F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Fmic install
proTUNING Freaks

03-02-2018, 02:08 PM   #23
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435x MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphim38 View Post
anybody think it is possible to mount an aftermarket intercooler without voiding the factory BMW warranty? Or an aftermarket warranty/service contract?
Yes.

All you are doing is voiding the warranty on the intercooler.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act
      03-02-2018, 03:19 PM   #24
Ultimateone
OG E46Fanatic
Rep
Drives: 24 Champ White CTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by paimon.soror View Post
Yes.

All you are doing is voiding the warranty on the intercooler.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act
Unfortunately that doesn't always work and they can tell you to pound sand when you start modding.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 03:33 PM   #25
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435x MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimateone View Post
Unfortunately that doesn't always work and they can tell you to pound sand when you start modding.
truth, also equalliy important to find a good SA
badbread332.50
      03-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #26
Seraphim38
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Perf. & S1000RR

I personally believe that adding an aftermarket intercooler that adds more cooling to the intake charge actually will add longevity to the motor, because it makes it less likely to have to pull timing due to detonation/heat soak.

But I know manufacturers don't think that way.
Appreciate 2
badbread332.50
ceedawg467.50
      03-05-2018, 05:28 PM   #27
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphim38 View Post
I personally believe that adding an aftermarket intercooler that adds more cooling to the intake charge actually will add longevity to the motor, because it makes it less likely to have to pull timing due to detonation/heat soak.

But I know manufacturers don't think that way.
I'd agree. It's improving efficiency, reducing the tendency for knock and reducing combustion temperatures. All of which would help with longevity and reliability in theory. Adding twice as much boost as stuck, well that's a different story haha.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 02:24 PM   #28
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

A few weeks ago I replaced the original FMIC with the Active Autowerke FMIC.
Unfortunatelly I did not check/note intake air temparature before, but now I see, that intake air is about 10-15 degrees Celcius or about 20 degrees Fahrenheit higher then outside air temp.
Which I belive is quite a good value.

Currently we have about 30 degrees Celcius (86 degrees Fahrenheit) outside air temp. And my BMW M Performance Drive Analyser App shows a intake ait temp of about 40-45 degrees Clesius (105-115 degrees Fahrenheit) on the intake air sensor.
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 11:43 AM   #29
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Everything that I have read says that you can swap out the intercooler with the front of the car up on jack stands.
Please use a safe, flat top jackstand with an adapter that fits inside the BMW plastic jack points. The first time I jacked up my car, I attempted to use the BMW adapters on my standard old-style jack stands with u-shaped tops meant to hold cylindrical axles. It wasn't safe and was tough to stop it from slipping off. The two safest solutions that I have found are either the Esco flat top stands using the BMW jack point adapters (that are sold everywhere online) or the Rennstand with its optional BMW adapter.
I'd suggest replacing the o-rings that are on both intercooler pipe connections. You need a solid seal on those pipes under boost. I'll post the BMW part number since I'm looking it up anyway.
The most difficult thing in the install is supposed to be disconnecting the two pipes from the intercooler- the charge pipe (that goes to the throttle body) and the TIC pipe (that goes to the turbo). It's difficult to see so you have to feel around with your hands to disconnect it/connect it blindly. One of the best set of instructions on removing the intercooler is actually included in a set of instructions for the Evolution Racewerks Charge Pipe. It's a 6-page PDF with photos. I'd post it here but I'm not sure of the etiquette for that on this forum. (DM me with questions.)
Lastly, if you haven't already replaced your charge pipe, I suggest doing so. The stock plastic charge pipe is obviously an engineering defect as so many people (many without engine mods) having reported the charge pipe breaking at the throttle body connection. It's a very expensive dealer fix and an aftermarket aluminum charge pipe solves the issue. The intercooler is removed to replace the charge pipe anyway so it's much less labor to do them both at the same time, probably 1-1.5 hours total is what I have been quoted. Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0