F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Fitting leather seats
Extreme Powerhouse

01-22-2022, 08:03 PM   #1
Stuart j
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30

Fitting leather seats

Just fitted some M-Sport leather heated seats in my car. Mine is only the SE. Is there anyway I can get the inflatable bolsters and heated working.
Grateful to any advice cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 03:04 AM   #2
Leade
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

What did you replace these with di you have the cloth seats with the red stripe on the back, if they were foling seats , i'll take those of your hands.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 06:58 PM   #3
Stuart j
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leade View Post
What did you replace these with di you have the cloth seats with the red stripe on the back, if they were foling seats , i'll take those of your hands.
No mate they are just white stitched f30 sports seats.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 03:28 AM   #4
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart j View Post
Just fitted some M-Sport leather heated seats in my car. Mine is only the SE. Is there anyway I can get the inflatable bolsters and heated working.
You can, but you'll need to wire the seats into the FEM (Front Electronic Module). You would also need a new switch panel with the heated seat buttons and then you would have to VO code the car - specifically the climate control - for the heated seat buttons and the FEM.
      01-24-2022, 04:09 PM   #5
Leade
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

i would take them in a heartbeat, but rear seats dont fold down, you can tell by the lack of isofix bar across the middle bench. i wouldve so done the trip though.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2022, 09:24 PM   #6
Stuart j
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart j View Post
You can, but you'll need to wire the seats into the FEM (Front Electronic Module). You would also need a new switch panel with the heated seat buttons and then you would have to VO code the car - specifically the climate control - for the heated seat buttons and the FEM.

Thanks for the reply and help. What about the bolsters is that a nightmare of a job too do you know?

Like I say I appreciate the help

Stu
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 01:58 PM   #7
marshyrob
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d 2017 M Sport

Sorry to hijack this but its in the same vein. I have the M sport seats but they are manual, but do have the electronic bolster control and are heated. Mrs drives the car as well as me at times and messes with the seat postioning so im spending ages trying to get the sweet spot. Cant even get in sometines as im big and she is small

If i wanted to swap them for full electric with memory function will i need new wiring or is it there with the bolster control and heating i already have? I assume coding is needed but im sure i can do that with E-Sys...

Appreciate any info.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 06:49 AM   #8
MY340i
Major
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshyrob View Post
Sorry to hijack this but its in the same vein. I have the M sport seats but they are manual, but do have the electronic bolster control and are heated. Mrs drives the car as well as me at times and messes with the seat postioning so im spending ages trying to get the sweet spot. Cant even get in sometines as im big and she is small

If i wanted to swap them for full electric with memory function will i need new wiring or is it there with the bolster control and heating i already have? I assume coding is needed but im sure i can do that with E-Sys...

Appreciate any info.
let me know how you get on, also interested in this
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 09:03 AM   #9
Stuart j
Private First Class
Rep

If be happy if I could just get the bolsters to work.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 12:57 PM   #10
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
The bolsters just need power, no coding.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2022, 03:40 PM   #11
Stuart j
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
The bolsters just need power, no coding.

You any idea which wire need power mate please.

Thank stu
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 04:04 AM   #12
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

I did it a couple of years ago now. Thread with most of the info I got is here:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1578064

Mine had the basic cloth seats and I fitted leather seats and did the wiring for seat heating and the electric side bolsters.

From memory, the side bolsters just needed power and ground and I ran the power into an empty slot in the engine bay fuse box. Heated seats also needed power and ground, again with an empty fuse slot in the engine bay fuse box, but they also needed another wire running to the REM along with replacing the climate panel and coding. Nothing too difficult really.

Annoyingly I got the seat pinouts from newTIS at the time but we can't use that anymore. Perhaps someone with access to BMW TIS might be able to grab those.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2022, 05:37 AM   #13
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zheez View Post

Annoyingly I got the seat pinouts from newTIS at the time but we can't use that anymore. Perhaps someone with access to BMW TIS might be able to grab those.
Does this help?

