F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Comparing Apple CarPlay retrofit options
Studio RSR

01-27-2019, 10:12 PM   #1
j.gerbes
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 320i F30

Comparing Apple CarPlay retrofit options

I'd like to retrofit Apple CarPlay to my 2014 F30 with CIC headunit. It would be good to hear some of your feedback and suggestions before making a decision.

It appears that I have five options:

Option 1: BimmerTech CarPlay MMI
https://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw...ts/carplay-mmi

Price: $525 USD

Pros:
  • Good customer support
  • Firmware updates (though the 'October 2018' update is still pending)
  • Integrates with the built-in microphone
Cons:
  • Expensive compared to Unichip
  • Doens't support steering wheel controls (?)
  • Doesn't support wireless CarPlay
  • Doesn't support full-screen mode (but apparently will in the 'October 2018' update)
  • May be a re-branded generic kit - see here
  • No touch support

Option 2: Unichip CarPlay Smartbox
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...737501642.html

Price: $409 USD (price quoted for one unit)

Pros:
  • Cheapest option
  • Supports full-screen mode
  • Supports steering wheel controls
Cons:
  • Bad customer support
  • Requires a standalone microphone
  • Doesn't support wireless CarPlay (but a wireless option is 'coming soon')
  • No touch support

Option 3: Unique Audio Developments CarPlay Mirroring Interface
https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/carp...ies-2013-2016/

Price: £375.99 GBP (about $475 USD)

Pros:
  • Cheaper than BimmerTech option, but more expensive than Unichip
  • Supports AirPlay and screen mirroring (though I don't think I'd ever use these features)
Cons:
  • Mixed reviews about customer support
  • Doesn't support full-screen mode
  • Ugly oudated UI
  • Doesn't support wireless CarPlay (their wireless option only supports NBT. CIC support is 'coming soon')
  • No touch support

Option 4: Avin 10.25" Android Screen with CarPlay USB adapter
https://avinusa.com/10-25-bmw-3-seri...on-system.html

Price: $539.97 USD (promotional price + Android 8.1 option + CarPlay USB adapter)

Pros:
  • 10.25" touch screen
Cons:
  • Poor CarPlay implementation (android app + USB adapter)
  • Quite expensive
  • Doesn't support steering wheel controls for CarPlay (?)
  • Poor customer support
  • Proven to be a rebranded generic kit - may be available cheaper elsewhere

Option 5: NBT Evo Retrofit

Price: $1,500 - $2,500 USD (price varies depending on supplier and coding cost)

Pros:
  • OEM retrofit instead of third-party
  • Touch support (via touch screen option)
Cons:
  • Most expensive option by far
  • Extensive upgrade process
  • Doesn't support full-screen mode (but can be enabled via coding)
Appreciate 6
iRoik4.00
bcoz80.50
ask0073.00
haagm58809.50
      02-06-2019, 09:39 PM   #2
iRoik
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Great summary. This is exactly what I found in my research too. I suppose there is no "best" option as it depends on your needs. For reference, I have a 2012 535i with CIC Pro Nav. I'll likely be getting the Unichip once wireless CarPlay is available.

Option 1 - I don't know where the post is but they seem to have confirmed that full screen support is not coming. Using the factory mic is a big plus, but I hate the fact that it's not full screen.

Option 2 - My preferred option, as long as (fingers crossed) it works. I was unable to find any details about a wireless option with them. For all we know, coming soon could be Q4 2019

Option 3 - My second choice. However, I see screen mirroring as largely useless. I would rarely use it, much less for Navigation. As I understand it, you'd need to keep your phone screen on and rotated to the landscape view.

Option 4 - Personally I would not go anywhere near this. Besides the lack of CarPlay, traffic and Push to Car, even CIC iDrive is good.

Option 5 - Too expensive when there are other options.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 09:52 PM   #3
fzrashid
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 F20 125i

Option 1 & 5 for me. From what I have read online, wired carplay performance is much better then wireless and the ability to use factory mic is a big advantage.

With option 1, does anyone know of the turn by turn navigation will integrate with the instrument cluster?

Anyone heard of naviplus?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 10:00 PM   #4
iRoik
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzrashid View Post
Option 1 & 5 for me. From what I have read online, wired carplay performance is much better then wireless and the ability to use factory mic is a big advantage.

With option 1, does anyone know of the turn by turn navigation will integrate with the instrument cluster?

I've read that wired carplay performance is better, but curious to know by how much. I don't mind a tiny bit of input lag for the convenience of not having to plug my phone into the system. (I'd rather fast charge my iPhone X via a proper charger).

