F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > How to get an accurate value?
Extreme Powerhouse

10-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #1
XK140
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SEAT Leon Cupra Carbon/GT86

How to get an accurate value?

I will probably swap my M140i around next March,not sure what I'll get to replace it but that's beside the point.

Currently saving up to pay cash to change and 140 is owned outright.

As the months go by I want to keep track of the 140's true value,this would be via the best price achievable in a trade sale,looking at all the possibilities.
I want to keep looking because if there are signs that the value is falling quickly then I might bring forward a deal... or even abort it altogether!

I don't have much faith in a private sale since I think this would be difficult in this price range,but maybe not?

I feel one difficulty is valuing the options,some say they make no difference to the price but I can't see it...how can a total poverty spec car be the same as one with £10k options?

Advice as to where to look and how to adjust for options/mileage would be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #2
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Valuing options isn't an exact science but in general I do think they add more to marketability than value. However, TRL publishes what each individual option costs to add on a PCP and what effect it has on the GFV (see below); guess those latter figures might give a rough indication as to the extra you can expect to receive if your car's loaded with options as opposed to poverty spec? The difference is unlikely to be thousands though and it's quite sobering to see how many extras add precisely nothing to the GFV....

http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtop...d0010e438a9616
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 12:19 PM   #3
XK140
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Valuing options isn't an exact science but in general I do think they add more to marketability than value. However, TRL publishes what each individual option costs to add on a PCP and what effect it has on the GFV (see below); guess those latter figures might give a rough indication as to the extra you can expect to receive if your car's loaded with options as opposed to poverty spec? The difference is unlikely to be thousands though and it's quite sobering to see how many extras add precisely nothing to the GFV....

http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtop...d0010e438a9616
Yes,if you follow that it's a depressing view of the after market value of options.
However, his figures relate to the end of a 4 year PCP...but to a one year old car I'm not sure how it would differ?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 12:26 PM   #4
M2Andy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01

I chop and change all the time and yes it’s a expensive habit/hobby but you can help yourself by buying with a good discount, getting desirable options and, if intending on selling trade, getting rid at the right time.

My experience has been that this ideal time is within the first year as Bmw stand more chance of marketing your car as a nearly new one thus top dollar.

For non-forum clued up people walking in off the street, it appears to them they’re getting a bargain when in fact they’re paying pretty much the same price I bought new with the discount.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 04:00 PM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobb View Post
I don't believe it would make much difference. The value of options fall off a cliff the moment you drive off the forecourt.
All to the benefit of the used car buyer.

Personally I wouldn't option a new car, if I was only going to keep it for a year or so. I'll add a caveat, unless prepared to simply throw money away.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 04:36 PM   #6
XK140
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobb View Post
Why not use the car valuation feature on the What Car website?
That's one source.Come to think of it don't most of the trade use the CAP values?
I suppose I'm looking for the best price disposal (aren't we all) and realising that it will just be a lot of work to find it.
WBAC!
Tootle
Local Dealers etc,etc

Might not bother!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 06:03 PM   #7
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

If you are looking for the "best price disposal" then sell it private. Look what they go for with the same options/mileage/condition/age and judge your price from that.

Otherwise its WBAC for a more or less guaranteed price, but probably lower than you'd hoped.

I wouldn't bother relying on dealer trade-ins for your "best price disposal" figure as these vary so much. eg if you are buying a new car with a big discount you'll probably be offered next to sod all for yours. Of course if you buy a new car with no discount you will get a good trade-in.
My point is, so far as a dealer trade-in goes, its all about the deal you'll get rather than the price yours is worth.

Just keep an eye on WBAC each month to track its percentage loss.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 03:25 AM   #8
XK140
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
If you are looking for the "best price disposal" then sell it private. Look what they go for with the same options/mileage/condition/age and judge your price from that.

Otherwise its WBAC for a more or less guaranteed price, but probably lower than you'd hoped.

I wouldn't bother relying on dealer trade-ins for your "best price disposal" figure as these vary so much. eg if you are buying a new car with a big discount you'll probably be offered next to sod all for yours. Of course if you buy a new car with no discount you will get a good trade-in.
My point is, so far as a dealer trade-in goes, its all about the deal you'll get rather than the price yours is worth.

Just keep an eye on WBAC each month to track its percentage loss.
Agreed,I'll do that with WBAC to give me the trend.

I can also use MIke Brewer.Very local to us and have sold two cars to them in the past.Better price than WBAC and a reasonable experience.

(No sign of the man himself,sadly...or is that happily? )
Appreciate 0