F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Best DVR for cable?
Studio RSR

10-06-2019, 10:02 PM   #1
JTM09
BMW addict
Rep
Drives: German cars

Best DVR for cable?

My comcast box isn’t the greatest. Have you upgraded to a Tivo or other device? Looking for suggestions...thanks
      10-07-2019, 12:02 PM   #2
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM09 View Post
My comcast box isn’t the greatest. Have you upgraded to a Tivo or other device? Looking for suggestions...thanks
I've had a TiVo 4th gen for several years now. Besides the monthly fee for guide service, it requires a neutered cable box (tuning adapter) to be attached to change channels in areas using switched video (many places). It also does some of the popular streaming services as an afterthought , although not as well as Apple TV or an Amazon Fire TV stick.

I have a love-hate relationship with the thing, and will not be replacing it when the hard drive inside finally fails. That day will be the reason why I finally cut the cord on TV.....
      10-08-2019, 01:42 AM   #3
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Their latest biz isn't too bad. All in the cloud
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 01:09 PM   #4
JTM09
BMW addict
Rep

My biggest complaint the poor FF / Rewind / and lack of slow motion. Overall it’s not bad tho I agree.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 01:24 PM   #5
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

who DVR's still? don't you stream?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2019, 04:09 PM   #6
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Only when standing in front of the toilet.

Seriously, other than "The Grand Tour" on Amazon Prime and occasionally NASA TV, we don't stream anything in our house. No Netflix, Hulu, game consoles, none of it. We practically live the Amish life.....
      10-08-2019, 04:34 PM   #7
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Agreed...was at a friend's house the other day and the Comcast guide was super annoying to navigate....Fios is a million times worse though.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 04:48 PM   #8
qba335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
+1

I use PS Vue now and it works well.

When I had cable I used Tivo.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 05:37 PM   #9
bigrum
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

Comcast video on demand forces commercials on you for most channels.

DVR gives you the freedom to record what you want and when it originally airs, not if/when a streaming platform decides to carry it.

I was kind of impressed the latest Xfinity DVR update I got it actually auto resumes play when you hit FF during a recording.

I had a PC with Windows media center for a while, it worked ok but wasn't super reliable when it came to scheduled recordings (sometimes my fault too for powering it off and forgetting).

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Their latest biz isn't too bad. All in the cloud
Hmm interest piqued, I still have a big clunker master box in my house and slave boxes for other TVs, but yet my recorded shows are available to stream anywhere. Makes me wonder if they already moved my recordings to cloud and just charge me for a hard drive box sitting in my house.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 08:06 PM   #10
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

We use DirecTV DVRs (and also have Apple TV for streaming) at home and stream in our vacation condo. Streaming is a PITA in comparison. A DVR with a good channel guide and all programs you want in a single list is more convenient than navigating through multiple apps to find different content. Additionally, games streaming on ESPN seem slightly delayed vs. live broadcast.

OP, I suggest switching from cable to DirecTV. We have older DVRs and even their functionality is good. We started out using TiVo and DirecTV a long time ago before they went their separate ways. While I liked the TiVo interface I don’t ever foresee getting another one now that I am so used to the DirecTV DVRs.
      10-08-2019, 10:50 PM   #11
JTM09
BMW addict
Rep

DVR some shows, for sports mostly.

Had directv years ago and was happy. Now where we live the hoa makes out door equipment a tricky issue ...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 12:33 PM   #12
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
DVR some shows, for sports mostly.

Had directv years ago and was happy. Now where we live the hoa makes out door equipment a tricky issue ...
The most fun that I ever had on vacation was spending a week at our family's winter place in Florida messing with the local HOA, town code enforcer, and cable company. I brought my portable DirecTV dish setup along, and it triggered a neighbor who worked for the local cable TV monopoly to get it shut down and removed. At one point, the code enforcer set his clipboard down within 5 feet of the dish...but still couldn't find it.

Give me a south view anywhere in the lower 48, and I'll get you a DirecTV signal that no NIMBY HOA will ever discover.....
      10-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #13
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
The most fun that I ever had on vacation was spending a week at our family's winter place in Florida messing with the local HOA, town code enforcer, and cable company. I brought my portable DirecTV dish setup along, and it triggered a neighbor who worked for the local cable TV monopoly to get it shut down and removed. At one point, the code enforcer set his clipboard down within 5 feet of the dish...but still couldn't find it.

Give me a south view anywhere in the lower 48, and I'll get you a DirecTV signal that no NIMBY HOA will ever discover.....
Yeah our dish is mounted to a slab near the pool equipment and concealed by hedges. No one would ever know it’s there. Plus, I seem to remember that HOAs can no longer prevent you from getting satellite and having a dish that meets certain requirements anyway (by FCC rule).
      10-09-2019, 04:00 PM   #14
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
My comcast box isn't the greatest. Have you upgraded to a Tivo or other device? Looking for suggestions...thanks
I've had a TiVo 4th gen for several years now. Besides the monthly fee for guide service, it requires a neutered cable box (tuning adapter) to be attached to change channels in areas using switched video (many places). It also does some of the popular streaming services as an afterthought , although not as well as Apple TV or an Amazon Fire TV stick.

I have a love-hate relationship with the thing, and will not be replacing it when the hard drive inside finally fails. That day will be the reason why I finally cut the cord on TV.....
I'm not a cord cutter, but I think if I were I would be more inspired to buy a TiVo. That's how I'd be recording OTA programs.
      10-09-2019, 04:38 PM   #15
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:

Streaming is becoming more of a pain in the ass. With the various networks and content creators all wanting their own streaming services for collecting subscription revenue, you may need to have numerous subscriptions just to be able to access all of the shows you would like to watch. Depending on what you want to watch, it could be more cost effective to use cable or satellite.

Streaming also has the potential to go over data caps that your ISP or wireless provider may have in place, which can cause reduction in speed or worse, additional charges.

Also keep in mind that a DVR gives you complete control for fast forwarding through your recorded content. Some streaming services may have ads that you are not allowed to fast forward through.
      10-09-2019, 06:52 PM   #16
flgfish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91, 2015 911 C2

We have a TiVo Roamio and a bunch of Minis around the house.
Tivo just launched their new "Edge" device. I have no idea why I'd upgrade at this point.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 07:55 PM   #17
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
I'm not a cord cutter, but I think if I were I would be more inspired to buy a TiVo. That's how I'd be recording OTA programs.
No OTA in these parts, except for a religious station that I wouldn't watch if it were the only station that we received...and it is!!!
      10-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #18
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
No OTA in these parts, except for a religious station that I wouldn't watch if it were the only station that we received...and it is!!!
PSA: the OTA reception site is below:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps