F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B58TU1 HPFP Woes, Odd Drivetrain error, Possible Sensor Issue?
GetBMWParts

05-27-2021, 09:59 PM   #1
cxmplex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i GT

B58TU1 HPFP Woes, Odd Drivetrain error, Possible Sensor Issue?

So, basically I installed the B58TU1 pump. I messed up the install a bit (sheared one of the screws https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1802494), and had a BMW dealership fix it. I've been getting these issues since.

Now here's the issue. The car will go into limp mode and throw a drivetrain issue error. The actual codes and situations in which they are thrown:

1. Cold start

It will go into limp mode after ~2-3 minutes of idling after the cold start high rpm idle finishes.

11AC02 - High pressure fuel system, plausibillity cold start: Pressure too low.

-DME shadow (inactive) codes -
11A030 - Low-pressure fuel system, electric fuel pump, adapation: Adaptation value outside valid range.
11A401 - Fuel high pressure during fuel injection release: Pressure too low
11AA08 - High-pressure fuel sytem: Pressure reduction too high
11B401 - Fuel high pressure or after enabling injection (2nd ambient condition set after delay): Pressure too low
21A026 - Combustion engine: Abnormal ignition key or automatic engine start-stop function start detected

If I clear the code using MHD, it will raise the idle RPM out of limp mode, and then operate normally.

If I delete cold starts using MHD, the car will idle fine, and not throw any codes.

2. 8th Gear ECO mode

When releasing the throttle in 8th gear in ECO mode, ECO mode will drop the RPM while coasting. This causes a drivetrain error for me

3. High throttle pulls at 6th and 8th gear, at near or full throttle, I will throw a drivetrain error around 4000 RPM.

If I clear the code using MHD, I can generally continue driving at high-speeds without issue.

--------------------------------------

Is this a sensor issue? It seems unlikely as it happened after I botched my initial HPFP install and had it fixed. It's just very bizzarre however. I can run the car normally 90% of the time, and only get these drivetrain failures on occassion.

Is this a LPFP issue? I don't see any fuel leaking at the HPFP, and I checked the LPFP line and it's torque'd properly, but I did note that code regarding the LPFP adaptation value
      05-28-2021, 01:03 PM   #2
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Do you have any logs? If you have a lpfp issue then it will also show low hpfp pressure codes. So to me you should start by addressing the lpfp code.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 03:50 PM   #3
cxmplex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Do you have any logs? If you have a lpfp issue then it will also show low hpfp pressure codes. So to me you should start by addressing the lpfp code.
Here’s a cold start log where the drivetrain malfunction triggered

https://datazap.me/u/cxmplex/drivetrain-malfunction?log=0&data=4-27
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 03:52 PM   #4
cxmplex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Looks like not enough pressure is being reached? Only code thrown this time was 11AC02. After clearing it, I got the shadow code 11A030 for the LPFP.

If this is due to a bad install, what exactly would cause a lack of pressure? Is it alignment of the pump? One of the rail attachments? Or could it be a LPFP issue causing the HPFP to not have enough pressure? Could this just be a bad OTS map? The required pressure seems a little strange to me.

Last edited by cxmplex; 05-28-2021 at 04:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 07:30 AM   #5
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxmplex View Post
Looks like not enough pressure is being reached? Only code thrown this time was 11AC02. After clearing it, I got the shadow code 11A030 for the LPFP.

If this is due to a bad install, what exactly would cause a lack of pressure? Is it alignment of the pump? One of the rail attachments? Or could it be a LPFP issue causing the HPFP to not have enough pressure? Could this just be a bad OTS map? The required pressure seems a little strange to me.
Potentially a leak at one of the lines. run your fingers under the nuts that you screwed onto the fuel rail/fuel pump and see if they are wet.

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you start the car? Should sound like an electronic whirring sound.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 03:18 PM   #6
cxmplex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Potentially a leak at one of the lines. run your fingers under the nuts that you screwed onto the fuel rail/fuel pump and see if they are wet.

