F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > In service date vs retail date - new purchase
Studio RSR

11-19-2019, 07:22 AM   #1
Joeypdx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 330

In service date vs retail date - new purchase

Bought a new 2018 330 with 50 miles 9/2019. I had the original MSO and titled and registered brand new. Few days ago I'm checking connected drive status and it's showing my cars BMW Assist/CD service expiring 2/28/2022 - which also means warranty. Maintenance ending 2/28/2021.

Which means I'm screwed out of nearly 2 years of warranty not to say the maintenance.

I've reached out to CD and they said they cannot adjust the date and nothing they can do; suggested I go back to the dealer. I emailed BMW customer service and they indicate I have to go back to the dealer.

I have corresponded twice with the dealer sales manager and sales rep over the last two weeks with reassurance that they would get back to me in a timely manner to resolve - but again nothing. I've had issues with them over a completely separate issue which was a shxt show - so my hopes of getting help are being dashed.

Has anyone else had issues with the in service date being erroneously recorded as an earlier date and not the retail date? I don't know what to do about it and obviously I'm peeved because I'm losing some of the remaining perks of buying a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 11:11 AM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeypdx View Post
Bought a new 2018 330 with 50 miles 9/2019. I had the original MSO and titled and registered brand new. Few days ago I'm checking connected drive status and it's showing my cars BMW Assist/CD service expiring 2/28/2022 - which also means warranty. Maintenance ending 2/28/2021.

Which means I'm screwed out of nearly 2 years of warranty not to say the maintenance.

I've reached out to CD and they said they cannot adjust the date and nothing they can do; suggested I go back to the dealer. I emailed BMW customer service and they indicate I have to go back to the dealer.

I have corresponded twice with the dealer sales manager and sales rep over the last two weeks with reassurance that they would get back to me in a timely manner to resolve - but again nothing. I've had issues with them over a completely separate issue which was a shxt show - so my hopes of getting help are being dashed.

Has anyone else had issues with the in service date being erroneously recorded as an earlier date and not the retail date? I don't know what to do about it and obviously I'm peeved because I'm losing some of the remaining perks of buying a BMW.
Lawyer

Why go back and reward a dealer for bad service?

Fool me once....

Furthermore, I've never heard of a BMW Dealer giving anyone a MSO on a new car....so seems this whole post is fishy to begin with. Or you tried something that is now blowing up on you.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 08:09 PM   #3
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

I’d contact your state attorney general. Sounds like they are screwing you.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 10:36 PM   #4
Joeypdx
Private
Rep

I bought in Tucson and registered in where I live in Oregon so needed MSO, ODO statement etc...which is standard to title and register a car in Oregon...not fishy and don't appreciate the insinuation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Lawyer

Fool me once....

Furthermore, I've never heard of a BMW Dealer giving anyone a MSO on a new car....so seems this whole post is fishy to begin with. Or you tried something that is now blowing up on you.

Last edited by Joeypdx; 11-19-2019 at 10:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
eluded3032.00
      11-19-2019, 10:56 PM   #5
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I bought in Tucson and registered in where I live in Oregon so needed MSO, ODO statement etc...which is standard to title and register a car in Oregon...not fishy and don't appreciate the insinuation.

Quote:
Lawyer

Fool me once....

So to recap.

You had a shit show experience with BMW Dealer in Tucson.

You live in a Oregon

So to reward them for the shit show, you went back and purchased from them again.

Now you have another shit show and wondering why you get crapped on?

And since you purchased out of State, State Lemon Laws and other protections do not apply to you....or are a nightmare.

That about sum it up?

Bottom line. Your warranty is with BMW NA. Not the Dealer. They are just BMW Representatives.

Dealer cannot make BMW NA do anything. BMW will just indemnify them and take over if you try to bring action against them.

So you will have to fight it out with BMW NA. And since you purchased out of State, you might have to seek Federal Court for relief instead of State Court in Oregon as the transaction was in another State.

Then again, you might have to hire Arizona Attorney. Best advice, talk to Attorney on how to proceed.

State Attorney General in either State most likely will not assist as parties are in different States.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 11:11 PM   #6
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Quote:

Seen a very similar MSO experience, no short warranty drama.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 01:53 AM   #7
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

No biggie. Did Tom Brady give up after the Eagles beat him in the Super Bowl, hell no. Contact dealer in good faith. If that fails. Lawyer up in Arizona. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 07:24 AM   #8
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

The OP presumably got a drive out plate that allows him to purchase the car without paying sales tax because he is going to drive it out of the state for use out of the state. There should be tons of paperwork from the dealer involving the drive out plate, the car purchase, etc.

