F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Advocare finally outed for what it is - a pyramid scheme!
Studio RSR

10-02-2019, 10:49 PM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Arrow Advocare finally outed for what it is - a pyramid scheme!

I honestly can not believe it has taken over 2 Decades for the FTC to finally call it what everyone on EARTH by now knows it was and still is:

A Fucking PYRAMID SCHEME!

Surely you or someone you know/knew, has either attempted to sell or sold you some of these products? Or maybe you were a "Distributor"?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/advocar...yramid-scheme/

Quote:
AdvoCare International, a multi-level marketing company known for endorsements by professional athletes and other celebrities, will pay $150 million to settle government claims it's an illegal pyramid scheme where most of those selling its products earned nothing or lost money.

The Plano, Texas-based provider of diet supplements and energy drinks offered consumers the chance to "earn unlimited income, attain financial freedom, and quit their regular job," according to the Federal Trade Commission. But the agency contends AdvoCare pressured sellers to bring in new distributors to purchase large amounts of the supplement products.

Those new recruits were charged $59 to become AdvoCare distributors, at which point they could potentially earn more if they became "advisers" by spending $1,200 to $2,400 on its products, the FTC said. But an adviser's income depended on how many recruits purchased AdvoCare products.
Trending News

The U.S. economy's hidden problem: Men without jobs
Words with Friends game hacked, exposing 200 million players
U.S. Agriculture Secretary: Family farms might not survive
3 reasons Forever 21 went bankrupt

Legitimate businesses make money by selling products and services, but it's an illegal pyramid when it "depends on recruitments to pay out" and involves overblown income claims, Andrew Smith, the FTC's consumer protection bureau director, said in a news conference.

"The defendants promoted AdvoCare as a life-saving opportunity, yet more than 90% of its distributors in the U.S. earned less than $250 a year," he said.

AdvoCare denies it is a pyramid scheme.

"We strongly disagree with the FTC allegations, but we are committed to abiding by this agreement and moving forward. The strength of AdvoCare is and always has been our highly-valued health and wellness products, which remain in great demand by our hundreds of thousands of loyal customers," AdvoCare CEO Patrick Wright said in a statement. "We will continue to stand behind our distributors, employees and customers and to uphold our values of integrity and transparency, as we have for over 25 years."

AdvoCare is known for its dozens of pro sports endorsers. They include New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees, the company's national spokesperson; Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes; and Becky Sauerbrunn, a defender on the U.S. women's national soccer team.

Under a settlement with the FTC, AdvoCare is permanently banned from multi-level marketing. The agency also said the company would return some money to distributors. In addition to AdvoCare, the FTC complaint names former CEO Brian Connolly and four individual distributors.

The FTC order does not put AdvoCare out of business, said Smith, who noted that the company can continue to sell its products to one level of distributors, who then would sell to consumers.

The company in May said it would change its operating model following "confidential talks" with the agency. AdvoCare said it had informed its more than 100,000 distributors that it was shelving the multi-level marketing model and would start paying based on actual sales.

The settlement contains echoes of one reached by the FTC three years ago with Herbalife, which paid $200 million to settle claims it misled buyers and sellers of its nutritional supplements. In that agreement, the FTC stopped short of calling the business a pyramid scheme.

Smith urged consumers considering a multi-level marketing pitch to look for signs of an illegal pyramid scheme, including:

* Would your compensation depend on your recruitment of others?

* Are you required to purchase specific amounts of product to stay eligible for compensation?
* Beware of unbelievable earnings or lifestyle claims.
      10-03-2019, 07:13 AM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Amazing how the likes Amway and Avon have been able to survive. *shrug*.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13610.00
      10-05-2019, 09:38 PM   #3
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 10:10 PM   #4
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Amazing how the likes Amway and Avon have been able to survive. *shrug*.
I don't support either, but there's a very fine line between a pyramid scheme and a mlm scheme
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3524.50
      10-06-2019, 04:42 PM   #5
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

I had guy at gym approach me he was trying to sell me some of this shit I told him to get lost.
6'3'' 200lb of pure muscle here don't need none of that shit

glad they got exposed
      10-07-2019, 12:53 PM   #6
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

"It's a TRAPEZOID, not a pyramid!!!!"

My dad's older sister has been doing Amway for forever. She hasn't "paid" for a plane ticket anywhere since she got started back in 1900 and 50 or 60 something.

For the record, Amway made THE BEST chrome cleaner.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 04:33 AM   #7
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Just another day in the neighborhood where people are brainwashed that they will earn their financial freedom and be able to own their dream home.
Whatever happened to: work hard (2 jobs), save honest hard-earned money and open-up a lucrative business or invest in S&P?
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614808.50