F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bmw f30 transmission
Studio RSR

07-02-2021, 08:04 PM   #23
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' BMW 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzina View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_FThirty View Post
That's strange. I haven't seen the ZF8HP without that. Are you sure it isn't missing from the old one?

Potentially, you could connect the mechatronics unit only, and keep the transmission there without doing all the work. Run a diagnostics with it and see if the ECU can communicate with it.

ISTA+ would allow you to do that.
No it's not missing not all cars with zf8hp have start stop so no need for the cylinder. Also the new one has extra hole where the cylinder is fitted mine doesn't have the hole. For that reason I have to leave the cylinder in place even if it's not going to be in use and connected to basically plug the hole. But I don't know if that is not going to make problems with fluid pressure inside the transmission.

Thats exactly what I'm going to do right now. I'll report back. The question is if the diagnostic data will be accurate with engine off. With no fluid pressure data.
fingers crossed. I really don't wanna pull the tranny out again.
Could you just swap the solenoid?
      07-02-2021, 08:05 PM   #24
Pruzina
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5M, M6, X5 5.0, 335i

Few pictures from installation
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 01:24 PM   #25
Pruzina
Private First Class
Rep

Final update. Car is running now as it should.
Hopefully this thread will help someone in future.

I was able to move the wire harness over to my mechatronic unit. So I swapped the mechatronics and was able to connect it to the HIS (start stop cylinder). Reinstall the valve body filled with 7 quarts of fluid.

No coding or any other actions required. Car fired right up transmission is shifting as should. It was jerky first few miles now it's fine.

Little tip for everyone who plans to do fluid change or any service to the transmission. In last picture is the most cost effective, quick and easy way how to pump the fluid in. Forget crappy hand pumps it will take you forever leaving mess all around. This will transfer 5+ quarts in minutes while you just laying on your back
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-12-2021, 10:30 AM   #26
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Great work man.

I had a Clutch B disrupted code that came up randomly after a track day. No issues after that even on the track the next day.

How did you get the car that high on the Quickjack?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 05:16 PM   #27
Pruzina
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post

How did you get the car that high on the Quickjack?
Oh that was a challenge. I'm trying to remember.

I think I lifted the car put spare wheels under the wheels lower the quickjacks back down insert the 2x4 and lifted the car. Took me some time to figure out. Bcs there was not enough clearance to put the 2x4 when the car was on the ground.
You may use ramps instead of spare wheels or something else but make sure it's safe.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 02:24 PM   #28
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzina View Post
Oh that was a challenge. I'm trying to remember.

I think I lifted the car put spare wheels under the wheels lower the quickjacks back down insert the 2x4 and lifted the car. Took me some time to figure out. Bcs there was not enough clearance to put the 2x4 when the car was on the ground.
You may use ramps instead of spare wheels or something else but make sure it's safe.
https://www.raceramps.com/garage-ser...bs/p/rr-wc-12/

This would probably be the expensive way of doing it.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 05:50 PM   #29
Pruzina
Private First Class
Rep

Wow that's expensive. I was googling different ways how to do it and 4 car ramps seems the most cost effective way if you don't have something usefull laying around.
Also I'm planing to buy quickjacks extensions as the 2x4 cracking was making me pretty uncomfortable.

But once you have all tools and equipment it's doable. Another pair of hands would definitely help but as my GF refused to go under the car in this sketchy setup. I had to do it myself.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 03:29 PM   #30
mcjohnz5
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Xdrive

Using the DX sprayer to fill with the transmission with fluid - Awesome Idea!
Appreciate 0