F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > "Read Out" feature for email, news etc
Extreme Powerhouse

09-17-2016, 02:12 AM   #1
BnB
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

"Read Out" feature for email, news etc

When I picked up my new 3er, I set up an email account in ConnectedDrive so that I could see emails in my car using Online Mail, rather than BMW Office (I have an iPhone and no EBT).

Apart from a 20 minute delay compared to the alerts on my phone, the account works fine. I receive, see notifications (headers) on the move and can read and reply to messages when stationary.

I also set up voice features via the car and, after a delay of a few days, I was able to dictate emails on the move via iDrive and have the software read them out to me.

Most of the time I don't bother with the latter features because journeys are less than an hour, but on long journeys I find it very useful as I have a time critical relationship with my emails.

However, on an 8 hour drive this Thursday, I noticed that the "Record" (ie dictate) and "Read Out" features were " not available at the moment". Later that evening, I could dictate again but, 2 days later, "Read Out" is still unavailable for emails and other apps like News.

Anyone else experienced this? Likely causes include an incomplete software update or that the function is server-based and requires a strong connection. But I swear I've used it previously driving through the Lake District where there's no phone signal at all.

Interested in others' experiences with the "Read Out" feature.
      09-17-2016, 02:42 AM   #2
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

just get EBT coded and you'll also have the ability to dictate text messages.
      09-17-2016, 03:16 AM   #3
BnB
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbles
just get EBT coded and you'll also have the ability to dictate text messages.
Thanks but I already have that with Siri Eyes Free integration. And I don't use text 99% of the time. It's the 100 work emails that I want power over (on long journeys only). EBT would only give me what I already have, ie email with voice features, and doesn't work with iPhone anyway!!

It's the disappearance of a feature that existed last week that's perplexing me.