F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 Rear Trunk light no power?
Extreme Powerhouse

08-20-2021, 04:08 PM   #1
Shadysu
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

F30 Rear Trunk light no power?

Hey, Ive been using a set of Mashimarho GTS lights, worked beautifully, had a problem where my trunk light passenger side fitment was off and overtime got bad, then slowly the light itself went out.

Come today I got the new one in, but now the power still didn’t light up the bottom row of the strip ( GTS design scale thingy) doesn’t light up but my brake and indicator light work.

Narrowed the issue down to the connector that plugs into the trunk light, doesn’t give power, used the driver side connector to power the passenger side and it worked.

So how do I go about replacing this wire ? or do i have to replace the entire harness…?

From the picture, the left side set of wires are the ones not working.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 09:40 AM   #2
Squibby1996
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadysu View Post
Hey, Ive been using a set of Mashimarho GTS lights, worked beautifully, had a problem where my trunk light passenger side fitment was off and overtime got bad, then slowly the light itself went out.

Come today I got the new one in, but now the power still didn’t light up the bottom row of the strip ( GTS design scale thingy) doesn’t light up but my brake and indicator light work.

Narrowed the issue down to the connector that plugs into the trunk light, doesn’t give power, used the driver side connector to power the passenger side and it worked.

So how do I go about replacing this wire ? or do i have to replace the entire harness…?

From the picture, the left side set of wires are the ones not working.
Have you checked inside the plug make sure the pin and connectors are in there and not corroded? If they are you can buy a repair kit online that comes with the new plug and cut and solder wires to new plug?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 02:01 PM   #3
Shadysu
Private
Rep

There was a little corrision on the connector, but ironically the one that is working had way worse corrision and works fine lol. I will give that a try!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 05:53 AM   #4
Squibby1996
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 440i

Quote:
There was a little corrision on the connector, but ironically the one that is working had way worse corrision and works fine lol. I will give that a try!
Yeah I'd be a bit worried if there was no power coming down that wire could be a pain trying to track that back to find a break or worse no power being supplied from the module. If that's the case may be an easier option to just run a wire from the other side tail light
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 08:17 AM   #5
zeikei
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

I am not sure if it is same with F series but E series light module would stop supplying voltage to a certain bulb after a number failures, and need to be reset before it starts working again. Common issue if you first have wires broken from the hinge area and have them like that for a while, then fix the wiring and wonder why the lights are still not working.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 12:00 PM   #6
Shadysu
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeikei View Post
I am not sure if it is same with F series but E series light module would stop supplying voltage to a certain bulb after a number failures, and need to be reset before it starts working again. Common issue if you first have wires broken from the hinge area and have them like that for a while, then fix the wiring and wonder why the lights are still not working.

Ahh I was not aware of that, I acutally took off the broken connector and directly spliced the wires together, cus I didn't know what to try, how does one try resetting it?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 03:17 PM   #7
zeikei
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Ahh I was not aware of that, I acutally took off the broken connector and directly spliced the wires together, cus I didn't know what to try, how does one try resetting it?
With E series it is usually done with Tool32 software, I don't know if F series modules have similar counters. Google FRM short circuit reset. Anyway if this is your issue you should have stored faults about short circuit, if not then it's something else.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 01:16 PM   #8
Shadysu
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeikei View Post
With E series it is usually done with Tool32 software, I don't know if F series modules have similar counters. Google FRM short circuit reset. Anyway if this is your issue you should have stored faults about short circuit, if not then it's something else.
I had fault codes when I had a broken tail light, when I put in the new trunk light the code went away.

Does that mean I have to reset it ?
Appreciate 0