F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > turbo to intercooler piping replacement
Studio RSR

07-27-2018, 09:47 AM   #1
gbux
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 competition

turbo to intercooler piping replacement

So before I knew what was involved in installing the turbo to intercooler charge pipe, i order it when i ordered my FMIC and TB to IC charge pipe. Once I got everything apart i realized just how buried that pipe is.

Is this worth replacing for stage 2?

Also Im thinking of having a shop do it but Im worried theyre gonna be like "yeah that will take us a fortnight to dig that thing out" so can anyone who has done it / had a shop do it regale me with the tale of how long it took them / you to do it?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 10:05 AM   #2
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbux View Post
So before I knew what was involved in installing the turbo to intercooler charge pipe, i order it when i ordered my FMIC and TB to IC charge pipe. Once I got everything apart i realized just how buried that pipe is.

Also Im thinking of having a shop do it but Im worried theyre gonna be like "yeah that will take us a fortnight to dig that thing out" so can anyone who has done it / had a shop do it regale me with the tale of how long it took them / you to do it?
From what I've read the stock hardware is more than adequate and money is best allocated to something else. From your statement it sounds like you have an upgraded CP and FMIC. I'd put that money towards a tune.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 10:19 AM   #3
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbux View Post

I've been wondering myself if there is a reason to replace the TIC pipe at the same time (save some labor) if you are already going to upgrade the charge pipe and the intercooler. The charge pipe has a history of breaking at the throttle body connection but I haven't read of any failure issues with the TIC pipe (turbo to intercooler). Does anyone have any comment as to if there is any performance advantage to replacing the stock plastic TIC pipe with a metal TIC pipe? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

No failure of the plastic tic pipe that i've seen reported here. Installation wasn't bad. I spent more time struggling with the charged pipe. Unless you have gorilla hands.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 11:19 AM   #5
gbux
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 competition

Thanks for the input guys. Maybe Ill sell the TIC pipe i bought and put the money towards a tune
Appreciate 0