F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BimmerTech CarPlay MMI - Unboxing and Installation
ARMA SPEED

11-04-2018, 03:05 PM   #67
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
I just ordered THIS guy (PX6 8.1 version)...

Oh wow that looks/sounds nice. Please post a review once installed!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 05:38 PM   #68
emulajavi
First Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: MINI JCW F56

Hi Patrys.

Will you be releasing soon wireless CarPlay Hardware? I think that would be the complete deal breaker.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 12:32 PM   #69
grahamrb
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 1-series m-sport 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
No, we are working on the full screen option and a few other features, but not planning a wireless version at the moment.
Any news on the beta firmware update?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 12:39 PM   #70
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
I hate saying “next week” but we’re definitely working on an upgrade...
I’ll post an update once I have something specific to announce.
what is the most current version of the wide release firmware? where can I get the update? I have 0.5.

also, how do you adjust the volume level phone calls and navigation prompts. in oem implementation, you can use car volume knob to make relative adjustments to phone calls. as it is now, my phone calls are too low, my nav prompts are too loud, and the music, well, you know the story with my current sound quality.

Last edited by lemonchicken; 11-07-2018 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 03:58 AM   #71
patelc
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435i M Sport

Really want this update to come soon!
Also, where do you download get the update from? And any instructions on how to do it?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 02:52 AM   #72
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I'd also like to know if the volume is separately adjusted by navigation voice, music/entertainment, and phone calls. In BMW's OEM CarPlay (like someone already said), all three volumes are adjusted separately and stored in memory separately even though they're all coming from the iPhone. For example, when Google Maps voices a direction and you adjust the volume, this only adjusts the navigation voice volume and doesn't affect the music. When you adjust volume while music is playing, it only affects music volume and navigation volume remains constant.

This, I thought, was very cool and would love to know if that's how it behaves in Bimmertech's implementation. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 12:54 AM   #73
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
I'd also like to know if the volume is separately adjusted by navigation voice, music/entertainment, and phone calls. In BMW's OEM CarPlay (like someone already said), all three volumes are adjusted separately and stored in memory separately even though they're all coming from the iPhone. For example, when Google Maps voices a direction and you adjust the volume, this only adjusts the navigation voice volume and doesn't affect the music. When you adjust volume while music is playing, it only affects music volume and navigation volume remains constant.

This, I thought, was very cool and would love to know if that's how it behaves in Bimmertech's implementation. Thanks!
Good luck finding out. I haven’t been able to.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 12:59 AM   #74
grahamrb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post

I'm reasonably sure this is not the case. For me I need to turn the volume up a little when I make/receive calls (not excessively though).
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2018, 04:47 PM   #75
Johnny250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon

Any tips on how to get the headunit back in? I relocated the box to the open space by going through the glovebox, but all the wiring that’s left behind the headunit still won’t let me put the headunit back. Any tips would be appreciated.. again, I already moved the box so that it’s not in the space behind the headunit

EBII F31 328d Build Here
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 11:21 PM   #76
grahamrb
Private
Rep

I found you have to push the cabling back and downwards to get it to go back in properly.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 10:20 AM   #77
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

Patrys@BimmerTech Any word with the software update?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 02:00 PM   #78
spaceoddity
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Entirely too white 2013 320i

I am tempted by this and the black friday offer.

I'm really interested in the reverse cam, but it seems a little cheap at $300 additional cost. Does anyone know if I could hook up any cam to the Carplay MMI, or is there something special about the Bimmertech one?

Otherwise I'd probably look at wiring in something like this and save a lot of money.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 07:17 PM   #79
Chris_ks
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 lci

I have ordered the MMI for my F20 lci and because I already have an after market camera i asked them if I can fit my camera normally and they answered me that I can use my other camera.. So yes you can..

One quick question, could anyone post a picture of the “labels” with the wiring which has the yellow rca for camera because at the unboxing photos they are all together and it doesn’t seem anything..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 03:23 AM   #80
spaceoddity
Netherlands
Rep

Thanks, that sounds promising. Im still doubting between this and one of the Android units, but from all threads I read here they seem buggy and problematic with CarPlay dongle being buggy, having to rewire GPS, etc. I've never done anything like this before, so I like that the Bimmertech seems to be solid and well supported.

Downside is that I'll be stuck with the little 6"5 screen I have (or whatever size it is) but it's also the most OEM looking, so dunno. Still in two minds!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 06:45 AM   #81
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

Yes that’s exactly my first thought, I choosed and fit an Android unit but really sucks.. I put it off and took it back at the local company here which I had bought it from and that’s why now i immediately order BimmerTech MMI and before ordering I just asked the some question to be sure and their answers was fast!

The bad thing is that I paid technician to fit the previous unit and then to remove it so I lost the money but at least I will have the refund of the Android unit..

As I have read BimmerTech is the most oem solution and CarPlay uses just the 6.5” of our screen so we will have full screen and nothing less from the bigger one..

I put my Oem 6.5” screen next to 10.25” Android and the quality on the android one is crap although it should be HD it’s like you can “see” the pixels if you know what I mean.. hope I helped you..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #82
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_ks View Post
Yes that’s exactly my first thought, I choosed and fit an Android unit but really sucks.. I put it off and took it back at the local company here which I had bought it from and that’s why now i immediately order BimmerTech MMI and before ordering I just asked the some question to be sure and their answers was fast!

The bad thing is that I paid technician to fit the previous unit and then to remove it so I lost the money but at least I will have the refund of the Android unit..

As I have read BimmerTech is the most oem solution and CarPlay uses just the 6.5” of our screen so we will have full screen and nothing less from the bigger one..

I put my Oem 6.5” screen next to 10.25” Android and the quality on the android one is crap although it should be HD it’s like you can “see” the pixels if you know what I mean.. hope I helped you..

I don't have this issue...my screens output is quite good

CarPlay is "hit or miss"...

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 01:12 PM   #83
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

I didn’t mean that you can really see the pixels, I don’t know how exactly to explain it but the screen was like an iPhone 8(oem one) next to iphone 3gs (the android one).. Even the colours in oem is deep orange and on the other side android was too pure and “yelowish”..

And this is just one of the many(bad sound, slow speed etc)
I just removed it immediately and I ordered the MMI which now I am ready to fit myself 😬 (If anyone have the photo i asked for above please post it because I would like to fit the camera wiring before the MMI comes, if no one post it I will send to BimmerTech to send me one if possible)
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 01:20 PM   #84
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

I mean a near-zoomed in photo of this cables so I can see the labels on them..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 10:43 AM   #85
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
I don't have this issue...my screens output is quite good

CarPlay is "hit or miss"...

Are you referring to CarPlay MMI?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 12:21 PM   #86
spaceoddity
Netherlands
Rep

One more question. Does adding a camera to this require coding? And how will the PDC work along with this Carplay MMI?

If anyone knows

Still haven't decided, but I guess I'll have to make up my mind soon!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 03:55 PM   #87
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

No, no need for coding, I asked them and in any mode, I-drive or CarPlay when you are using reverse it goes instantly in reverse camera mode..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 05:05 PM   #88
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues View Post
Are you referring to CarPlay MMI?

No, was replying to a few posts up #90 (see post #91) .. ^^^

My Build Thread can be found HERE