F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > carbon clean?
Studio RSR

07-19-2019, 04:22 AM   #1
ads_ali
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D xDrive MSportE90 320d

carbon clean?

hi

Has anyone had carbon clean(inject hydrogen) into the inlet system? Has it actually made a difference? I have read a number of reviews and everyone seems to rave about how the engine is smoother and has more power.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 09:47 AM   #2
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

I'm very sceptical that this can have any meaningful effect

I don't know if you're talking about carbon build up in a direct injection petrol engine which arises due to a lack of petrol washing the ports or diesel engines where the cause is EGR depositing carbon

If you've ever tried to clean a diesel inlet manifold you have to conclude that a few minutes of running hydrogen or whatever snake oil is used isnt going to be able to clean this

For petrol engines the cure is to walnut blast the inlet ports. I think for diesel engines it's soaking the inlet manifold with something very caustic and mechanical removal of all the shite

I'm willing to be proved wrong with anyone with proper evidence but I just dont see how any long lasting or meaningful improvement can come about with this sort of 'treatment'
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #3
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Total waste of money.

If the inlet ports are coked, walnut blasting is the tried and tested cure. If the inlet manifold is coked, it will need to be completely removed and cleaned with an appropriate agent - caustic soda, or similar.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 03:19 AM   #4
thescouselander
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquartch View Post
I'm very sceptical that this can have any meaningful effect

I don't know if you're talking about carbon build up in a direct injection petrol engine which arises due to a lack of petrol washing the ports or diesel engines where the cause is EGR depositing carbon

If you've ever tried to clean a diesel inlet manifold you have to conclude that a few minutes of running hydrogen or whatever snake oil is used isnt going to be able to clean this

For petrol engines the cure is to walnut blast the inlet ports. I think for diesel engines it's soaking the inlet manifold with something very caustic and mechanical removal of all the shite

I'm willing to be proved wrong with anyone with proper evidence but I just dont see how any long lasting or meaningful improvement can come about with this sort of 'treatment'
It's the EGR that causes the problems in all cases. Modern petrol engines aren't too bad as they now use internal EGR methods and they produce less soot to begin with.

Diesels on the other hand produces loads of soot, have more blowby gasses from the crank case and larger EGR volume which adds up to a whole load of gunk The fix is walnut blasting in that case.

To give a feel for the rate of gunk buildup check out the throttle body from my previous Mazda after only 20000 miles - I'm told this is typical for diesels of any brand. Either way I can't see how hydrogen would remove that lot. That put me off diesel for good.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0