F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MPE or AA axelback
Extreme Powerhouse

07-20-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

MPE or AA axelback

Not looking to go crazy loud or have any drone but after reading so many on the forum regarding the MPE not being what they imagined i need some feedback. Preferably from those that had the MPE and upgraded to something else or those that have the AA axelback exhaust!

Any help is appreciated since its hard to gauge how something will sound just from videos online.
      07-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #2
sukhparm.7
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
Not looking to go crazy loud or have any drone but after reading so many on the forum regarding the MPE not being what they imagined i need some feedback. Preferably from those that had the MPE and upgraded to something else or those that have the AA axelback exhaust!

Any help is appreciated since its hard to gauge how something will sound just from videos online.
I have MPE and I love it.
Louder than stock but not crazy, i think you get about 20-25% volume increase.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 12:15 PM   #3
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:

I have AA axleback on my F31 for couple years now. Sounds good, no drone. Both will get louder after several hundred miles. I believe the AA is cheaper than MPE.
      07-24-2018, 07:34 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

We offer both, i like AA better... Sounds even better with catless downpipe

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2018, 09:16 AM   #5
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep
Drives: 335

MPEs valve makes it a winner. You get the best of both worlds. Sure you cant control it 100%, but when you want loudness just keep it in sport/+. When you're on the highway keep it in comfort.
      07-25-2018, 09:40 AM   #6
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
We offer both, i like AA better... Sounds even better with catless downpipe
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryo91 View Post
MPEs valve makes it a winner. You get the best of both worlds. Sure you cant control it 100%, but when you want loudness just keep it in sport/+. When you're on the highway keep it in comfort.
Doesn't the AA exhaust still utilize the OEM valve controller?

EDIT:
NVM, guess i totally missed the part where you no longer use the valve. Im mostly in comfort mode on my way to and from work and switch to Sport+ on the weekends so now im not sure about it being to loud. Especially since im getting a catless downpipe!

Last edited by Munchi435i; 07-25-2018 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 12:16 PM   #7
BetterLivingF30
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335 XDrive F30

I just went through this and ended up ordering the AA Exhaust. My initial thoughts were great quality but sound wise it was lacking for my personal taste. If I could do it all over again I would go with the MPE Exhaust, I had it on my previous BMW and loved it. The AA does have some minor drone at lower RPMs nothing you cant live with but it left me wanting more. If you are going to pair it with a DP it will probably sound amazing because I think it designed to be paired with a DP. The MPE has more of an exotic sound to it and basically zero drone and more burbles. I ended up taking the resonator off and it opens up the AA exhaust way more now where I think its comparable to the MPE. I don't think you can ever go wrong with the MPE just make sure its the part number #340. I just went through this last month and I would recommend MPE over AA. If you go AA it will leave you wanting more. If you remove the resonator it does sound pretty amazing now, when you get on the throttle and in sport mode more burbles ect I feel like with the resonator delete its how the exhaust should have sounded to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 03:25 PM   #8
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterLivingF30 View Post
I just went through this and ended up ordering the AA Exhaust. My initial thoughts were great quality but sound wise it was lacking for my personal taste. If I could do it all over again I would go with the MPE Exhaust, I had it on my previous BMW and loved it. The AA does have some minor drone at lower RPMs nothing you cant live with but it left me wanting more. If you are going to pair it with a DP it will probably sound amazing because I think it designed to be paired with a DP. The MPE has more of an exotic sound to it and basically zero drone and more burbles. I ended up taking the resonator off and it opens up the AA exhaust way more now where I think its comparable to the MPE. I don't think you can ever go wrong with the MPE just make sure its the part number #340. I just went through this last month and I would recommend MPE over AA. If you go AA it will leave you wanting more. If you remove the resonator it does sound pretty amazing now, when you get on the throttle and in sport mode more burbles ect I feel like with the resonator delete its how the exhaust should have sounded to begin with.
Appreciate the feedback and I'm most defiently getting a DP regardless if i choose MPE or AA. So with that being said i guess i'll have to check out some more video clips and go from there. There is just something about spending $650 for a used 30k mile MPE that doesn't make sense to me. When i could just buy a NEW AA exhaust for a few dollars more.
      07-25-2018, 06:56 PM   #9
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

i have MPE paired with catless and it the perfect combo of quiet on idle and cruising and sounds amazing on WOT and downshifts...

paired with the jb4, the exhaust sound is perfect for those who dont want to attract attention but will turn heads when you step on it.

and if you put in sport, the burbles are always fun too
      07-27-2018, 07:23 AM   #10
EssejM235
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine white m235i

Got my AA exhaust in the mail yesterday. Will likely install today if weather holds up and I'm able to get out of work early enough.

