F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Advice on replacing 'poverty' buttons with the real thing
GetBMWParts

11-20-2023, 08:46 PM   #1
smojo
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i GT xDrive

Advice on replacing 'poverty' buttons with the real thing

Most of us didn’t get an F34 with every option from the factory, leaving us with those blank buttons, or poverty buttons, staring back at us every day. BMW does a good job of hiding missing buttons with trim pieces that make it less obvious that we’re missing options.

The headlight switch has one blank button under the fog light button. And maybe another blank space next to the instrument lighting dimmer dial - can the F34 use a headlight switch with a headlamp range control dial?

Under the headlight switch is a row of buttons, mine has 3 but I think it goes up to 5. What are the 5 buttons available there?

There are probably some more around the gear selector, does anyone know what buttons are possible there?

I just installed a rear fog light button and coded it, it couldn’t have been easier so now I’m looking to do more.

Is there any relatively easy way to retrofit other features or options that an F34 might be missing?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 09:23 PM   #2
Oksamit78
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, F30 & F34

Quote:
Originally Posted by smojo View Post
The headlight switch has one blank button under the fog light button. And maybe another blank space next to the instrument lighting dimmer dial - can the F34 use a headlight switch with a headlamp range control dial?
1. Yeap, the blank below is for rear fog lights. None of US spec cars have it as stock - option not available here. Furthermore, there is no backlight LED on the PC board to light up the button if you to put one in (sold on Ali). The other way - complete switch from Europe through eBay. In either way, you will need to code this function using Bimmercode. A lot of people have done it. I have and I also install LEDs on the boards.
2. The blank space next to dimming rotary switch is for headlight levelling rotary slider. US spec cars actually come with vertical adjustment being automatic. No point attempting to have this function in your car.

Quote:
Under the headlight switch is a row of buttons, mine has 3 but I think it goes up to 5. What are the 5 buttons available there?
Mine also has 3 out of 5 buttons present. Blind spot monitoring, lane keep assist, and emergency front collision alert. I've never seen all 5 buttons with F3x cars, have seen in 5 series only. Wonder if anyone can share the image?

Quote:
There are probably some more around the gear selector, does anyone know what buttons are possible there?
Additional buttons there are for turning on/off the front side Park Assistant ultrasonic sensors (located next to side view parking cameras in the front bumper cover) and button for the the top view cameras. Top view cameras are located in each outside mirror and are facing down. These work together with rear view camera to produce top view of area to the left, right and back of the car.

Here are the options for center console buttons:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_2818

F8Xs also have the DIFF button in the same cluster there:

Quote:
I just installed a rear fog light button and coded it, it couldn’t have been easier so now I’m looking to do more.

Like I said, you need to have LED installed to make it look 100% stock:

Quote:
Is there any relatively easy way to retrofit other features or options that an F34 might be missing?
There is always a way. Not always the easy one.

For example, I'm looking into wiring the stealth tow bar into my F34 so that I have all the Euro spec features (camera zoom on the ball, turn off the rear PDC when the trailer is plugged in, etc).

Here is the link to official list of F34 retrofits:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...MW-340iX&mg=03
2017 F34 340i XDrive w/ M Sport Pack, Azure II /Black, B58B30M0, Dinan Stage 1

Last edited by Oksamit78; 11-21-2023 at 07:18 AM..
Appreciate 2
KCee41.00
smojo6.00