F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > bootmod3 for BMW F series Vehicles - General Discussion
Studio RSR

01-10-2019, 10:20 PM   #2047
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin.328 View Post
Theres plenty of tuners for stock ecus with million more features all of them around $500. My hondata had all those features plus more. I was able to set 2step at w.e. rpm i wanted, traction control, boost by gear, aux input/output through factory ecu and a user friendly interface. Ive also dealt with higher hp cars and used haltec,aem and hondata. All of them vastly superior. Im not hating on mhd or bm3 but its just surprising to me how far behind we are compared to other platforms.
AEM and Haltec are in a whole different category since they are standalones.

The BMW ECU has been very difficult to crack but now that tuners have access the features you mention I am sure some will be made available as time goes on.

PS not every end user knows how to do changes on a stand-alone ECU.
To me both stock ecus and standalones have their pros and cons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
This is so confusing to me. These tunes are advertised as having OEM like smoothness and better than piggybacks in terms of power delivery, yet I'm CONSTANTLY reading posts on the BM3 and MHD threads that "x" revision made the power delivery smoother. I don't understand because I thought from the intro of these flashes, the delivery was OEM smooth. Now as time goes on and people drive around with these flash tunes for extended periods, it sure sounds to me like they can have, at least to some extent, the sometimes wonky, non-linear, and inconsistent power delivery of a piggyback and lag on 6MT shifts.

I've run the Dinan Sport on my M235 6MT for nearly a year and currently have it turned off because even in the Sport setting (~2 psi), it makes the throttle too rapid that it's hard to start smoothly in 1st and sometimes on the 1-2. This issue got worse as time goes on. I can reset the throttle, but it still comes back after a few weeks. It sure sounds like 6MT owners are reporting these minor issues with their flash tunes too. I'm starting to think the Valvetronic system doesn't play well when you up the boost on the 6MT when it comes to part-throttle normal driving. After driving around on the stock MPPK tune, I'm extremely impressed at well sorted and smooth the power delivery is and how easy it is to drive softly or in anger.

Am I misreading this? I've been modding cars since the late 1990s and have spent a ton of money on mods, many of them not being remotely as good as advertised or claimed by those on internet forums, much less the manufacturers. I've learned that most mod you do will have compromises. I just hope that if I flash tune, the car doesn't have the same driveability issues as I've experienced with the Dinan Sport because that would be frustrating. I value a good driving experience over sheer power and compromised driveability.
BM3 has been great in my 6 spd MT EWG 335i I have found nothing strange about my stg 2 93 octane tune ever cruise nor WOT. Had the tune not even 5 months no complaints.

Last edited by ceedawg; 01-10-2019 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 06:51 AM   #2048
Martin.328
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 6mt 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post
AEM and Haltec are in a whole different category since they are standalones.

The BMW ECU has been very difficult to crack but now that tuners have access the features you mention I am sure some will be made available as time goes on.

PS not every end user knows how to do changes on a stand-alone ECU.
To me both stock ecus and standalones have their pros and cons.

Im not talking about standalones, I was just stating that I have experience with them. I mentioned hondata and other dme flashers like those for ford and gm vehicles. And i think most people who are tuning their car would want the option to set something like launch rpm over just burbles, the more options the better. .
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 09:06 AM   #2049
ceedawg
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin.328 View Post
Im not talking about standalones, I was just stating that I have experience with them. I mentioned hondata and other dme flashers like those for ford and gm vehicles. And i think most people who are tuning their car would want the option to set something like launch rpm over just burbles, the more options the better. .
OK Gotcha
I think the things you mentioned will happen in time whether it be MHD or BM3. Revisions have been coming out timely and fast over the past say year to year in a half.The stock ECU just presents so many pain in the ass challenges,not disagreeing with you but I'm sure it will happen. Hopefully soon. However, right now, as is, I love what I have till I go big turbo and fuel mods. Then I'd be interested in a 2 step as well. So I am anxious to see future revisions with this platform as they learn the other ins and outs of the DME.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 09:19 AM   #2050
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Hey guys quick question. Hoping someone with a bit more knowledge can answer. I'm heading into the dealer to have a few maintenance items done on Monday and was planning to flash to stock and lock DME. I've been working with Cary on a custom tune for a few weeks and was wondering if I did this would it ruin anything with the custom tune he's been working on, or will I just be able to unlock and flash back to the custom tune when complete?
      01-11-2019, 10:00 AM   #2051
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
Hey guys quick question. Hoping someone with a bit more knowledge can answer. I'm heading into the dealer to have a few maintenance items done on Monday and was planning to flash to stock and lock DME. I've been working with Cary on a custom tune for a few weeks and was wondering if I did this would it ruin anything with the custom tune he's been working on, or will I just be able to unlock and flash back to the custom tune when complete?

