F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Which car play do I get?
Studio RSR

04-25-2020, 09:01 AM   #67
anikation
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb21 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabloxxi View Post
I have a model 2014, but built in South Africa in December/2013. I t is the small display and no navigation.
I'm very curious how this history ended.
Maybe the person starting this thread gave up on this mod.
I did not give up on the mod quite yet. I am still in the process of researching and figuring out what the heck to do, here is what I learned, all the f30 screens i have seen, 6.5 and 8.8in have a 6 pin input. they dont have the conventional cic 4 pin lvds input. I have been in contact with the carlinkit and carplay box manufacturers, but due to the current pandemic trying to get anything or any support has been harder than usual. on the e90 bmw with cic, the screen had a simple 4 pin lvds in which made sense since the carlinkit cic box also has a 4 pin lvds patch cable. then issues lies here, on cic high, my car's headunit runs cic software. uses cic combox and telematics. and it even uses the kcan1 cic controler, and the lvds on the headunit has a cic 4 pin out with an additional 2 pin out meanwhile on nbt there is a single 6 pin out on the headunit and a 4 pin in on the monitor. so in theory the cic box i currently have should work with my car, but no. it leaves me on no signal, although idrive has no issues passing through the screen, meaning that the carplay box is having issues displaying its own system but no issues just passing through idrive. So in theory an nbt carplay box should work with the car as I can simply connect the box directly to the monitor and use the 6 pin lvds coming from the headunits cable to the box. the issue is that the nbt box connects to the vehicles quadlock connector, not the idrive controller like my current system, potentialy creating an issue with compatability. that i do not know. I am hoping there is some sort of mod or change i can make to my cic box to work with my car since i don't want to spend an additional 500$ to answer the "if it works" question quite yet. this would be simple if we had a e90 cic system or a newer f30 nbt system, but cic-high is a different beast. I wish i had a definitive answer to give you, but at the moment I am just going to wait until I get my hands on an NBT box, and I don't know how soon that will be.
I'm running into the exactly same issue as you. I ordered the CIC option from Andream/Wakaa but same results. My screen has a 6 pin connect and the unit has a 4 pin and a separate 2 pin connect for power. I was hoping the NBT option would be a solution for us, please keep us posted on your results! Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 12:10 PM   #68
kevinb21
as long as it runs :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i/ e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by anikation View Post
I'm running into the exactly same issue as you. I ordered the CIC option from Andream/Wakaa but same results. My screen has a 6 pin connect and the unit has a 4 pin and a separate 2 pin connect for power. I was hoping the NBT option would be a solution for us, please keep us posted on your results! Good luck!
well I am currently in contact with different sellers to see which one supplies the harness, but based on this I am almost sure that NBT will work on our cars, given the quad lock patch harness has a separate aux. Here is the listing i found for an NBT unit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-25-2020, 03:01 PM   #69
anikation
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
well I am currently in contact with different sellers to see which one supplies the harness, but based on this I am almost sure that NBT will work on our cars, given the quad lock patch harness has a separate aux. Here is the listing i found for an NBT unit.
Do you have a link for that listing?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 09:30 PM   #70
kevinb21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you have a link for that listing?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carlinkit-E...wAAOSwChteHCbV

scroll down for the part with the pics.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 12:45 PM   #71
mineral_f30
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 335i, '18 X3 M40i

Any updates? I guess it will take some time for the unit to arrive from China.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 06:35 PM   #72
jkwhar
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Xdrive | F15 x35i

Quote:
What about the other issue with NBT using KCAN2 bus for the controller while CIC uses KCAN1 bus which is whats needs to trigger the switch between carplay and idrive.

As you probably can tell already, I'm on the same boat. Heres my theory/what I know. I mapped the wiring/pin for the carplay LVDS/FAKRA cable. 2 wires are direct from "to oem monitor" to "To radio" FAKRA cable. the other 2 wires are interrupted via the carplay box. CIC seems to use 2 wire for data and 2 wires for power. What I'm not sure is on the NBT, if they use all 4 wires for data or just 2 wires for data and 2 external wires for power.

On the diagram below, which should be for NBT, you can see the two power wires (red/yl and brown) and it shows 4 wires for data of some sort.

I cant seem to find a diagram fro CIC 4pin.

EDIT:
I dug around TIS and used late e90 which uses CIC and found the 4pin FAKRA. So it looks like NBT uses APIX which does use all 4 wires for data and CIC uses 2 wires for data.

So final thought, I dont think this will work.

FOR SALE! Sport line Steering wheel with heated, paddle shifter, vibration motor, no airbag | EDM Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights (SOLD) | surround view retrofit kit (sold) | KAFAS2 camera and ECU | FLA camera(sold) | 6WB cluster (SOLD)

Last edited by jkwhar; 06-27-2020 at 09:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 10:49 AM   #73
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

Update, Wakaa customer service got back to me and said...