Naviplus are in Clayton, Melbourne. I haven't had any first hand experience with them, but I get the feeling that they just buy these retrofit adapters and resell them at a large markup.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 02:04 AM   #5
j.gerbes
Rep

Quote:

Quote:

I am torn about the "advantage" of using the factory mic. I have never found its performance to be that great and many on here have commented that the Unichip mic is much clearer.

Unfortunately, CarPlay doesn't support turn-by-turn integration with the instrument cluster/HUD. So, you won't get that feature with any of these options
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2019, 07:00 AM   #6
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

Great summary OP.

With regards to supporting full screen in BimmerTech’s, it could be not possible as per their update here:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1528963&page=9
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 08:28 AM   #7
hidehide
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30

Thanks for the summary. I wonder is there any degrade in audio quality from using the aux cable than directly from stock unit? I have invested in whole car stereo and won't want it to be wasted by the addition of car play..

Last edited by hidehide; 03-25-2019 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 09:04 AM   #8
jrbuzaid
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Convertible F33

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.gerbes View Post
I'd like to retrofit Apple CarPlay to my 2014 F30 with CIC headunit. It would be good to hear some of your feedback and suggestions before making a decision.

It appears that I have five options:

[SIZE="3"]Option 1: BimmerTech CarPlay MMI[/SIZE]
https://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-3-series-f30-f31-f34-f80/connecteddrive-retrofits/carplay-mmi

Price: $525 USD

Pros:
  • Good customer support
  • Firmware updates (though the 'October 2018' update is still pending)
Cons:
  • Expensive compared to Unichip
  • Doens't support steering wheel controls (?)
  • Doesn't support full-screen mode (but apparently will in the 'October 2018' update)
  • May be a re-branded generic kit - see here
  • No touch support

[SIZE="3"]Option 2: Unichip CarPlay Smartbox[/SIZE]
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Unichip-Carplay-navigation-box-for-B_60737501642.html

Price: $409 USD (price quoted for one unit)

Pros:
  • Cheapest option
Cons:
  • Bad customer support
  • Requires a standalone microphone
  • Doesn't support wireless CarPlay (but a wireless option is 'coming soon')
  • No touch support

[SIZE="3"]Option 3: Unique Audio Developments CarPlay Mirroring Interface[/SIZE]
https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/carplay-navigation-reverse-camera-interface-bmw-f30-3-series-2013-2016/

Price: £375.99 GBP (about $475 USD)

Pros:
  • Cheaper than BimmerTech option, but more expensive than Unichip
  • Supports AirPlay and screen mirroring (though I don't think I'd ever use these features)
Cons:
  • Mixed reviews about customer support
  • Doesn't support full-screen mode
  • Ugly oudated UI
  • Doesn't support wireless CarPlay (their wireless option only supports NBT. CIC support is 'coming soon')
  • No touch support

[SIZE="3"]Option 4: Avin 10.25" Android Screen with CarPlay USB adapter[/SIZE]
https://avinusa.com/10-25-bmw-3-series-4-series-m3-f30-f31-f32-f33-f34-f36-f80-2011-2016-android-multimedia-navigation-system.html

Price: $539.97 USD (promotional price + Android 8.1 option + CarPlay USB adapter)

Pros:
  • 10.25" touch screen
Cons:
  • Poor CarPlay implementation (android app + USB adapter)
  • Quite expensive
  • Doesn't support steering wheel controls for CarPlay (?)
  • Poor customer support
  • Proven to be a rebranded generic kit - may be available cheaper elsewhere

[SIZE="3"]Option 5: NBT Evo Retrofit[/SIZE]

Price: $1,500 - $2,500 USD (price varies depending on supplier and coding cost)

Pros:
  • OEM retrofit instead of third-party
  • Touch support (via touch screen option)
Cons:
  • Most expensive option by far
  • Extensive upgrade process
  • Doesn't support full-screen mode (but can be enabled via coding)
Great summary!

I am in the same dilema.

But so far looks like I will take BimmerTech MMI CarPlay + BimmerTech Mirroring and maybe front view camera.

As I am in Australia Naviplus is a strong option too, but I heard almost nothing about it, someone has infos to share with us?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 08:04 PM   #9
ask007
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 328i xDrive

Great writeup! It's good to understand the current options all in one place like this.

Has anyone tried this unit and had luck?