Granted this is for an m235i, it's essentially the same exhaust though. I was surprised to find out it actually has more of a midpipe section than what pictures show listed on AA website but overall quality wise, it is very nice.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 01:55 PM   #11
Bmwman325
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 MG CR 335 XI 6SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhparm.7 View Post
any drone at all?
      07-27-2018, 06:08 PM   #12
sukhparm.7
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwman325 View Post
Quote:
any drone at all?
None. At cruising speed, can't even tell that i got a different exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 08:24 AM   #13
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you have a upgraded DP? if so catted or catless?
      07-28-2018, 10:23 AM   #14
TK335iMSPT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335ixdrive M Sport

I have the Mperformance exhaust on my 335xi.
Pros-
OEM
Valved
Nice sound
Pretty quiet
Highway driving is bearable

Cons-
Cost
Does have the very slightest drone on the highway at the 2k rpm mark. (Audible only if radio is off really off)
I get a very slight resonance when idling (I am more sensitive to sound than some other people but it definitely there.
Might be too quiet (only hear the exhaust in sport, spirited driving, or if all the windows are down)
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 12:24 PM   #15
flsm235i
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2015 m235I rwd

Some might not have the issues I have had in my install with the 335i but, Needless to say, I am very displeased with the fit of the AA exhaust for my m235i.

I don't have pictures as I'm too angry to even get back under the car right now.

The passenger side exhaust hanger is a solid 2" too short for my car. So in order to level the exhaust I had to make my own bracket to bolt up to the short hanger and extend it to fit properly.

The welded side of the exhaust tip seems to be welded at too much of an angle too, with the short hanger it causes the exhaust to rub the black metal behind the bumper an not even fit into the diffuser.

Luckily my bracket I made fixed that problem but it shouldn't be an issue to start!

The driver side exhaust tip won't torque down fully so I will have to make a shim to put in to make it clamp down tight.

The provided exhaust clamps are really cheap crap. Just whatever they could find supplied cheapest I assume.

I ended up cutting my midpipe too short so I have a leak which sucks. I'm sure if the clamps they provided covered more of the surface area this wouldn't be a problem but since the clamps are so narrow it needs every bit of the 2 1/2" of exhaust to apparently create a seal.

My fuck up in cutting the midpipe short which I've already replaced with a Fabspeed midpipe and I'll likely just have a shop weld it all together an avoid the cut an clamp alternative.

CONCLUSION?

Order an MPE and don't even take the chance on ordering an AA. Odds are the fit is NOT 100% right with your AA because they are after all a "custom" part more than a stock replacement part in my book which leaves the door open for human error In the fabrication process.

Buy an MPE and don't second guess fit or sound. Stick with OEM. It will be a mistake I won't make again.

BM3 Tuned - VRSF Chargepipe pipe - CTS Turbo intake - VRSF intercooler - Wagner catted DP - Active autowerke exhaust -
Appreciate 1
perryo91372.50
      07-29-2018, 04:38 PM   #16
sukhparm.7
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Do you have a upgraded DP? if so catted or catless?
Everything else is stock. I heard it sounds awesome with catless DP
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 08:26 AM   #17
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK335iMSPT View Post
I have the Mperformance exhaust on my 335xi.
Pros-
OEM
Valved
Nice sound
Pretty quiet
Highway driving is bearable

Cons-
Cost
Does have the very slightest drone on the highway at the 2k rpm mark. (Audible only if radio is off really off)
I get a very slight resonance when idling (I am more sensitive to sound than some other people but it definitely there.
Might be too quiet (only hear the exhaust in sport, spirited driving, or if all the windows are down)
I mean I have an MPE and the resonator deleted. I dont think that's drone you're hearing thats just that the muffler is louder than stock. The only time I hear drone for sure is when I'm on the highway in 8th in sport mode with the valve open.

But even then with my resonator deleted and in comfort mode there's no drone on the highway.
      07-30-2018, 08:33 AM   #18
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flsm235i View Post
Some might not have the issues I have had in my install with the 335i but, Needless to say, I am very displeased with the fit of the AA exhaust for my m235i.

I don't have pictures as I'm too angry to even get back under the car right now.

The passenger side exhaust hanger is a solid 2" too short for my car. So in order to level the exhaust I had to make my own bracket to bolt up to the short hanger and extend it to fit properly.

The welded side of the exhaust tip seems to be welded at too much of an angle too, with the short hanger it causes the exhaust to rub the black metal behind the bumper an not even fit into the diffuser.

Luckily my bracket I made fixed that problem but it shouldn't be an issue to start!

The driver side exhaust tip won't torque down fully so I will have to make a shim to put in to make it clamp down tight.

The provided exhaust clamps are really cheap crap. Just whatever they could find supplied cheapest I assume.

I ended up cutting my midpipe too short so I have a leak which sucks. I'm sure if the clamps they provided covered more of the surface area this wouldn't be a problem but since the clamps are so narrow it needs every bit of the 2 1/2" of exhaust to apparently create a seal.

My fuck up in cutting the midpipe short which I've already replaced with a Fabspeed midpipe and I'll likely just have a shop weld it all together an avoid the cut an clamp alternative.

CONCLUSION?

Order an MPE and don't even take the chance on ordering an AA. Odds are the fit is NOT 100% right with your AA because they are after all a "custom" part more than a stock replacement part in my book which leaves the door open for human error In the fabrication process.

Buy an MPE and don't second guess fit or sound. Stick with OEM. It will be a mistake I won't make again.
100% agree, it's OEM, price is about the same if you get it used. It sounds great when the valve is open. Just have to know how to work the exhaust and rev it only when it's open or it'll sound kinda weak.

Cant wait until someone sells a cheaper way to control the valve.