F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Potentially High Coolant Temperature Problem?
ARMA SPEED

08-02-2018, 12:06 PM   #1
teapain
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i XDrive

Potentially High Coolant Temperature Problem?

Hey all

I came back from a spirited 30mile cruise (80-100mph) yesterday, parked and turned off the car for about 10-15mins before taking it back out again. But this time around, I barely went 40 feet before I noticed smoke bellowing out of my car.

It was coolant spilling out from the coolant reservoir bleeder screw which has snapped off. I also had a drivetrain malfunction error.

I just had my thermostat replaced and coolant flushed by a shop at 63k miles. I wondering if it's just bleeder screw or is it symptomatic of something bigger, like a bad thermostat or shitty coolant flush job--if that's possible?

Did the drivetrain malfunction error come on because of the higher coolant temp? Would the car have given an error that would specify that it's a high coolant temp issue?

I check to see if my fan is the culprit but it was running the moment I turned on the AC.

I'm about to drive down to LA from Seattle so want to make sure I'm in good shape to do this. Last time I drove down to SF from Seattle, my injectors ate shit but luckily I made it to SF before that happened.

Thanks ya'll