Name:  Screenshot 2022-02-03 at 11-25-59 Plug connections, seat module.png
Views: 549
Size:  150.0 KB

Name:  Screenshot 2022-02-03 at 11-29-31 Electrically adjustable seats.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  124.2 KB

Name:  Screenshot 2022-02-03 at 11-30-15 Electrically adjustable seats.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  137.3 KB

Name:  Screenshot 2022-02-03 at 11-30-45 Electrically adjustable seats.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  170.4 KB

Name:  Screenshot 2022-02-03 at 11-31-16 Electrically adjustable seats.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  119.8 KB
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2022, 07:14 PM   #14
Stuart j
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I did it a couple of years ago now. Thread with most of the info I got is here:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1578064

Mine had the basic cloth seats and I fitted leather seats and did the wiring for seat heating and the electric side bolsters.

From memory, the side bolsters just needed power and ground and I ran the power into an empty slot in the engine bay fuse box. Heated seats also needed power and ground, again with an empty fuse slot in the engine bay fuse box, but they also needed another wire running to the REM along with replacing the climate panel and coding. Nothing too difficult really.

I can't thank you enough.

I don't suppose you can remember where the live and ground went for the bolsters do you?

I could do with sorting this as with them being second hand the bolsters are a bit tight on me.

I'd be happy if I could just sort these for now, and attempt the heated side later.

Appreciate your help and advice

Stu
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 07:18 PM   #15
Stuart j
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscoob View Post
Quote:

Does this help?

Attachment 2803890

Attachment 2803891

Attachment 2803892

Attachment 2803893

Attachment 2803894

Thanks so much for the help

Stu
Appreciate 1
Alscoob2111.50
      02-06-2022, 05:44 AM   #16
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The pinouts for the seat connectors would be good. X12 and X14 are the connector numbers (one for driver's side and one for passenger side) as I have some bits saved but I stupidly didn't save all the info after I'd done it. These are the seat connectors:

From what I've got noted down:

Pin 8 - LINBUS connection, runs to REM A174*14b pin 18 (I do have pics of the REM connections that show what that is)
Pin 25 - Heated seat power, I ran these into fuses 64 and 65 in the engine bay fuse box
Pin 26 - Ground

I think pins 15 and 16 were the ones for the side bolster adjustment, one ground and one power but I can't remember which way it was. If we can't find the pinouts, I'll unplug one of the connectors from my seats to see what pins I used if it helps.

You can free up the bolsters though, just take the plastic back of the seat off by removing the two push pins underneath the backing and sliding it off and you will see tubes in there. Just disconnect the tubes from the valve and it will let the air out so should make it a bit less tight for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 07:53 PM   #17
Stuart j
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The pinouts for the seat connectors would be good. X12 and X14 are the connector numbers (one for driver's side and one for passenger side) as I have some bits saved but I stupidly didn't save all the info after I'd done it. These are the seat connectors:

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/tTpBphWS/X14.jpg[/img]

Pin 8 - LINBUS connection, runs to REM A174*14b pin 18 (I do have pics of the REM connections that show what that is)
Pin 25 - Heated seat power, I ran these into fuses 64 and 65 in the engine bay fuse box
Pin 26 - Ground

I think pins 15 and 16 were the ones for the side bolster adjustment, one ground and one power but I can't remember which way it was. If we can't find the pinouts, I'll unplug one of the connectors from my seats to see what pins I used if it helps.

You can free up the bolsters though, just take the plastic back of the seat off by removing the two push pins underneath the backing and sliding it off and you will see tubes in there. Just disconnect the tubes from the valve and it will let the air out so should make it a bit less tight for you.

I honestly can't thank you enough.

If I could find out which way round they are for the ground and power that would be great.