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you start the car? Should sound like an electronic whirring sound.
I felt along the lines, as well as removed the strut brace and plastic pieces and followed the LPFP line all the way. Doesn’t seem to be any leak. It only fails at idle cold start and 8th gear.

Do you know if I can claim the parts warranty on this HPFP if that ends up being the issue? I’m guessing no since I installed it in a car other than the one it was intended to be in. Also, yes I can hear it priming, I often let it prime for a bit to help with these issues

I also have another sensor on its way just in case.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 08:22 AM   #7
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
I felt along the lines, as well as removed the strut brace and plastic pieces and followed the LPFP line all the way. Doesn’t seem to be any leak. It only fails at idle cold start and 8th gear.

Do you know if I can claim the parts warranty on this HPFP if that ends up being the issue? I’m guessing no since I installed it in a car other than the one it was intended to be in. Also, yes I can hear it priming, I often let it prime for a bit to help with these issues

I also have another sensor on its way just in case.
Did you buy it from a dealer? All OEM parts include a 12mo warranty but not sure about the replacement process.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 12:07 PM   #8
cxmplex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you buy it from a dealer? All OEM parts include a 12mo warranty but not sure about the replacement process.
Technically yeah. I bought it from getbmwparts, and they’re technically a dealer I believe. Also when actually driving the car, my required pressure is matching my actual pressure. It’s only idle and 8th that gives me issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 11:12 AM   #9
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Do you still have your old fuel pump? Could you swap that back in and retune and see if the problem goes away? That would allow you to eliminate the fuel pump as the issue.
      02-04-2022, 06:28 AM   #10
MeByName
Rep
Drives: BMW 340IX

Quote:
So, basically I installed the B58TU1 pump. I messed up the install a bit (sheared one of the screws https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1802494), and had a BMW dealership fix it. I've been getting these issues since.

Now here's the issue. The car will go into limp mode and throw a drivetrain issue error. The actual codes and situations in which they are thrown:

1. Cold start

It will go into limp mode after ~2-3 minutes of idling after the cold start high rpm idle finishes.

11AC02 - High pressure fuel system, plausibillity cold start: Pressure too low.

-DME shadow (inactive) codes -
11A030 - Low-pressure fuel system, electric fuel pump, adapation: Adaptation value outside valid range.
11A401 - Fuel high pressure during fuel injection release: Pressure too low
11AA08 - High-pressure fuel sytem: Pressure reduction too high
11B401 - Fuel high pressure or after enabling injection (2nd ambient condition set after delay): Pressure too low
21A026 - Combustion engine: Abnormal ignition key or automatic engine start-stop function start detected

If I clear the code using MHD, it will raise the idle RPM out of limp mode, and then operate normally.

If I delete cold starts using MHD, the car will idle fine, and not throw any codes.

2. 8th Gear ECO mode

When releasing the throttle in 8th gear in ECO mode, ECO mode will drop the RPM while coasting. This causes a drivetrain error for me

3. High throttle pulls at 6th and 8th gear, at near or full throttle, I will throw a drivetrain error around 4000 RPM.

If I clear the code using MHD, I can generally continue driving at high-speeds without issue.

--------------------------------------

Is this a sensor issue? It seems unlikely as it happened after I botched my initial HPFP install and had it fixed. It's just very bizzarre however. I can run the car normally 90% of the time, and only get these drivetrain failures on occassion.

Is this a LPFP issue? I don't see any fuel leaking at the HPFP, and I checked the LPFP line and it's torque'd properly, but I did note that code regarding the LPFP adaptation value

Experiencing same atm. First it was related to misfire and now throwing error 11A030. Have you managed to fix it?
I am thinking about fuel tank ventilation system.
Appreciate 1
snifflz13.50
      10-19-2022, 03:22 PM   #11
RJ019
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Low Mount ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeByName View Post
Experiencing same atm. First it was related to misfire and now throwing error 11A030. Have you managed to fix it?
I am thinking about fuel tank ventilation system.
Hi man, did you sort your issue out? What was it?
Appreciate 0