F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > M Performance Steering Wheel ( Electronic )
proTUNING Freaks

10-21-2019, 08:08 AM   #1
romemedrano
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Hey everyone, 2nd post here . I introduced myself in my last post but again new F30 member coming from Focus RS World that I use to track heavily. I installed this new wheel onto my F30 the first week I got her . I've been wanting this wheel every-time customers come to my dealership ( I'm a dealer BMW tech by profession ) .

Enough talk here are photos:

Also the shift lights in action during my last track:

If you want to know more of the IRP shifter I posted info on the drivetrain section of this forum.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 02:09 AM   #2
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

This is a standard M Performance II wheel, had this also into my F32.
Alcantara sux after few months, especially around the M1 and M2 buttons when have to press for activating. Second bummer is the display failure at temperatures into car above 40°C.
For that amount of money I'd expected more than this.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4487.00
      10-22-2019, 04:33 PM   #3
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
This is a standard M Performance II wheel, had this also into my F32.
Alcantara sux after few months, especially around the M1 and M2 buttons when have to press for activating. Second bummer is the display failure at temperatures into car above 40°C.
For that amount of money I'd expected more than this.
Had not heard about failure above 40°C/104°F
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 02:06 AM   #4
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Had not heard about failure above 40°C/104°F
Its a known fact, BMW explains this with an implemented display protection against overheat. That's nonsense, its an OLED display and every screen with bigger dimensions would withstand higher temps.
Aside from this its more than annoying that you have to press constantly one of the buttons at the wheel to keep the display alive, if not, its falls off after round about 10 minutes until you'll press one button again. That isn't recodeable.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 09:15 AM   #5
smallba
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
I think failure might the wrong word. I did notice if it too hot (Overheat from direct sun when my car was parked), It will not turn one (blinks Red) once cooled it comes on no problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 03:17 PM   #6
ErkanTR16
64-bit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i xDrive

Garage List
BMW of Rockville installed this for me on my 340i. They under estimated the labor and install time so they originally quoted me $250 to install. They said it would take around 30-45 mins.. It actually took them 3 days to install this... I drove a loaner for 3 days LOL. And final quote was around $700 including labor.. But i paid the first quote of course because that's what they promised at first.

I wanted to install this myself but it seems very complicated with the wiring so i had no options but to have the dealership install it. It's been 1 month so far i have not experienced any issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 05:00 PM   #7
romemedrano
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErkanTR16 View Post
BMW of Rockville installed this for me on my 340i. They under estimated the labor and install time so they originally quoted me $250 to install. They said it would take around 30-45 mins.. It actually took them 3 days to install this... I drove a loaner for 3 days LOL. And final quote was around $700 including labor.. But i paid the first quote of course because that's what they promised at first.

I wanted to install this myself but it seems very complicated with the wiring so i had no options but to have the dealership install it. It's been 1 month so far i have not experienced any issues.
Dang ! I did it in an right around 1.5-2 hours first time lol. I'm a BMW dealer tech by trade so it was easy ....

I'm probably gonna be the goto guy for all the wheel install at my dealer now lol
Appreciate 2
ErkanTR16598.00
smallba73.00
      11-25-2019, 02:56 AM   #8
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by romemedrano View Post
Dang ! I did it in an right around 1.5-2 hours first time lol. I'm a BMW dealer tech by trade so it was easy ....

I'm probably gonna be the goto guy for all the wheel install at my dealer now lol
You had just needed 2h for wheel/airbag exchange, harness routing AND FEM bus splicing?
Wow, thats amazing, my time was around 6h, but I wasnt into a rush

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 11:27 AM   #9
romemedrano
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
You had just needed 2h for wheel/airbag exchange, harness routing AND FEM bus splicing?
Wow, thats amazing, my time was around 6h, but I wasnt into a rush
haha yeah dealer tech ...i can usually take a dash out in 1-1.5 hours on f30.
Appreciate 1
Dang3r12512.00
      11-25-2019, 01:25 PM   #10
fondoo1287
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F36

yeah, mines overheat in the direct sunlight also.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 03:52 AM   #11
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondoo1287 View Post
yeah, mines overheat in the direct sunlight also.
Thats exactly what Im talking about. If you turn AC on and cool down inside, the display would work later on again at temperatures below 40°C.
This and the fact of the necessary continously pressing the buttons to keep the display alive are for the listed stock price quite to much for me just to have this gadget again. But this has everybody to find out for himself.

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 07:51 AM   #12
disintegrator66
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 340i M-Sport 6MT THP MPPSK

Quote:
Hey everyone, 2nd post here . I introduced myself in my last post but again new F30 member coming from Focus RS World that I use to track heavily. I installed this new wheel onto my F30 the first week I got her . I've been wanting this wheel every-time customers come to my dealership ( I'm a dealer BMW tech by profession ) .

If you want to know more of the IRP shifter I posted info on the drivetrain section of this forum.
Cool gadget, but pricey. As you are a track guy does it perform well for its intended function? Also I hate alcantara and would need to have recovered in leather if I purchased one.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 07:53 AM   #13
romemedrano
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by disintegrator66 View Post
Quote:

Cool gadget, but pricey. As you are a track guy does it perform well for its intended function? Also I hate alcantara and would need to have recovered in leather if I purchased one.
Yeah the oil and coolant temp portion alone was worth the install. I can see my temps right away and the shift light is obviously a cool feature. Alcantara is nice for daily and better with my OMP Racing gloves.
Appreciate 0