Joyeauto Wireless CarPlay F30

This is the only option (under $1000) that I could find that has wireless CarPlay. I'd really like to see a version of these units that had better sound quality with the aux port. The joyeauto option above uses some USB plug that converts the aux signal to a digital file format for the car to read in real-time.

I tried the Bimmertech MMI unit in my 2014 F30 and had mixed results: poor resolution/dim screen, poor call quality on both ends, poor audio quality/highs gone from all music.

Does the ID4 -> ID6 retrofit enable wireless carplay? I had a 2019 X3 for a while and loved hopping in the car and carplay pop up while the phone was in my pocket.

EDIT:

Upon further investigation, it looks like the unique audio developments unit is an exact replica of the joyeauto unit. FYI: If anybody is looking, it's available for $375 on aliexpress.

Last edited by ask007; 05-06-2019 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: additional info
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 08:11 PM   #10
ask007
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbuzaid View Post
Great summary!

I am in the same dilema.

But so far looks like I will take BimmerTech MMI CarPlay + BimmerTech Mirroring and maybe front view camera.

As I am in Australia Naviplus is a strong option too, but I heard almost nothing about it, someone has infos to share with us?
If you're not concerned about running another cable above your rear-view mirror for the mic, I've heard good things about the unichip retrofit over bimmertech. It would also allow you to go with the full screen carplay option. I'm a little biased, but I haven't had great results with bimmertech.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 01:19 PM   #11
JCTT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Looks like the Unique-AD solution just added wireless Carplay (and added price as well!). I'm following this topic too, it looks like the Unique-AD and Unichip both offer similar functionality (full screen, steering wheel controls) with the exception that Unique-AD supports wireless Carplay. Since I don't think I will need or want wireless, I'm opting to save the money.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 11:28 PM   #12
Ogez84
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 diesel M sport

I wasn't able to find any info or demo videos of the Unique AD solution providing Airplay or Screen Mirroring functionality. Does anyone have any info on this?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 12:32 AM   #13
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Would like to retro fit this to the new cars with subscription car play to have no subscription. Maybe replace the head unit. Heard there was an outage in Europe and the US so even paying customers couldn't use car play because the cars couldn't get on connected drive to confirm the customers had paid. No other car maker, luxury or otherwise does this. Apple should change there policy on licensing car play to prevent having BMW charge for a service they don't provide and that doesn't require an internet connection as you would use your phone's internet connection which you are already paying for.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 01:22 PM   #14
vinnik
Rep
Drives: 123d e87 2011

just bought unichip wireless carplay for my e87

hey, I know you guys have a different car, but I also have the CIC unit in mine and I have a e87 1 series.

I just wanted to tell you that unichip HAS wireless carplay now at least for my CIC car.
I just ordered it and paid 320$ including paypal fees and dhl express shipping to germany.

I will report back on how to install etc and if its good. I hope I can do it next week.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 01:58 AM   #15
j.gerbes
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnik View Post
hey, I know you guys have a different car, but I also have the CIC unit in mine and I have a e87 1 series.

I just wanted to tell you that unichip HAS wireless carplay now at least for my CIC car.
I just ordered it and paid 320$ including paypal fees and dhl express shipping to germany.

I will report back on how to install etc and if its good. I hope I can do it next week.
Quote:

Hey, thanks for this info. Could you please share the URL for the unit you bought?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 01:33 PM   #16
vinnik
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.gerbes View Post
Hey, thanks for this info. Could you please share the URL for the unit you bought?
hey, sure!
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...2433584.pic_11

thats the one I bought, but you should double check with yuki (she is a really nice girl from the company who speaks english very well) on whatsapp if this fits for your car with your media system. I can PM you her number if you want, just hit me up
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 07:19 AM   #17
vinnik
Rep

coding radio to start carplay automatically?

hey guys I will receive my unichip carplay box (with wireless carplay) today and try to put it in my car this friday.
I thought about the need to press the "menu" or "8" button every time I start the engine and think its not that comfortable.

So do you guys think it could be possible to code my car that it automatically "presses" the button every time the engine starts? Like this you would start your engine and be right in carplay after a couple seconds. Or cant you code the navigation system or the radio?
Seems a tiny script would do the job - but I have 0 experience with coding cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 07:26 AM   #18
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
hey guys I will receive my unichip carplay box (with wireless carplay) today and try to put it in my car this friday.
I thought about the need to press the "menu" or "8" button every time I start the engine and think its not that comfortable.