Thanks again Zheez I genuinely appreciate it

Stu
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 06:27 AM   #18
Stuart j
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/tTpBphWS/X14.jpg[/img]

Pin 26 - Ground

Zheez so you think pins 16 and 15 are definitely for the bolsters matey?

Thanks again Zheez
Stu
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 06:45 AM   #19
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I think so. I’ll check mine out for you later or tomorrow since I need to disconnect the battery to do so and I don’t have a socket set on hand to do it until I get back home.

Will unplug the connector and snap a picture of what wires are what for 100% confirmation.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 07:38 PM   #20
Stuart j
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I think so. I'll check mine out for you later or tomorrow since I need to disconnect the battery to do so and I don't have a socket set on hand to do it until I get back home.

Will unplug the connector and snap a picture of what wires are what for 100% confirmation.

Mate I don't want put you out or expect you to do that Zheez.

Stu
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 05:11 AM   #21
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Not a problem, was a 5 minute job. Here's what I've done to my connectors:

I've added the 5 wires in the upper block - 3 black cables, 1 red and 1 black/red. Pinouts for these are:

1 - Side bolster power
8 - LINBUS connection for heated seats, I spliced a wire from this pin from both seats together and ran it to the REM
16 - Ground for seat electrical adjustment - this is a big terminal presumably because it handles the ground for the bolster pump as well as the motors for full electric seats
25 - Heated seat power
26 - Heated seat ground

Ideally I would've used different a different colour for the REM connection but I guess I didn't have any other colour in the correct gauge at the time and I'm impatient

So if you just want the side bolster air pumps working you only need to worry about pins 1 and 16 from each seat. I ran the two power cables to the same spot, crimped them together along with a single thicker gauge power cable and ran that into a spare terminal in the engine bay fuse box. As you can see, the terminals are small so they don't use high current cable. I believe I used fuse 27 for this (which I'm pretty sure is what it would use for this from factory) which did already have a fuse in it but it wasn't connected to anything. If you do the heated seats, I used fuses 64 and 65 for the power.

I've probably got some spare BMW repair wires with pre-crimped terminals that will plug into the seat connector and empty spaces in the fuse box if you need them. Just need to slot them in the relevant places then solder or crimp other wire in between them.

Last edited by Zheez; 02-10-2022 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2022, 07:05 AM   #22
Stuart j
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Not a problem, was a 5 minute job. Here's what I've done to my connectors:

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/XYKHbWr6/IMG-3592.jpg[/img]

I've added the 5 wires in the upper block - 3 black cables, 1 red and 1 black/red. Pinouts for these are:

1 - Side bolster power
8 - LINBUS connection for heated seats, I spliced a wire from this pin from both seats together and ran it to the REM
16 - Ground for seat electrical adjustment - this is a big terminal presumably because it handles the ground for the bolster pump as well as the motors for full electric seats
25 - Heated seat power
26 - Heated seat ground

Ideally I would've used different a different colour for the REM connection but I guess I didn't have any other colour in the correct gauge at the time and I'm impatient

So if you just want the side bolster air pumps working you only need to worry about pins 1 and 16 from each seat. I ran the two power cables to the same spot, crimped them together along with a single thicker gauge power cable and ran that into a spare terminal in the engine bay fuse box. As you can see, the terminals are small so they don't use high current cable. I believe I used fuse 27 for this (which I'm pretty sure is what it would use for this from factory) which did already have a fuse in it but it wasn't connected to anything. If you do the heated seats, I used fuses 64 and 65 for the power.

I've probably got some spare BMW repair wires with pre-crimped terminals that will plug into the seat connector and empty spaces in the fuse box if you need them. Just need to slot them in the relevant places then solder or crimp other wire in between them.

Zheez I honestly can't thank you enough. You really have helped me more than you could ever know and has for the pics mate. Taking the seat connectors apart. Top bloke thank you.

I don't want to put you out anymore mate. I'll have a look on eBay or wherever I need too, to find the terminals for the seat.

Zheez thanks again

Stu
Appreciate 0