F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Rivian R1S
ARMA SPEED

05-08-2021, 11:30 AM   #23
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

The cars are already running around in the US. Customers are been told to expect more details on delivery this month. Interesting Tesla has currently halted X production, the Taycan isn't really in the same league for utility and the eTron thingy is just awful for range, so ironically there is a 'gap' in the market for $100k+ large EVs currently!!!

Last edited by gangzoom; 05-08-2021 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 04:42 AM   #24
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...ectric-4x4s-uk

UK production would be fantastic. Long way off and just speculation but talks ongoing.
      08-02-2021, 05:33 AM   #25
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...ectric-4x4s-uk

UK production would be fantastic. Long way off and just speculation but talks ongoing.
Still following this closely, few more prod delays meaning the first R1T customers won't get cars until September and R1S later in the year. Really looking forward to the first reviews of production cars.

Factory on my doorstep would be lovely!

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 05:39 AM   #26
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Still following this closely, few more prod delays meaning the first R1T customers won't get cars until September and R1S later in the year. Really looking forward to the first reviews of production cars.

Uk pricing might reflect US pricing if they get local production, what are they smoking! Tax differences will account for a chunk and of course prices are based on what the market can take, not what the cost plus arrives at...

And arent they going to be the size of a UK street...?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 05:55 AM   #27
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:

Uk pricing might reflect US pricing if they get local production, what are they smoking! Tax differences will account for a chunk and of course prices are based on what the market can take, not what the cost plus arrives at...

And arent they going to be the size of a UK street...?
Yes, the usual BS on comparative pricing.

Size wise I think they sit between X5 and X7, maybe a few cm longer than my D5.

Appreciate 1
isleaiw18769.50
      08-02-2021, 06:07 AM   #28
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the usual BS on comparative pricing.

Size wise I think they sit between X5 and X7, maybe a few cm longer than my D5.
ah ok, not as bad as I feared. They just look huge then thanks to all the flat sides....
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2021, 07:14 AM   #29
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

I thought you'd be very happy with a potential factory collection
      09-07-2021, 03:07 PM   #30
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

R1T Review

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...-drive-review/

"We were enjoying the Rivian plenty through twists and turns when we engaged in an experiment of sorts: We activated Sport mode, pushed hard enough into a sharp bend to provoke a little understeer, and then nailed the throttle. We felt the R1T's torque-vectoring superpowers at work: The outside-rear motor powered up and brought the R1T's nose around, and we blasted out of the turn like the Millennium Falcon—and this with four occupants in the cab, several hundred pounds of gear in the bed, and all-terrain tires. It's a sensation we've experienced in only a handful of cars, and never in a heavily laden pickup truck."

"Our first drive of the Rivian R1T left us very impressed, not just with the truck but with the prospect of what electrification can do for one of America's most popular vehicle segments. The Rivian R1T feels like a vehicle of the future, but it also feels like one very well grounded in the here and now. It hauls and tackles difficult terrain as well as or better than internal combustion pickups, and its combination of on-pavement handling prowess and off-road finesse is simply unmatched in any other current truck. If the Rivian R1T is the future of the pickup truck—and we certainly think it is—then the future cannot come quickly enough."

Yum.

Also, the interior:

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...terior-review/

Last edited by MashinBenzin; 09-07-2021 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      09-07-2021, 03:31 PM   #31
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
R1T Review

"We were enjoying the Rivian plenty through twists and turns when we engaged in an experiment of sorts: We activated Sport mode, pushed hard enough into a sharp bend to provoke a little understeer, and then nailed the throttle. We felt the R1T's torque-vectoring superpowers at work: The outside-rear motor powered up and brought the R1T's nose around, and we blasted out of the turn like the Millennium Falcon—and this with four occupants in the cab, several hundred pounds of gear in the bed, and all-terrain tires. It's a sensation we've experienced in only a handful of cars, and never in a heavily laden pickup truck."