Sounds like the dealer planned to use the car as a demo, executive car, etc. but then changed its mind. There is only one BMW dealership in Tucson. A letter indicating intent to sue both unless they immediately resolved the matter might produce results.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 08:14 AM   #9
Joeypdx
Private
Rep

I've only purchased one car from BMW of Tucson not two. Knowing now what I know I'd not go back willingly.

Quote:
So to recap.

You had a shit show experience with BMW Dealer in Tucson.

You live in a Oregon

So to reward them for the shit show, you went back and purchased from them again.

Now you have another shit show and wondering why you get crapped on?

And since you purchased out of State, State Lemon Laws and other protections do not apply to you....or are a nightmare.

That about sum it up?

Bottom line. Your warranty is with BMW NA. Not the Dealer. They are just BMW Representatives.

Dealer cannot make BMW NA do anything. BMW will just indemnify them and take over if you try to bring action against them.

So you will have to fight it out with BMW NA. And since you purchased out of State, you might have to seek Federal Court for relief instead of State Court in Oregon as the transaction was in another State.

Then again, you might have to hire Arizona Attorney. Best advice, talk to Attorney on how to proceed.

State Attorney General in either State most likely will not assist as parties are in different States.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 11:17 AM   #10
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

Your paperwork would have had this date. When I bought my CPO, the finance manager specifically pointed out the expiration dates. Gotta read before you sign.....
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #11
Joeypdx
Private
Rep

We talked about extending the maintenance and warranty and the FM did indeed quote the date it would extend to if I opted for it which jived with the day I was purchasing. But good pointer I will go back and look at the paperwork which might be key to my argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Your paperwork would have had this date. When I bought my CPO, the finance manager specifically pointed out the expiration dates. Gotta read before you sign.....
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 12:29 PM   #12
alistairk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MSport, 6MT

Quote:
We talked about extending the maintenance and warranty and the FM did indeed quote the date it would extend to if I opted for it which jived with the day I was purchasing. But good pointer I will go back and look at the paperwork which might be key to my argument.
Paperwork is likely your whole argument. Best case outcome is likely dealer eating the cost of an extended warranty to get you to the promised date if it is indeed what you signed for.

BMW NA states "coverage begins on the date of first retail sale or the date the vehicle is first placed into service as a sales demonstrator, Aftersales Mobility Program (AMP) Vehicle or company vehicle, whichever is earlier." Given there were 50 miles on the clock and the earlier "in service" date, I'd venture the guess that they followed that language to a tee.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 01:58 PM   #13
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairk View Post
Paperwork is likely your whole argument. Best case outcome is likely dealer eating the cost of an extended warranty to get you to the promised date if it is indeed what you signed for.

BMW NA states "coverage begins on the date of first retail sale or the date the vehicle is first placed into service as a sales demonstrator, Aftersales Mobility Program (AMP) Vehicle or company vehicle, whichever is earlier." Given there were 50 miles on the clock and the earlier "in service" date, I'd venture the guess that they followed that language to a tee.
MSO is not previously titled. They gave him the MSO paperwork. Im not sure why the dealership didn't fulfill the Oregon side of the paperwork, unless you're a dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 03:47 PM   #14
alistairk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MSport, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineX View Post
Quote:

MSO is not previously titled. They gave him the MSO paperwork. Im not sure why the dealership didn't fulfill the Oregon side of the paperwork, unless you're a dealer.
Definitely not a dealer, but my point was that the warranty start date from BMW NA likely has nothing to do with titling in this instance.

Even if the car was improperly run untitled as a demo car, my guess is that would be a fine with the AZ DMV (and likely to the dealer, not BMW NA), and wouldn't affect the start date of the warranty period.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 07:43 PM   #15
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

The paperwork isn't an "argument"; it's a contract. If the date in the paperwork is 4 years from purchase for the warranty, case closed; they will update the expiry date. Period
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 11:31 PM   #16
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
The paperwork isn't an "argument"; it's a contract. If the date in the paperwork is 4 years from purchase for the warranty, case closed; they will update the expiry date. Period
Nope, they won’t.

OP, most likely the car was “punched” back in February 2018. That means the dealer reported the car as sold, RDR’d (Retail Delivery Report), before it was actually sold to the first retail customer. That starts the warranty clock ticking. Dealers usually do this on unsold cars near the end of the model year to claim manufacturer incentives that are about to expire.

The dealer should have informed you the car had been punched and that the warranty clock had already started.

I would presume you got a smoking deal on the car. This is one reason why. Your best bet at getting something more from the dealer is to press them to provide a BMW extended warranty, but I’d say the odds of that are fairly low.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

11-20-2019, 11:36 PM   #17
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, the contract is the legal document.

