F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Head unit swaps?
GetBMWParts

11-26-2019, 09:14 PM   #1
Doug Dimmadome
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330ix

Head unit swaps?

I couldn't find any other threads specifically about this:

I'm in a 2017 F30 with a 6.5" head unit and really just want to be able to use certain apps through my head unit rather than having to pick up my phone and keep my eyes off the road more than I should. My current setup does not allow for remote services or really connected drive at all.

My question is:
Would upgrading to an OEM 10.25in head unit allow for me to use remote services or should I just go aftermarket?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 10:28 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electr0Maton View Post
I couldn't find any other threads specifically about this:

I'm in a 2017 F30 with a 6.5" head unit and really just want to be able to use certain apps through my head unit rather than having to pick up my phone and keep my eyes off the road more than I should. My current setup does not allow for remote services or really connected drive at all.

My question is:
Would upgrading to an OEM 10.25in head unit allow for me to use remote services or should I just go aftermarket?
Based on info you have provided, I do not believe your car can be retrofitted with an OEM 10.2" CID as you have the non-navigation base Head Unit.

BMW Connected Drive and BMW Remote Services are out of the question without several thousand being spent.

Your cheapest alternative is an aftermarket unit of which the pros and cons are discussed in the appropriate section.
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301999.50
      11-27-2019, 07:34 AM   #3
clemsonf31
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i wagon

Take a look at BimmerTech for their CarPlay/Android auto MMI unit. I have their newest prime version that supports wireless CarPlay however I also had the older version that required plugging the phone in to utilize CarPlay. Both options far outperform the stock idrive OS and allow you to keep OEM look of the interior.

Max
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2019, 07:37 AM   #4
Doug Dimmadome
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Based on info you have provided, I do not believe your car can be retrofitted with an OEM 10.2" CID as you have the non-navigation base Head Unit.

BMW Connected Drive and BMW Remote Services are out of the question without several thousand being spent.

Your cheapest alternative is an aftermarket unit of which the pros and cons are discussed in the appropriate section.

Great, that's what I wanted to know.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 08:30 AM   #5
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonf31 View Post
Take a look at BimmerTech for their CarPlay/Android auto MMI unit. I have their newest prime version that supports wireless CarPlay however I also had the older version that required plugging the phone in to utilize CarPlay. Both options far outperform the stock idrive OS and allow you to keep OEM look of the interior.

Max
This is not something I was looking for, but suddenly I'm interested! LOL

So with this unit from BimmerTech, you get to keep the full functionality of the stock iDrive, but get the added functionality of the CarPlay MMI by holding down the Menu button on the iDrive controller?
      11-28-2019, 12:05 PM   #6
clemsonf31
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRimmer View Post
This is not something I was looking for, but suddenly I'm interested! LOL

So with this unit from BimmerTech, you get to keep the full functionality of the stock iDrive, but get the added functionality of the CarPlay MMI by holding down the Menu button on the iDrive controller?
Correct, the user interface allows you to utilize all of the stock functionality of the idrive, including the steering wheel controls. I’m not a fan of the idrive system so the MMI has supplemented my need for CarPlay very well

Max
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 12:52 PM   #7
F36GC_NYC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 435GC xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonf31 View Post

Max
how easy/hard was install? any videos?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 08:05 PM   #8
clemsonf31
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F36GC_NYC View Post
how easy/hard was install? any videos?
Easy, the jumper harness is completely PnP, videos available on BimmerTech website

Max
Appreciate 0