F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New to tuning and mods - first timer with a couple questions
GetBMWParts

11-30-2019, 12:07 PM   #1
SimpleJack
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 C

New to tuning and mods - first timer with a couple questions

First time poster here, and new to the tuning realm, but have been reading the forum for a little bit... and have been a huge BMW fan as long as I can remember.

I'm just looking for some advice on how to get a little extra performance out of my 2015 435i xDrive GC, which is my DD that I don't track.... but still like to drive aggressively when I can!

First of all, this is going to sounds really dumb, but I haven't seen anyone define what constitutes Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3 - etc. and what parts/tunes make them up... I understand Jb4 and flash tune, but just curious if there's a clear definition of the different stages.

I currently only have a BMS intake installed, but I have a high-flow catted DP, CP, TIC kit, and comp sport FMIC in my possession, awaiting install this month- all from Evolution Racewerks. Also considering AWE axel-back exhaust but want to hear how the DP sounds first... don't want to be obnoxious on sound

My plan is to have the above installed, and then top it off with a tune (likely bm3, rather than piggy backing a Jb4)... I just wanted to build the inner components before going to a tune.

One of my biggest regrets about buying my car (bought it last summer with 10k miles) is the car is the luxury line trim, which is nice and all because it's fully loaded in that trim- including tech package, driver assistance plus, cold weather, etc. etc. etc., but it doesn't have the aggressive look as Msport, and lacks some of the performance features that come with Msport. Does anyone have any experience converting the body style of a luxury line to MSport - might sound like a waste of money given the labor cost and paint, but it's been bugging me. I'm also open to any suggestions from you guys on how to sharpen up the performance look of a luxury line.

Additionally, the front collision monitor that comes with the driver assistance plus pkg is affixed right over the FMIC. Does this negatively affect performance?

Pretty excited to get the DP, CP, TIC kit, FMIC up and running with a tune - think it could be a real game changer.

A little guidance on the above questions would be appreciated... and I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but happy to finally be getting a bit more power out of a car I've thoroughly enjoyed since buying it. I'll get some pictures up soon.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 01:16 PM   #2
F36GC_NYC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 435GC xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
First time poster here, and new to the tuning realm, but have been reading the forum for a little bit... and have been a huge BMW fan as long as I can remember.

I'm just looking for some advice on how to get a little extra performance out of my 2015 435i xDrive GC, which is my DD that I don't track.... but still like to drive aggressively when I can!

First of all, this is going to sounds really dumb, but I haven't seen anyone define what constitutes Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3 - etc. and what parts/tunes make them up... I understand Jb4 and flash tune, but just curious if there's a clear definition of the different stages.

I currently only have a BMS intake installed, but I have a high-flow catted DP, CP, TIC kit, and comp sport FMIC in my possession, awaiting install this month- all from Evolution Racewerks. Also considering AWE axel-back exhaust but want to hear how the DP sounds first... don't want to be obnoxious on sound

My plan is to have the above installed, and then top it off with a tune (likely bm3, rather than piggy backing a Jb4)... I just wanted to build the inner components before going to a tune.

One of my biggest regrets about buying my car (bought it last summer with 10k miles) is the car is the luxury line trim, which is nice and all because it's fully loaded in that trim- including tech package, driver assistance plus, cold weather, etc. etc. etc., but it doesn't have the aggressive look as Msport, and lacks some of the performance features that come with Msport. Does anyone have any experience converting the body style of a luxury line to MSport - might sound like a waste of money given the labor cost and paint, but it's been bugging me. I'm also open to any suggestions from you guys on how to sharpen up the performance look of a luxury line.

Additionally, the front collision monitor that comes with the driver assistance plus pkg is affixed right over the FMIC. Does this negatively affect performance?

Pretty excited to get the DP, CP, TIC kit, FMIC up and running with a tune - think it could be a real game changer.

A little guidance on the above questions would be appreciated... and I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but happy to finally be getting a bit more power out of a car I've thoroughly enjoyed since buying it. I'll get some pictures up soon.

Thanks
stage 1/2/3 refers to the level of mods you have done to you car, without mentioning 50 words.

when you tune the car with bm3 for example, each stage requires a certain amount of parts to be upgraded so that the engine can handle the tune.

the exterior can all be updated, depending on which route you go, oem or after market it can be expensive, but it can be done nonetheless.

if you look at kiesmotorsports he basically took a 328 entry level and completely transformed it. google it and check out his utube page.

also you sound just like me, i too recently ordered cp,dp,intake,fmic, bm3, waiting on the parts so i can install them. i am so excited you have no idea.

ps we also have the same car cept mine is 2016...

keeps us updated on your progress

welcome to the forms and congrats

Last edited by F36GC_NYC; 11-30-2019 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 01:22 PM   #3
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
The collision avoidance system utilizes the KAFAS2 camera behind your rear view mirror, if you have a rectangular device mounted in front of your FMIC then it is the radar used for adaptive cruise control. Is there a plastic cover on your grill that says 'Connected Drive'? Does your steering wheel have two buttons on the left side with a lane and arrows pointing up and down?

Many people have upgraded to m-bumpers.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 01:46 PM   #4
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks
Yup, those "Stage#" marketing terms can get confusing really fast. Often it's specific to the engine which in your case is an N55. You have made some excellent choices and you will really enjoy when it's all installed.