So do you guys think it could be possible to code my car that it automatically "presses" the button every time the engine starts? Like this you would start your engine and be right in carplay after a couple seconds. Or cant you code the navigation system or the radio?
Seems a tiny script would do the job - but I have 0 experience with coding cars.
It's not that big of a deal. It's just like changing the media or input setting when you get in the car to listen to radio or Bluetooth or usb etc. it's just a single push and it opens right up.

And just to add that steering wheel functions don't seem to work properly on unichip. Talking to them today about it and she said it was an odd on function and has conflict with their module. Sent her a video of my HUD and when I have CarPlay open and try and change radio stations if glitches quite badly. Steering wheel controls also do not work on the CarPlay itself.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 03:54 PM   #19
vinnik
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
It's not that big of a deal. It's just like changing the media or input setting when you get in the car to listen to radio or Bluetooth or usb etc. it's just a single push and it opens right up.

And just to add that steering wheel functions don't seem to work properly on unichip. Talking to them today about it and she said it was an odd on function and has conflict with their module. Sent her a video of my HUD and when I have CarPlay open and try and change radio stations if glitches quite badly. Steering wheel controls also do not work on the CarPlay itself.
Oh okay, so you just single press button "8" on your radio to get carplay?

My brother borrows me a coding app adapter for my iphone and I can at least try if I find an option like this to start carplay right away - but firstly I will install it tomorrow and hope everything works well with cable management etc.!

regarding the wheel buttons: I hope they release a software update then that it works again for you! I wonder if also others have these problems or if its just you with maybe a radio app that is not compatible or something?

btw. the wireless carplay box I received is not branded as a "unichip" but as "limcet". But regarding yuki it is also produced by unichip.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 08:35 PM   #20
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post

Oh okay, so you just single press button "8" on your radio to get carplay?

My brother borrows me a coding app adapter for my iphone and I can at least try if I find an option like this to start carplay right away - but firstly I will install it tomorrow and hope everything works well with cable management etc.!

regarding the wheel buttons: I hope they release a software update then that it works again for you! I wonder if also others have these problems or if its just you with maybe a radio app that is not compatible or something?

btw. the wireless carplay box I received is not branded as a "unichip" but as "limcet". But regarding yuki it is also produced by unichip.
Ya I'm quite sure you can't code presets to be default. You can get it to start up in a certain mode (radio, Nav, media, six, etc) however the CarPlay is like a weird adapter and doesn't quite act like a mode per say.

As far as the issues I'm having. After talking unichip they have expressed there's nothing to be done as it's "not their fault" lol. I believe it's there fault to not express the limitations of their product but hey this is America and I guess things in China run different.

Unfortunately unichip doesn't offer wireless for NBT yet. They said maybe soon. Only joyauto and unique.

I didn't see an option for wireless CarPlay on avins website. Only thing they have is a dongle for wired for the X5s at least.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 08:51 PM   #21
AcidSun
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

I just came across a wireless option option from BimmerRetrofit.com.

Wireless Apple CarPlay Retrofit for NBT iDrive - $599

Pros
-Wireless
-Supports Steering Wheel Controls
-Supports Full Screen

Cons
- External Microphone
- Expensive
- Rebranded IDCORE (Mentioned in pairing process)

Bimmer Retrofit Apple Car Play Adapter for NBT Installation

----Description from Website----
The most complete Apple CarPlay wireless integration for your NBT iDrive is finally here!

​Our CarPlay NBT adapter allows integration of the CarPlay system in to existing NBT system in your vehicle. Adapter connects to existing NBT iDrive system and uses it to display CarPlay mode while communicating with your Apple device wirelessly (Bluetooth and WiFi).

Once connected with your Apple device you can enjoy a variety of iOS apps on the BMW NBT display. This is not a true screen mirroring solution, but Apple CarPlay is as close as it gets to screen mirroring - it lets you use Apple Maps for navigation and traffic, access iTunes and send text messages! More functions will be added over time by Apple/BMW.

​If your vehicle is already equipped with NBT iDrive you should be able to install this adapter
​There is no need to perform any coding or configuration of your NBT system to work with CarPlay adapter. The only configuration required is Pairing of your Apple device via BT with CarPlay adapter.
If your vehicle is not equipped with NBT iDrive, no worries! We can provide you with everything that you will need to install NBT or even NBT EVO retrofit (has built in native CarPlay) in your car. For more information on the NBT EVO retrofit in your specific car, please see this link and email us with the VIN of your car.​​

Last edited by AcidSun; 06-03-2019 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 01:05 PM   #22
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:

Did you happen to get this installed? Any feedback? Thanks!
Appreciate 0