they are not.
GT customers in China choose it over the higher status of the Chinese only market 5er Li. The 3er Li which went on sale this past few months is also dominating the market and the 3er GT will also be available for Chinese customers.

The 5er Gran Turismo did not exactly win universal praise . But I have one and there is a dedicated forum here for owners , including from the US who can actually voice their opinion on why they chose the 5er GT. Or actually they cant because they become drowned out.

The GT series is a car that extends the customers option of a sedan,Touring, SAV and a MPV in one package but the car excells more in its excellent top-flight cabin and refinement heavily overlooked because of reaction to the exterior.

The 3er GT is an extension off of the architecture that sits under the new range of BMW's primarily F20 and F30 , the car is entirely cost effective to manufacturer from an economic perspective. BMW's CEO has publically claimed that the 3er GT is a car that will provide a substantial return because its development is already bought and paid for.

The 3er GT features more than the 5er GT its less business-like and retains the priotities of a 3er meaning that there will be areas for the keen to driver to exploit as per the segment. For what the 5er and 3er Gran Turismo represent is that for the customer they can have that much needed functionality and flexibility but with more style and individuality.

As long as there are new niches to exploit and new markets to explore BMW will continue to expand on the opportunity to appeal to a global audience.
      12-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #191
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: //M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxander View Post
Not really feelin this one. Anyone else?
Right here, dude. Not at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #192
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Much negativity but again no one listens.
The auto industry is a global playing field. This is no longer about you.

BMW used to be a predictable car company we only made exciting cars for the enthusiast driver yet neglected the needs and demands from other customers for exciting cars to allow them to fullfill their daily requirements.

The X5 was the first step out of predictability and then we took other giant steps with the 1er , X3 , X1 , X6 and 5er GT because we found there were customers out there who we did not cater too and we can provide those needs with the BMW philosophy and added style.

These cars might be dismissed by brand enthusiasts and traditionalists but they do exactly what BMW needs them to do and that is provide business growth. BMW's global perspective has increased it has entered new markets and heavily penetrated the worlds largest market for luxury vehicles - China where it over took the US as BMW no 1 export market.
BMW is also experiencing a strong sales reaction within growing markets of India and Brazil markets that are emerging for auto makers.

BMW is well aware of US reaction to the 5er GT just as it is aware that even in the US the car does have a customer base enough to make the 5er GT sell its first year on the market - three years worth of combined units of the BMW 5er Touring (E61).

The car has done well within Europe and has seen an increase of units thanks to the introduction of a super-efficient 520d model. GT customers do not cater to adopt the opinions of other people. The 3er GT will bring prospective ownership to a new segment and we have to consider business customers aswell as new to the brand customers which our research had shown where the larger majority base that bought the 5er GT.

One market where the GT has excelled is China , on the streets of Europe a GT and a Mercedes-Benz R-Klasse are a rarity, not in China they are not.
GT customers in China choose it over the higher status of the Chinese only market 5er Li. The 3er Li which went on sale this past few months is also dominating the market and the 3er GT will also be available for Chinese customers.

The 5er Gran Turismo did not exactly win universal praise . But I have one and there is a dedicated forum here for owners , including from the US who can actually voice their opinion on why they chose the 5er GT. Or actually they cant because they become drowned out.

The GT series is a car that extends the customers option of a sedan,Touring, SAV and a MPV in one package but the car excells more in its excellent top-flight cabin and refinement heavily overlooked because of reaction to the exterior.

The 3er GT is an extension off of the architecture that sits under the new range of BMW's primarily F20 and F30 , the car is entirely cost effective to manufacturer from an economic perspective. BMW's CEO has publically claimed that the 3er GT is a car that will provide a substantial return because its development is already bought and paid for.

The 3er GT features more than the 5er GT its less business-like and retains the priotities of a 3er meaning that there will be areas for the keen to driver to exploit as per the segment. For what the 5er and 3er Gran Turismo represent is that for the customer they can have that much needed functionality and flexibility but with more style and individuality.

As long as there are new niches to exploit and new markets to explore BMW will continue to expand on the opportunity to appeal to a global audience.
      12-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #193
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Hideous or not... I fail to see where this car fits... a fatter 5 series? Well get an X5 then? A fatter 3 series, get an X3? Where is this car supposed to appeal?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #194
howiegu
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22%E2%80%99 M440

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
BMW doesn't go out and shoot their own commercials. Their business is making cars, and they hire other companies whose business it is to shoot commercials to do that for them. So what if that company uses an ML as a camera car?
Guess you were right. When you're in a business pimpin a girl this butt ugly, no pun intended, you really don't care who takes her "beauty shots"
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #195
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
Hideous or not... I fail to see where this car fits... a fatter 5 series? Well get an X5 then? A fatter 3 series, get an X3? Where is this car supposed to appeal?
It's a hatchback. You're from Manchester so you've heard of them, yeah? That's probably because there are 10 times as many hatchbacks as saloons in the UK. Well that's what this is. It's a 3 series hatchback. Now you see where it fits in?
      12-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #196
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Looks better than I thought it would, but still don't get why they're making it.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #197
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

The more I look at it, the more it kinda (!) grows on me.

Actually, if anything, it makes me realize just how perfectly proportioned the F30 is in comparison to the F31 and F34.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #198
burrito007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

wow... amazing how they can take an awesome looking car and turn it into such utter shit.
Appreciate 0