"Our first drive of the Rivian R1T left us very impressed, not just with the truck but with the prospect of what electrification can do for one of America's most popular vehicle segments. The Rivian R1T feels like a vehicle of the future, but it also feels like one very well grounded in the here and now. It hauls and tackles difficult terrain as well as or better than internal combustion pickups, and its combination of on-pavement handling prowess and off-road finesse is simply unmatched in any other current truck. If the Rivian R1T is the future of the pickup truck—and we certainly think it is—then the future cannot come quickly enough."

Yum.

Also, the interior:

sounds epic. Shame its price in sterling will be so much higher than those quoted!
Appreciate 2
JustChris17487.50
      09-08-2021, 12:10 AM   #32
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:
R1T Review

Yum.

Also, the interior:

sounds epic. Shame its price in sterling will be so much higher than those quoted!
Yes, sadly I think this will be £90k+ here

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 01:06 PM   #33
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

How about the new Hyundai Santa Fe pickup?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 01:13 PM   #34
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAlp View Post
The what??!! Off to Google.

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 01:31 PM   #35
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Santa Cruz..?
      09-09-2021, 01:35 PM   #36
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Santa Cruz..?
Ahhh. That's better

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 04:42 PM   #37
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

Cruz 🤭
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 02:24 PM   #38
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

https://www.business-live.co.uk/manu...visit-21501260
      09-15-2021, 12:49 AM   #39
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Just seen the EPA rating for this thing, 300 miles but with an efficiency of 65 MPGe on the high way test - a Model X is 90 MPGe on the same test cycle.

The range is possible because of the monster 150kWh battery, thats 50% more than a Taycan and 100%+ more than our X (67kWh usable)!!!!

Even on a 7KW home charger this thing will take 22hrs to recharge, if you are going to buy/own one you will need a 3 phase supply to charge it to full overnight.

This thing is literally the Hummer of the EV world, though I read that Hummer is doing their own EV.

I bare not to think what the consumption/range is like at 70mph+ into a head wind with standing water on the ground, given the EPA test cycle is at 60mph, and the Rivian literally looks like a brick on wheels.......In WORST conditions our X will return 500wh/mile, even than its only till the battery is warm, I suspect 800-1000Wh/mile consumption might be seen in these things.

Good luck to any potential owners, just make sure you have access to some decent electrical feeds.....my trusty 3 pin plug charger certainly would be useless on this thing, 50hr+ to recharge on a 3 pin!!

https://insideevs.com/news/530883/ri...r1s-epa-range/
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 02:48 AM   #40
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Just seen the EPA rating for this thing, 300 miles but with an efficiency of 65 MPGe on the high way test - a Model X is 90 MPGe on the same test cycle.

The range is possible because of the monster 150kWh battery, thats 50% more than a Taycan and 100%+ more than our X (67kWh usable)!!!!

Even on a 7KW home charger this thing will take 22hrs to recharge, if you are going to buy/own one you will need a 3 phase supply to charge it to full overnight.

This thing is literally the Hummer of the EV world, though I read that Hummer is doing their own EV.

I bare not to think what the consumption/range is like at 70mph+ into a head wind with standing water on the ground, given the EPA test cycle is at 60mph, and the Rivian literally looks like a brick on wheels.......In WORST conditions our X will return 500wh/mile, even than its only till the battery is warm, I suspect 800-1000Wh/mile consumption might be seen in these things.

Good luck to any potential owners, just make sure you have access to some decent electrical feeds.....my trusty 3 pin plug charger certainly would be useless on this thing, 50hr+ to recharge on a 3 pin!!

https://insideevs.com/news/530883/ri...r1s-epa-range/
The Model X isn't remotely the competition though, so the comparison is fatuous. The Rivians are designed for packaging/space and utility/off-road ability. I'm sure Rivian could put a tortoise shaped aero body on the same chassis and get far better EPA ratings, but that's not the point of their product.

And as you pointed out yourself, it literally isn't the Hummer of the EV world. Both the Hummer EV and F150 lightning will be far larger, but they will be the competition for the R1T.

The R1S is after Jeep and Land Rover's breakfast. It competes with FFRR/Grand Cherokee/D5/Defender 110/130 etc.

It's the only EV launched so far that comes close to competing with the Discovery for my needs, and doesn't just compete, it would appear to smash it out of the park.

