F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > f36 suspension overhaul
Studio RSR

05-28-2023, 01:34 AM   #1
tw12321
Rep
Drives: 428i Gc 550i B7

Ml performance had a good deal with free shipping so bit the bullet on a kw-v3 kit. Wondering if there is other recommendations to do at the same time suspension wise. Currently car is equipped with 704 m suspension. Probably will run kw at the low end of their suggested range rather than try to slam it down too much.

Considered and read control arms is a popular one at the same time, but 30k miles ago I snapped a strut on a freeway on-ramp pot hole, had to get tension struts and gear assy replaced after that fiasco per the records I could pull on phone, however I am confused as looking at diagrams that looks like the same thing as the lower control arm to me? If they only dealt with the broken side would it be worth redoing both now?

Think I’m passing on camber plates as mixed reviews and the metal on metal noise people have complained about. Just wondering if I’m missing something or what else to knock out while coil over is being installed.

2016 f36 78k miles
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 11:12 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

At 78K miles, it would be prudent to inspect all suspension parts with rubber bushings and replace them. KW V3 coilovers have independent compression and rebound adjustments - so you will be able to tune the suspension to your exact preferences. Nice choice!
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2023, 09:24 AM   #3
tw12321
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
At 78K miles, it would be prudent to inspect all suspension parts with rubber bushings and replace them. KW V3 coilovers have independent compression and rebound adjustments - so you will be able to tune the suspension to your exact preferences. Nice choice!
Guess deal was too good to be true last week 🤣 got an email saying it was mismarked by a few hundred. Not the biggest deal other than saying lead time is mid august. Canceled the order for now, not sure I want to wait 2+ months. Guess it might be back to drawing board for what to get but that’s the one I kept coming back to
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 11:44 AM   #4
lpaulodt
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F36 440i LCI

You can’t go wrong with KW.
Also coming from 704m, I’ve recently put a set of KW V3 clubsport in my 440i and was one of the best things I did on par with the m perf LSD!
I tracked the car last weekend and it felt awesome, planted!

I would strongly recommend to grind a notch on the rear spring perch for easy height adjustment (just research a bit about and you will understand).
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 04:24 AM   #5
jamborees
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Ran a set of V3's on my CSL back in the day. They were great allrounders, decent road manners and then they could switch it on at the track too! I think you'll be pleased, that's going to be a dramatic change for the better.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 11:51 AM   #6
tw12321
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamborees View Post
Ran a set of V3's on my CSL back in the day. They were great allrounders, decent road manners and then they could switch it on at the track too! I think you'll be pleased, that's going to be a dramatic change for the better.
Yea I canceled the order bc they said delivery would be mid august and have tried to shop around. Trying to find any sooner is not proving to be fruitful everyone is 6-8 weeks minimum. Same applies with the V2. Seems the only thing I can get quicker than that is v1 or ST. I guess I’m just kinda stumped on what to do, wait that long or go with a cheaper version be it one of those or something else. Have been reading a lot of comparisons but struggling to make up my mind. I do like the 704 m sport drive feel, sure it could be better on rough roads and that is my hope for a new set up, but mainly want the lowering and less body roll in new set up and am not willing to/scared of putting some cheaper version on if it means having the ride quality not be at a minimum as good as 704 m sport, preferably better. If I’m going cheaper that’s why I lean towards the twin tube v1 or STs rather than the B14 or something but I really am struggling to feel confident that it will still be better than the stock drive quality. Granted I am definitely unaware what to expect from any of these as I havnt ridden in any cars that have these coil overs unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 07:35 PM   #7
tw12321
Rep

Alright well finally got around to this. Ended up getting m3 upper and lower control arms with the f3x bushings from flexpower. Also ST XA were "in stock ready to ship" so just took my medicine and went with these as the v3's continue to just push back lead time as the days go by. Wondering if end links must be done now as well or to maybe wait till I get all of this installed and maybe do the end links down the road should I upgrade front and back sway bars in the future?

edit: one side note is does anyone know the size of the adjustment nut on rear dampers? Looking to order adjustment extensions but having a hard time tracking down which size nut I need
Appreciate 0