For BootMod3 hardware requirements:

BootMod3 Stage1 can be installed on a stock car, with charge pipe upgrade highly recommended since stock plastic pipe will crack at 90 degree bend.

BootMod3 Stage2 requires a high-flow downpipe, either catted or catless to reduce back pressure on the turbo which allows for more power. You also should upgrade the intercooler. While technically not necessary, without a better intercooler your car will go into a heat soak condition with intake air temp too high so car goes into power limiting modes.

Higher level BM3 Stages are about upgrading the stock turbo itself and more exotic fueling options than 91/93 octane pump gas. You can upgrade to about 400 horsepower with the stock turbo which is huge. Parts, labor and other required mods gets into many $1,000's when you start talking about upgrading the turbo itself. Huge money for no where near the return you are getting with your intended mods!

Now there are other manufacturers that use "Stage#" also. For instance, all of Pure Turbos stages are upgrades to the stock turbo so a Pure Stage1 (PS1) or a Pure Stage2 (PS2) does not equate at all to BootMod3 Stages1&2.

The AWE axle back exhaust would be great with the ER catted DP and the stock midpipe. Be careful about replacing the stock midpipe. Many find it too loud and it can add a lot of drone which is terrible. AWE has some beautiful 102mm tips that look incredible with an upgraded rear diffuser. Check out Kies Motorsports YouTube channel for AWE factory tours and installation videos. I got my diffuser upgrade from Kies. Great video on that and body panels. Kies sells only great fitting body panels and knows what works and what could end up being a disaster. Check out their website, 300 YouTube videos and send them an email with your questions. They are inundated with requests daily so don't worry if they don't get back immediately. They really know what they are doing!

Good luck! Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 02:16 PM   #5
Yungsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:

Thanks
I was in the same exact boat as you 4 months ago with my 2016 435i lux line. I flashed BM3 stage 2 with included transmission flash and it transformed the driving experience. I highly recommended BM3!

I also converted the luxury line by buying the Mtech M Performance look from Ebay which includes both bumpers, side skirts, front lip, side extensions for under 1k (not including paint and install). It was absolutely worth it for me and the fitment was spot on. Here are some before and after pics:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 04:06 PM   #6
SimpleJack
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyki View Post
The collision avoidance system utilizes the KAFAS2 camera behind your rear view mirror, if you have a rectangular device mounted in front of your FMIC then it is the radar used for adaptive cruise control. Is there a plastic cover on your grill that says 'Connected Drive'? Does your steering wheel have two buttons on the left side with a lane and arrows pointing up and down?

Many people have upgraded to m-bumpers.
Yes - that's exactly what that is. Just curious if it impacts performance as it's covering a lot of the intercooler. Thanks for the note
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 04:07 PM   #7
SimpleJack
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yungsta View Post
I was in the same exact boat as you 4 months ago with my 2016 435i lux line. I flashed BM3 stage 2 with included transmission flash and it transformed the driving experience. I highly recommended BM3!

I also converted the luxury line by buying the Mtech M Performance look from Ebay which includes both bumpers, side skirts, front lip, side extensions for under 1k (not including paint and install). It was absolutely worth it for me and the fitment was spot on. Here are some before and after pics:
That looks insane! Awesome, man. This gives me a lot of hope. I may PM you with more details on the process.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 04:08 PM   #8
SimpleJack
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Yup, those "Stage#" marketing terms can get confusing really fast. Often it's specific to the engine which in your case is an N55. You have made some excellent choices and you will really enjoy when it's all installed.

For BootMod3 hardware requirements:

BootMod3 Stage1 can be installed on a stock car, with charge pipe upgrade highly recommended since stock plastic pipe will crack at 90 degree bend.

BootMod3 Stage2 requires a high-flow downpipe, either catted or catless to reduce back pressure on the turbo which allows for more power. You also should upgrade the intercooler. While technically not necessary, without a better intercooler your car will go into a heat soak condition with intake air temp too high so car goes into power limiting modes.

Higher level BM3 Stages are about upgrading the stock turbo itself and more exotic fueling options than 91/93 octane pump gas. You can upgrade to about 400 horsepower with the stock turbo which is huge. Parts, labor and other required mods gets into many $1,000's when you start talking about upgrading the turbo itself. Huge money for no where near the return you are getting with your intended mods!

Now there are other manufacturers that use "Stage#" also. For instance, all of Pure Turbos stages are upgrades to the stock turbo so a Pure Stage1 (PS1) or a Pure Stage2 (PS2) does not equate at all to BootMod3 Stages1&2.

The AWE axle back exhaust would be great with the ER catted DP and the stock midpipe. Be careful about replacing the stock midpipe. Many find it too loud and it can add a lot of drone which is terrible. AWE has some beautiful 102mm tips that look incredible with an upgraded rear diffuser. Check out Kies Motorsports YouTube channel for AWE factory tours and installation videos. I got my diffuser upgrade from Kies. Great video on that and body panels. Kies sells only great fitting body panels and knows what works and what could end up being a disaster. Check out their website, 300 YouTube videos and send them an email with your questions. They are inundated with requests daily so don't worry if they don't get back immediately. They really know what they are doing!

Good luck! Hope this helps!
I'm a big fan of Kies Motorspot Youtube videos, but haven't seen the conversion. Thanks so much for your reply. Extremely helpful.
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00