Quote:
We have encountered situations like yours, you are not alone.
After our testing and customer feedback, you can purchase an NBT system. It is fully compatible.

FOR SALE! Sport line Steering wheel with heated, paddle shifter, vibration motor, no airbag | EDM Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights (SOLD) | surround view retrofit kit (sold) | KAFAS2 camera and ECU | FLA camera(sold) | 6WB cluster (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
haagm58809.50
      07-02-2020, 04:09 PM   #74
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

Alrighty, so an update. I have an f30 MY 4/2013 with CIC but with 6pin display(cic high?).
As per my previous post, cic version didnt work and its because of what I mentioned earlier, LVDS vs APIX protocol.

I just installed the NBT version (Road top brand, purchased from amazon) and it works! Main harness comes with the 3.5mm audio jack for the aux input.

Appreciate 2
paulbr0.00
aps334.00
      07-04-2020, 06:21 AM   #75
paulbr
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwhar View Post
Alrighty, so an update. I have an f30 MY 4/2013 with CIC but with 6pin display(cic high?).
As per my previous post, cic version didnt work and its because of what I mentioned earlier, LVDS vs APIX protocol.

I just installed the NBT version (Road top brand, purchased from amazon) and it works! Main harness comes with the 3.5mm audio jack for the aux input.
I am in a similar situation and in search for a Carplay solution - have a F20 m135i with CIC professional navi & NBT display.

Great to read that jkwhar seems to have resolved the mystery! @jkwhar and others in this thread, your perseverance on this topic is much appreciated.

What is your experience so far with the Road Top NBT box in your CIC-equipped F30?

I.e. stability of Carplay, how is audio quality, do OEM features integrate well (reverse camera, Bluetooth phone, mic), etc?

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 07:34 PM   #76
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbr View Post
I am in a similar situation and in search for a Carplay solution - have a F20 m135i with CIC professional navi & NBT display.

Great to read that jkwhar seems to have resolved the mystery! @jkwhar and others in this thread, your perseverance on this topic is much appreciated.

What is your experience so far with the Road Top NBT box in your CIC-equipped F30?

I.e. stability of Carplay, how is audio quality, do OEM features integrate well (reverse camera, Bluetooth phone, mic), etc?

Many thanks
Its been working great! I have the surround view one thing I was wondering was the idrive controller working when it switches to the oem idrive and it does.

There is a bit of lag here and there when using the idrive controller in apple carplay but not enough where its annoying (to me at least). I bought this unit mainly because it was on amazon with free return so worst case scenario, i just return it lol.

Audio quality is solid as well. I have integral audio upgrade on my f30. At first, I had an issue with nav announcement (Apple maps, google maps, etc) was too loud but figured out theres a setting for that specifically in the MMI settings.

I had another unit I bought off a member on here that was for CIC and noticed it had an aftermarket mic. The roadtop unit Tees off the factory mic so the car's bluetooth still works. During incoming calls, don't use the steering button, I think it was the phone button but can't remember) to pick up your calls as it will hang up. other than that...its seamless.

I like it enough that I'm planning on buying another one for my f15 x5.

If theres any other question, feel free to ask!

Appreciate 1
aps334.00
      07-06-2020, 02:54 AM   #77
paulbr
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbr View Post

Many thanks
Its been working great! I have the surround view one thing I was wondering was the idrive controller working when it switches to the oem idrive and it does.

There is a bit of lag here and there when using the idrive controller in apple carplay but not enough where its annoying (to me at least). I bought this unit mainly because it was on amazon with free return so worst case scenario, i just return it lol.

Audio quality is solid as well. I have integral audio upgrade on my f30. At first, I had an issue with nav announcement (Apple maps, google maps, etc) was too loud but figured out theres a setting for that specifically in the MMI settings.

I had another unit I bought off a member on here that was for CIC and noticed it had an aftermarket mic. The roadtop unit Tees off the factory mic so the car's bluetooth still works. During incoming calls, don't use the steering button, I think it was the phone button but can't remember) to pick up your calls as it will hang up. other than that...its seamless.

Thanks, this is very helpful - am going to have a look at Amazon :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 02:06 AM   #78
kevinb21
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Finally, I am glad someone got this to work. I ended up ordering a carplay box from ebay for nbt, and while everything worked well because it had the integrated Aux through the quadlock. no audio. Needless to say it was annoying as the seller told me it had an external audio out, I think i will give the Road Top unit a go, is this the one you got?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084M1M4P9...4191853&sr=8-2
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 12:21 AM   #79
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Finally, I am glad someone got this to work. I ended up ordering a carplay box from ebay for nbt, and while everything worked well because it had the integrated Aux through the quadlock. no audio. Needless to say it was annoying as the seller told me it had an external audio out, I think i will give the Road Top unit a go, is this the one you got?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084M1M4P9...4191853&sr=8-2
Thats the one!

