F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Folding Mirror Retrofit Done
GetBMWParts

02-04-2019, 04:27 AM   #1
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

I did the retrofit for the Folding Side Mirrors for my F32.
So I bought the folding mirrors and mirror switch box with folding button.

After reading the tutorials on the forum it seemed like cars with non folding mirrors have 6 pin connectors and there is some re-wiring or wire cutting/tapping needed from the mirror switch in order to get the passenger mirror to work as the folding mirrors have 5 pins. But the information is not very clear.

However when I removed my door mirrors, I found my mirrors actually had 5 pins and not 6. I was expecting it to have the 6 pins.
I checked the wires to the switch box and it had the wires 1,2,3,4,10,11 but not the 7,8,9 that goes to the passenger mirror.

When I plugged in the mirrors, I was suprised the mirror adjustment controls worked for both sides. With passenger side auto reverse dip also working. So the mirrors must be controlled via the FEM

I then coded in the option 430 and VO coded FEM Body and the mirror folding now works. Also the anti dazzle on drivers side works.

My car has auto dimming rear view mirror and electric memory seats so appears that if you already have the mirrors with 5 pins, apart from coding the folding mirrors, the wiring is already there and is almost plug and play. No re-wiring neccessary.

I was glad it turned out so straight forward without having to cut or re-wire the loom and think it's a retrofit definitely worth doing.
The only thing I have noticed is the mirrors don't fold at exactly at the same time.
Appreciate 3
Poochie9104.50
      02-04-2019, 04:49 AM   #2
Simon89
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D XDrive

Where are you checking to see if the car has either 5 or 6 wires?
      02-04-2019, 05:02 AM   #3
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon89 View Post
Where are you checking to see if the car has either 5 or 6 wires?
You can check the connector on the mirror itself. Some have 6 pins and some have 5 pins.
Also the pin configuration on the mirror switch box will be slightly different as the wire configuration is different.

Last edited by kingmonkey8; 02-04-2019 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 11:53 PM   #4
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 320i xdrive

How bad is the delay? I got one mirror and will b getting the other n doing this soon. My ocd may kill me if they don't fold at same time. Lol
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 04:44 AM   #5
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhnblckwood View Post
How bad is the delay? I got one mirror and will b getting the other n doing this soon. My ocd may kill me if they don't fold at same time. Lol
Quote:
It's only like for a split second.

Have you checked how many pins your mirror has?
Have you bought the window switch?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 06:50 AM   #6
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmonkey8 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
It's only like for a split second.

Have you checked how many pins your mirror has?
Have you bought the window switch?
Haven't opened up the mirror yet n no haven't bought the switch.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 06:51 AM   #7
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep

This is the one I bought.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 07:18 AM   #8
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Depending on the mirror connector on your car. If it has 5 pins it should be plug and play. If it has 6, then you will need to re-wire it for the passenger side.

Most of the window switches have broken tabs as they are difficult to take them out without breaking the tab. But you can just buy the surround from BMW for less than £20.

The auto fold mirrors should come with the dimming glass. But on later cars only the drivers side has the dimming feature. If you want it for the passenger make sure the mirror has got the dimming glass.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 05:42 PM   #9
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Depending on the mirror connector on your car. If it has 5 pins it should be plug and play. If it has 6, then you will need to re-wire it for the passenger side.

Most of the window switches have broken tabs as they are difficult to take them out without breaking the tab. But you can just buy the surround from BMW for less than £20.

The auto fold mirrors should come with the dimming glass. But on later cars only the drivers side has the dimming feature. If you want it for the passenger make sure the mirror has got the dimming glass.
Thanks man. I hope I have 5 pins lol I'm aware of bmw cheating out on the passenger side in the recent years. I don't get it but whatever. So ur saying the window switch is only 20$?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 05:48 PM   #10
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks man. I hope I have 5 pins lol I'm aware of bmw cheating out on the passenger side in the recent years. I don't get it but whatever. So ur saying the window switch is only 20$?
Not the switch, but the surround that clips into the door.
It's two pieces, the switch and the surround.
Most of the switches for sale had broken clips. But it's easily replaced. TBH it doesn't make much of a difference.
If you have electric memory seats with auto dim rear view mirror then you might have the 5 pins.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 05:51 PM   #11
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not the switch, but the surround that clips into the door.
It's two pieces, the switch and the surround.
Most of the switches for sale had broken clips. But it's easily replaced. TBH it doesn't make much of a difference.
If you have electric memory seats with auto dim rear view mirror then you might have the 5 pins.
Oh ok. I got u. Thanks man.
I do have electric/heated seat w memory and auto dim interior mirror but I retrofitted the mirror.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 03:49 PM   #12
bmhewett
Private
Rep
Drives: 3012 328i sport 6 speed MT.