But it's far from case closed.

There are many lawsuits against car companies for failing to uphold the contract.

The Dealer is acting as an Agent for BMW. The Dealer cannot extend the warranty. Only BMW NA can do that.

So yes, you might eventually prevail, but it's not simply "case closed".

Took me 4 years in a court of law against a car company with a "case closed" failure to honor warranty suit. BTW, during this time you cannot dispose of the car or do anything.

Knowing that, they will try and wait you out dragging it out for as long as possible.

SOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Quote:
Nope, they won't.

OP, most likely the car was "punched" back in February 2018. That means the dealer reported the car as sold, RDR'd (Retail Delivery Report), before it was actually sold to the first retail customer. That starts the warranty clock ticking. Dealers usually do this on unsold cars near the end of the model year to claim manufacturer incentives that are about to expire.

The dealer should have informed you the car had been punched and that the warranty clock had already started.

I would presume you got a smoking deal on the car. This is one reason why. Your best bet at getting something more from the dealer is to press them to provide a BMW extended warranty, but I'd say the odds of that are fairly low.
An extended contract, (even with extended service agreement), has a deductible and is still not as comprehensive as a new car 4 year/50k warranty.

I'd file to have the contract voided as BMW is failing to honor it.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 08:36 AM   #18
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Nope, they won’t.

OP, most likely the car was “punched” back in February 2018. That means the dealer reported the car as sold, RDR’d (Retail Delivery Report), before it was actually sold to the first retail customer. That starts the warranty clock ticking. Dealers usually do this on unsold cars near the end of the model year to claim manufacturer incentives that are about to expire.

I would presume you got a smoking deal on the car. This is one reason why. Your best bet at getting something more from the dealer is to press them to provide a BMW extended warranty, but I’d say the odds of that are fairly low.
The warranty expiration date in the "system" can't be different than the date on your sales contract. Your contract is a legally binding agreement; BMW can't just enter a wrong date in their system and circumvent your contract.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 09:01 AM   #19
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well, the contract is the legal document.

But it's far from case closed.

There are many lawsuits against car companies for failing to uphold the contract.

The Dealer is acting as an Agent for BMW. The Dealer cannot extend the warranty. Only BMW NA can do that.

So yes, you might eventually prevail, but it's not simply "case closed".

Took me 4 years in a court of law against a car company with a "case closed" failure to honor warranty suit. BTW, during this time you cannot dispose of the car or do anything.

Knowing that, they will try and wait you out dragging it out for as long as possible.

SOP

An extended contract, (even with extended service agreement), has a deductible and is still not as comprehensive as a new car 4 year/50k warranty.

I'd file to have the contract voided as BMW is failing to honor it.
Ok, fine. Sure. BMW may make you sue to confirm that the contract says what is says. If you think BMW is going to push a lawsuit because they say the date in the contract isn't the real date, fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 09:11 AM   #20
Joeypdx
Private
Rep

Got word back from BMW they have adjusted the date - thankfully my loud protests to escalate worked and whew its taken care of. Sorry for the post thrash.
Appreciate 5
      11-23-2019, 06:38 PM   #21
KDW4him
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
As I was looking at used BMW's near the end of their warranty I noticed BMW doesn't go by the first sale date but more like when the dealer gets it prepped and ready to sell. I ran across a car with a first owner about a year and a half past the first listed for sale at the dealer date and you guessed it, the warranty expires via the dealer date not sale date.

BMW, you might find better but you can't pay more
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 07:32 PM   #22
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Got word back from BMW they have adjusted the date - thankfully my loud protests to escalate worked and whew its taken care of. Sorry for the post thrash.
That’s great news. The car must not have been “punched”. Did they give any explanation for the discrepancy? If you’re close enough you might want to swing by the dealer and have the service department “read” your key. Your key data indicates the start date and end date of the warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDW4him View Post
As I was looking at used BMW's near the end of their warranty I noticed BMW doesn't go by the first sale date but more like when the dealer gets it prepped and ready to sell. I ran across a car with a first owner about a year and a half past the first listed for sale at the dealer date and you guessed it, the warranty expires via the dealer date not sale date.
Normally the warranty begins on the date the car was put into service, the in-service date, which is usually the date the first retail purchaser signs the purchase contract. Other possibilities are the “punched” scenario I described above and others. When a car is designated as a “demo” the warranty starts on the in-service date, but it is also extended by three months and 5,000 miles. Then, of course, there are loaners, which some dealers use for as long as a year or 10,000 - 12,000 miles.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!