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 11:17 PM   #80
Fishie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 32ix

Quote:

You're in a F30/ 328 2013 correct? I just installed my MMI the other day. I had to use RCA to AUX and I plugged that into the arm rest aux port to get audio. For microphone I had to install a external mic and mount it in the car (which is not ideal).

Other people with my MMI unit don't need the AUX/external mic but I need it because of the CIC/NBT mix in my car (I think that's the reason at least).

How were you able to use the default microphone? Did you do anything specific? The MMI that I have is meant to work with it but it won't, I'm not really sure what else I can try to get it to work with the original mic (I'd rather not connect my phone to idrive via Bluetooth as that screws with a few things)

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 12:07 AM   #81
mineral_f30
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 335i, '18 X3 M40i

Does Road Top include an external mic? If not, which one did you get?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 08:30 AM   #82
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie View Post
You're in a F30/ 328 2013 correct? I just installed my MMI the other day. I had to use RCA to AUX and I plugged that into the arm rest aux port to get audio. For microphone I had to install a external mic and mount it in the car (which is not ideal).

Other people with my MMI unit don't need the AUX/external mic but I need it because of the CIC/NBT mix in my car (I think that's the reason at least).

How were you able to use the default microphone? Did you do anything specific? The MMI that I have is meant to work with it but it won't, I'm not really sure what else I can try to get it to work with the original mic (I'd rather not connect my phone to idrive via Bluetooth as that screws with a few things)

Any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineral_f30 View Post
Does Road Top include an external mic? If not, which one did you get?
Roadtop gives you a splitter/tap that taps into your factory mic. It keeps OEM function and also uses it for the Carplay.

Appreciate 1
Fishie10.50
      07-12-2020, 11:35 AM   #83
Fishie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Roadtop gives you a splitter/tap that taps into your factory mic. It keeps OEM function and also uses it for the Carplay.

Thank you so much! I will message them to see if I can buy the tap individually as mine did not come with it.

What is on the other end of the tap? I know that with the picture you just sent, on that end of the cord it gets plugged into the OEM mic and the OEM mic cable, but what's on the other end, is it a 3.5mm plug?

Last edited by Fishie; 07-12-2020 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 12:39 PM   #84
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thank you so much! I will message them to see if I can buy the tap individually as mine did not come with it.

What is on the other end of the tap? I know that with the picture you just sent, on that end of the cord it gets plugged into the OEM mic and the OEM mic cable, but what's on the other end, is it a 3.5mm plug?
I doubt they sell the separately but doesnt hurt to ask! Oddly, I cant remember the plug end lol. It was almost 100f so I did a fast install without thinking much.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 05:10 AM   #85
FransL
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:

Hi Fashie, wondering if you could order the tap because i need one as well.
Can you please share info on where to order?

Many thnx, Frans
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 10:29 PM   #86
Fishie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FransL View Post
Hi Fashie, wondering if you could order the tap because i need one as well.
Can you please share info on where to order?

Many thnx, Frans
I was not able to get the tap individually without the unit. I ordered a 2 core microphone to try out, it will get delivered tomorrow. I tried both three and four but they do not work (volume is REALLY low and staticky) seller told me to get a two core mic.

If the mic works, great. If not I can either return the unit, get the seller to send me a mic (he offered me one but I said I’ll use amazon as it’s 100x faster), or order the roadtop unit which comes with a tap.

Will hopefully have more info tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 07:37 AM   #87
FransL
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
I was not able to get the tap individually without the unit. I ordered a 2 core microphone to try out, it will get delivered tomorrow. I tried both three and four but they do not work (volume is REALLY low and staticky) seller told me to get a two core mic.

If the mic works, great. If not I can either return the unit, get the seller to send me a mic (he offered me one but I said I’ll use amazon as it’s 100x faster), or order the roadtop unit which comes with a tap.

Will hopefully have more info tomorrow
Hope that works.

Strangely enough sometime Siri works in my car. I can not make out why and which settings are being used when it works. I do have bluetooth connected to CIC-HIGH to be able to make phone calls. For podcasts audio I do need aux but not always. Very confusing.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 09:39 AM   #88
Fishie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FransL View Post
Hope that works.

Strangely enough sometime Siri works in my car. I can not make out why and which settings are being used when it works. I do have bluetooth connected to CIC-HIGH to be able to make phone calls. For podcasts audio I do need aux but not always. Very confusing.
That happened to me before, my phones microphone was picking up my voice instead of my car. In the end, the goal is to not be connected to idrive (original car Bluetooth), but some people here make it work by using both (idrive & carplay at the same time)

edit: Just got delivered, the two core mic is for sure better than the previous two that I tried. It is still shit though. The other person can hear me, but if they were at a restaurant with some background noise I don't think they would be able to hear me.

I think my only option now is to try out a mic tap.

I did connect my phone to the drive Bluetooth and calls work, I can't use the steering wheel controls if I do this because carplay and idrive fight with each other.

Last edited by Fishie; 07-18-2020 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 0