NB - why the sudden obsession with charging from empty, we usually read of the EV world's nightly top ups, not running to empty

Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      09-15-2021, 05:04 AM   #41
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It's the only EV launched so far that comes close to competing with the Discovery for my needs, and doesn't just compete, it would appear to smash it out of the park.

NB - why the sudden obsession with charging from empty, we usually read of the EV world's nightly top ups, not running to empty
This isn't just charging from empty, 150kWh is a crazy amount of energy, as I've mentioned its 50% more than the battery in the Taycan, its even more than battery in the EQS which will have a true range of 400 miles.

The real life range of that thing is going to be around 250 miles on a good day and I suspect not much more than 200 miles on a bad day, so if you are doing a 200 mile run, you will end up nearly needing to charge it up from a low state of charge!! Putting in 50kWh overnight on cheap electrcity is very different from putting in 100kWh+ through out the whole day interms of cost and convince.

The reason EVs 'work' fine with domestic charging is because they are energy efficient, so a relative small amount of energy can take you a good distance - Hence why a 3pin plug is all you need for most EVs. But this thing is in a different league of energy usage, infact its not going to be far off the latest Prius interims of pure energy efficiency.

Its fine if you are happy with the massive consumption.

Last edited by gangzoom; 09-15-2021 at 05:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 05:27 AM   #42
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

This isn't just charging from empty, 150kWh is a crazy amount of energy, as I've mentioned its 50% more than the battery in the Taycan, its even more than battery in the EQS which will have a true range of 400 miles.

The real life range of that thing is going to be around 250 miles on a good day and I suspect not much more than 200 miles on a bad day, so if you are doing a 200 mile run, you will end up nearly needing to charge it up from a low state of charge!! Putting in 50kWh overnight on cheap electrcity is very different from putting in 100kWh+ through out the whole day interms of cost and convince.

The reason EVs 'work' fine with domestic charging is because they are energy efficient, so a relative small amount of energy can take you a good distance - Hence why a 3pin plug is all you need for most EVs. But this thing is in a different league of energy usage, infact its not going to be far off the latest Prius interims of pure energy efficiency.

Its fine if you are happy with the massive consumption.
Strange how you chopped the bit out that was relevant to its energy efficiency. It has a different target market. Rather like a Range Rover is less efficient than a S-Max, a Rivian is less efficient than a Model X.

Probably not the car to buy if you have a 200 mile daily commute and charge on a 3-pin, but approximately zero people will care.

Appreciate 2
TimMcC502.50
JustChris17487.50
      09-15-2021, 05:44 AM   #43
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
but approximately zero people will care.
But isn't that the point, if anyone really cares about 'consumption' it really doesn't matter what energy source you are consuming.

The Taycan, Model X, even eTron are actually all within 10-15% of efficiency you get from a Leaf. Infact due to aero a Taycan is MORE efficient than a Leaf at 70mph+!!

For the same amount of battery in the Rivian you can make x2 of our X, about 6 24kWh Leafs, and for every 3 built you can have an 'extra' Taycan/eTron pack going spare.

If none of that matters to you great, but I would hope most people can see the madness of it.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 05:54 AM   #44
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
but approximately zero people will care.
But isn't that the point, if anyone really cares about 'consumption' it really doesn't matter what energy source you are consuming.

The Taycan, Model X, even eTron are actually all within 10-15% of efficiency you get from a Leaf. Infact due to aero a Taycan is MORE efficient than a Leaf at 70mph+!!

For the same amount of battery in the Rivian you can make x2 of our X, about 6 24kWh Leafs, and for every 3 built you can have an 'extra' Taycan/eTron pack going spare.

If none of that matters to you great, but I would hope most people can see the madness of it.
What is your solution? Ban off-roaders? Ban cars with a squared off shape, or mandate them away with energy consumption laws?

Are we saying that Model Xs that can do sub 3-sec 0-60 despite being wide, long, and heavy are just fine, no madness there? The madness only starts above the energy consumption of that vehicle? Perhaps as well as steady state consumption we should have laws around instantaneous energy consumption?

Appreciate 0