F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Brakes and Tire advice for 1st time tracking F30
ARMA SPEED

06-29-2019, 01:05 AM   #1
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Brakes and Tire advice for 1st time tracking F30

Want to take my '14 335i M sport for first time and have concerns that my tire and brake setup will not inspire confidence (or worse) on the track.

What items below are a must do and which ones are a good idea, but not necessary to be safe and have fun.

The VW dealer that sold me the car put a value brand called Brake Best rotor and pad on the fronts. I put on BF Goodrich GF Comp A\S performance tires (mistake not getting summer tires). My rotors are the 340mm (I thought M sports had big brakes by default, but found out I was wrong)

My possible list before tracking
1) Brake fluid change with DOT 4 fluid (not sure which kind)
2) SS brake lines
3) Stop Tech slotted and\or drilled rotors
4) Pagid pads (not sure which ones)
5) Changing my A\S tires to Summer.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 03:22 AM   #2
eschantra
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 Mustang, 08 MCS, 18 328dX

First of all, if it's your first track event you likely won't be driving the car to within an inch of its limit, so with that in mind I'll address your concerns in numerical order:

1. Any fresh DOT4 will probably be fine for your first event. My suggestion would be Motul RBF600, which should be fine for a street car in just about any situation.

2. If you do stainless lines, make sure they're DOT approved. Since you're flushing your brake fluid anyway that would be the time to do them, though they're not 100% necessary if your rubber hoses are in good shape. Just avoid getting any air in the ABS aka don't let the master cylinder run dry while changing them!

3. NO DRILLED ROTORS. Holes in rotors crack. You can run slotted but they don't really do anything. Personally, I would just get the cheapest rotors I could find since they're gonna wear out anyway.

4. For a pad that can handle street and some track use, try EBC Yellowstuff. Sam Strano, multi-time solo national champion and owner of stranoparts.com, suggested them to me for a dual purpose car and they work really well. Not too familiar with Pagid's lineup, but skip the full race pads. You probably won't get your brakes hot enough to need them on track, and they'll suck on the drive there and back.

5. If you don't think you'll be super aggressive, the A/S tire should be okay, but changing to a max performance summer certainly won't hurt. Max performance summer tires will also handle heat better. Good dual purpose tires include the Michelin PS4S or the Continential Extreme Contact Sport, and a lot of One Lap competitors choose the Michelin because they handle everything well. The "extreme" 200tw tires are faster, but I would wait to get a set of those until you have more experience.

A long time ago in another life, I wrote an article for the Corvette Forum about "Taking it to the Track." It may be about Corvettes, but the info could apply to any car. Hyperlinks don't work anymore, but if you feel like reading it, just change the last number from 1 to 5 to get to the appropriate page.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...ntopiccnews-1/

Hope this helps!

2013 Mustang GT - national ESP prep
2008 Mini Cooper S - lite DSP prep
2018 BMW 328d - daily beater
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2019, 07:27 AM   #3
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschantra View Post

Hope this helps!
This is tremendous help. Thank you much for the detailed reply!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 05:31 AM   #4
nickf30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive

Here are couple more things to consider:
6) quality engine oil preferably 5w-40 for summer / hot track day.
7) SA2015 rated helmet

For brake pad stop tech sport pads works for me no fade on track and won't squeak crazy like full blown track pads. Plan a refueling stop before entering the track.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2019, 07:30 PM   #5
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickf30 View Post
Here are couple more things to consider:
6) quality engine oil preferably 5w-40 for summer / hot track day.
7) SA2015 rated helmet

For brake pad stop tech sport pads works for me no fade on track and won't squeak crazy like full blown track pads. Plan a refueling stop before entering the track.
Much appreciated! 5w-40 liquid moly is what I normally use. I think I may rent a helmet first time I go. Thank you for the reply!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 09:30 AM   #6
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

Just remember to have fun. Look up the track you plan to drive on and watch a lot of vids to at least start to remember the track layout. During down time when the other groups are going to try to get one ride in the pace car with the instructor so you can see where their braking points are, when they turn, etc. You will learn a lot from that.

You can at least get better pads for now, such as EBC, Stoptech and Hawk. Having the bigger brakes and Brembo calipers are a good start. If your brake fluid is due get the RBF600. I assume your brake lines are stock as well, the Stoptech stainless lines aren't that expensive and worth it even for normal driving so get that done with the fluid at the same time. With the new fluid/hoses you will reduce brake fade a lot.

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2019, 07:22 PM   #7
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Just remember to have fun. Look up the track you plan to drive on and watch a lot of vids to at least start to remember the track layout. During down time when the other groups are going to try to get one ride in the pace car with the instructor so you can see where their braking points are, when they turn, etc. You will learn a lot from that.

You can at least get better pads for now, such as EBC, Stoptech and Hawk. Having the bigger brakes and Brembo calipers are a good start. If your brake fluid is due get the RBF600. I assume your brake lines are stock as well, the Stoptech stainless lines aren't that expensive and worth it even for normal driving so get that done with the fluid at the same time. With the new fluid/hoses you will reduce brake fade a lot.
Great points! I'm looking at ecs exact fit lines.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 12:37 PM   #8
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

5. If you don't think you'll be super aggressive, the A/S tire should be okay, but changing to a max performance summer certainly won't hurt. Max performance summer tires will also handle heat better. Good dual purpose tires include the Michelin PS4S or the Continential Extreme Contact Sport, and a lot of One Lap competitors choose the Michelin because they handle everything well. The "extreme" 200tw tires are faster, but I would wait to get a set of those until you have more experience.

Hope this helps!
My awesome tire shop is getting me exchanged from my A/S tires to ps4s!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 12:38 PM   #9
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 11:01 PM   #10
eschantra
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 Mustang, 08 MCS, 18 328dX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotherhef View Post
Wow, that's awesome! You're gonna like the PS4S. What tire shop if you don't mind my asking?

2013 Mustang GT - national ESP prep
2008 Mini Cooper S - lite DSP prep
2018 BMW 328d - daily beater
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 05:50 AM   #11
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Wow, that's awesome! You're gonna like the PS4S. What tire shop if you don't mind my asking?
Robertson tire in Oklahoma. I think they some how talked Michelin company to issue credit for my bf Goodrich based on how much I didn't like the comp 2 tire.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 06:06 PM   #12
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
how much I didn't like the comp 2 tire.
Agreed. Terrible tire.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos

Last edited by EDWYER; 07-04-2019 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 0