i want to have folding mirors

Quote:

After reading the tutorials on the forum it seemed like cars with non folding mirrors have 6 pin connectors and there is some re-wiring or wire cutting/tapping needed from the mirror switch in order to get the passenger mirror to work as the folding mirrors have 5 pins. But the information is not very clear.

However when I removed my door mirrors, I found my mirrors actually had 5 pins and not 6. I was expecting it to have the 6 pins.
I checked the wires to the switch box and it had the wires 1,2,3,4,10,11 but not the 7,8,9 that goes to the passenger mirror.

When I plugged in the mirrors, I was suprised the mirror adjustment controls worked for both sides. With passenger side auto reverse dip also working. So the mirrors must be controlled via the FEM

I then coded in the option 430 and VO coded FEM Body and the mirror folding now works. Also the anti dazzle on drivers side works.

My car has auto dimming rear view mirror and electric memory seats so appears that if you already have the mirrors with 5 pins, apart from coding the folding mirrors, the wiring is already there and is almost plug and play. No re-wiring neccessary.

I was glad it turned out so straight forward without having to cut or re-wire the loom and think it's a retrofit definitely worth doing.
The only thing I have noticed is the mirrors don't fold at exactly at the same time.

hello, i'm glad you finally have folding mirrors, i want to do the same to my car, do you have the parts numbers? two mirrors and door swith.

thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #13
SoCalCarGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440ix cpe + 2018 x4 m40i

ummm...I used Bimmercode to make my mirrors close. took 5 min with my phone and wifi dongle.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 08:45 AM   #14
odessa
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 435d XDrive

Code

Quote:

Hi, new to this forum.

Just traded my F10 535d for 435d Xdrive and want to do this mod.

Can I ask what you coded the car with ?

Is there a how to guide anywhere

Thanks

Jay
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 05:10 AM   #15
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
If anyone is looking for a mint set of OEM F32/F33/F36 Shadowline Mirrors-Complete, with all options - I have a set FS

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1556363
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 07:17 AM   #16
freespirit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 2016 BMW 328i

I have a mirror set for sale. Take a look at the link below and pm me if interested. Thanks!

FS: f30 exterior mirros https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1743430

Retrofits: NBT evo ID6, 6wb cluster, heated steering wheel, HUD, Kafas2 with LDW, SLI, HBA, FCW and pedestrian warning, LCW, Surround View, Parking Assist and ACC with Stop
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 09:48 PM   #17
JohnnyGFitness
Rep
Drives: Black on Black 328xi Coupe

Hello friends of BMW,
I have a 435ix I beemer coded this on my car when it never did. I had all the functions on the driver side switch. Does anyone know on a 2018 X2 f39 with all the heated seats, memory seats, m sport package, but no switch on the driver side window switch, be able to just beemer code the folding windows? I just bought this car for my wife, and I’d love to fold mirrors in to prevent damage into the garage where I rent at.
I appreciate all your help.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 01:24 PM   #18
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep

If u don’t have the folding mirror switch on driver side then u don’t have motorized folding mirrors. First install them then u can do it.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2022, 04:23 AM   #19
arsenal6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 428xi

Garage List
2015 bmw 428xi  [0.00]
Are all of these interchangeable? Or is it better to take it off a similar vehicle
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 07:59 AM   #20
uali23
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:

I just wanna ask. Does the f32 mirror mounting points fit the f30?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 02:21 AM   #21
arsenal6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 428xi

Garage List
2015 bmw 428xi  [0.00]
Quote:

Could you let me know what your options list looks like?
If I don't have to do the wiring, it be godsend. I am looking to do this retrofit sometime next year.
Appreciate 0