F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Catless vs HFC for N55?
Studio RSR

11-26-2018, 01:05 PM   #1
allblackcoupe
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive Coupe

Catless vs HFC for N55?

Is there a big difference between HFC and catless on a n55? Catless is like half the price so I’m leaning towards there. And does anyone know how to remove CEL after installing a catless? Does a HFC cause CEL?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by allblackcoupe View Post
Is there a big difference between HFC and catless on a n55? Catless is like half the price so I'm leaning towards there. And does anyone know how to remove CEL after installing a catless? Does a HFC cause CEL?
Catless will usually let more airflow as it's 100% unrestricted. HFC would be to pass emissions and as far as CELs, you'd want to pair a tune with any cat modification as it's kinda pointless without and the car will just throw a CEL. A tune can also code out the CEL.

Edit: as far as I know, a HFC doesn't 100% guarantee to not throw a CEL as it doesn't clean the air as good as stock cats, but I know they don't usually give you any problems.

Honestly if you don't have to do a sniffer test for state inspections, just go catless as it's cheaper and can give more sound and power.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #3
allblackcoupe
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
Catless will usually let more airflow as it's 100% unrestricted. HFC would be to pass emissions and as far as CELs, you'd want to pair a tune with any cat modification as it's kinda pointless without and the car will just throw a CEL. A tune can also code out the CEL.

Edit: as far as I know, a HFC doesn't 100% guarantee to not throw a CEL as it doesn't clean the air as good as stock cats, but I know they don't usually give you any problems.

Honestly if you don't have to do a sniffer test for state inspections, just go catless as it's cheaper and can give more sound and power.
I appreciate the feedback. Will a catless add any hp/torque without a tune?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 02:55 PM   #4
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by allblackcoupe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post

I appreciate the feedback. Will a catless add any hp/torque without a tune?
I'm not 100% on this but I believe if anything it'll be a negative since the ECU won't know how to correct for the bad O2 readings it defaults to a richer mixture and you get worse fuel mileage and worse performance. There's no point in going catless if you don't plan on tuning.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 05:39 PM   #5
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Yes it will increase flow and even without a tune, you'll notice a bump in performance. Meaning the turbo will spool quicker and throttle response will also increase. Actual HP increase I'm not 100% sure of though
Appreciate 1