F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > VTT Crank Seal Guard
ARMA SPEED

12-13-2021, 12:59 AM   #1
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

VTT Crank Seal Guard

Hey All,

I just installed the VTT Crank Seal Guard. interested to see if anyone else has used this?

I found it is not a very good fit and flexes out near the top. this then causes a noise when the car is on.

Wondering if anyone else has had the same issue? And does anyone have any recommendations on which one would be best to get? The Kies motorsport one does look pretty good. I will be using it with the VTT crank bolt capture.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 05:03 AM   #2
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Worked it out. Install error by me, needed to push it flush to the engine better, must have backed out a bit when I did it last time

All sorted now
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2021, 12:13 AM   #3
Salty B.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6MT MSport

Garage List
Good to know, mine has been sitting on my kitchen table for about six months...
      12-16-2021, 03:11 AM   #4
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Badger View Post
Good to know, mine has been sitting on my kitchen table for about six months...
My observations for your install.

I did it from the top, there is no need to go via the bottom.

I highly recommend removing the radiator fan. Was so simple, 2 screws, one power plug and one locking tab. Took 5 mins the first time I did it.

Rest was super simple, I do recommend a friend when you are putting the crank back on, as trying to keep placed properly is an art.

I reckon I can do it in under 20 mins now...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 06:26 AM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobz_au View Post
Hey All,

I just installed the VTT Crank Seal Guard. interested to see if anyone else has used this?

I found it is not a very good fit and flexes out near the top. this then causes a noise when the car is on.

Wondering if anyone else has had the same issue? And does anyone have any recommendations on which one would be best to get? The Kies motorsport one does look pretty good. I will be using it with the VTT crank bolt capture.
Kies has a much better product called a Kies Bolt Lock. It has superior engineering and uses only the best materials.

One really smart Kies feature is it has an actual bolt shape on its outer surface so you can still hand turn the crank at any time without having to remove everything and deinstall it from the engine.

When steel bolts are used with an aluminum part, a washer is required to spread the force out so that the steel bolt head doesn't dig into the softer aluminum.

Keeping tiny washers on each bolt is a pain to deal with while working in an awkward position trying to find the hole, hand tighten and torque each bolt. Instead Kies has engineered a superior solution. Rather than 6 or 8 tiny washers Kies uses a large central washer to apply consistent pressure across the face of the Bolt Lock that's attached to the crankshaft. It is so much easier to install while in an awkward position and it does a much better job.

Kies didn't cheap out. They use the correct materials for a moist outdoor engine environment. Stainless steel and zinc coated steel are expensive, but they are engineered to provide proper corrosion protection.

The other product on the market uses black oxide bolts and washers. Black oxide is a cheap coating that's used to make steel parts black. But it's not meant to provide any corrosion protection. Black oxide is specifically meant for dry environments, not an outdoor moist open air engine environment! Remember high school science class. Iron oxide is rust. Black oxide is basically black rust. I'd never use black oxide bolts and washers on my expensive BMW engine.

Another great unique product from Kies! Comes in blue and a stealthy black. And for 6-bolt and 8-bolt cranks. Check it out!

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...9554517?aff=22
Attached Images

Appreciate 0