You'll be fine, just unlock and choose the map you'd like to flash (including custom map)

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #2052
NWest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWest View Post
Just updated from 6.1 to 6.3 tonight, and the delivery is noticeably smoother to me also.
This is so confusing to me. These tunes are advertised as having OEM like smoothness and better than piggybacks in terms of power delivery, yet I'm CONSTANTLY reading posts on the BM3 and MHD threads that "x" revision made the power delivery smoother. I don't understand because I thought from the intro of these flashes, the delivery was OEM smooth. Now as time goes on and people drive around with these flash tunes for extended periods, it sure sounds to me like they can have, at least to some extent, the sometimes wonky, non-linear, and inconsistent power delivery of a piggyback and lag on 6MT shifts.

I've run the Dinan Sport on my M235 6MT for nearly a year and currently have it turned off because even in the Sport setting (~2 psi), it makes the throttle too rapid that it's hard to start smoothly in 1st and sometimes on the 1-2. This issue got worse as time goes on. I can reset the throttle, but it still comes back after a few weeks. It sure sounds like 6MT owners are reporting these minor issues with their flash tunes too. I'm starting to think the Valvetronic system doesn't play well when you up the boost on the 6MT when it comes to part-throttle normal driving. After driving around on the stock MPPK tune, I'm extremely impressed at well sorted and smooth the power delivery is and how easy it is to drive softly or in anger.

Am I misreading this? I've been modding cars since the late 1990s and have spent a ton of money on mods, many of them not being remotely as good as advertised or claimed by those on internet forums, much less the manufacturers. I've learned that most mod you do will have compromises. I just hope that if I flash tune, the car doesn't have the same driveability issues as I've experienced with the Dinan Sport because that would be frustrating. I value a good driving experience over sheer power and compromised driveability.
What I mean is that with v6.1, power came on around 2300RPM more noticeably, once I flashed to v6.3, the delivery of that power felt smoother and more linear.

It's very subjective with these reviews IMHO, all I can report is my experience with my 6MT car, so take it for what that's worth.

I've had nothing but a good experience so far with my stage 1 91 BM3 tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 06:15 PM   #2053
Martin.328
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 6mt 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post
OK Gotcha
I think the things you mentioned will happen in time whether it be MHD or BM3. Revisions have been coming out timely and fast over the past say year to year in a half.The stock ECU just presents so many pain in the ass challenges,not disagreeing with you but I'm sure it will happen. Hopefully soon. However, right now, as is, I love what I have till I go big turbo and fuel mods. Then I'd be interested in a 2 step as well. So I am anxious to see future revisions with this platform as they learn the other ins and outs of the DME.
Yea i didnt mean to bash if thats how it came out, im very happy with my mhd and jb4. Car fes strong and more importantly drives perfect. Im actually excited for features to be implemented.

Last edited by Martin.328; 01-11-2019 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 08:24 AM   #2054
ceedawg
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWest View Post
What I mean is that with v6.1, power came on around 2300RPM more noticeably, once I flashed to v6.3, the delivery of that power felt smoother and more linear.

It's very subjective with these reviews IMHO, all I can report is my experience with my 6MT car, so take it for what that's worth.

I've had nothing but a good experience so far with my stage 1 91 BM3 tune.
I flashed my 6 speed yesterday to 6.3 and I really have not noticed a difference. Rides the same and has always been smooth. Still accelerates nice on the hwy.
      01-12-2019, 12:32 PM   #2055
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I'm pretty sure the changes in 6.2 in regards to smoothness only affected a small portion of users with a specific ROM.
Appreciate 1
ceedawg467.50
      01-13-2019, 06:38 PM   #2056
jv004
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Hey guys, I'm still noob/learning datalogging, did a short drive test today. Can someone familiar with datalogging tell me if this log looks ok.

Was caught in windy heavy rain last Sunday, but that was the same weekend I switch to v6.3. Noticed my turbo spool is quite louder (no whine), don't know if it's the v6.3 or windy rain that knocked a fitting out place just enough for boost leak. Or it's just in my head and paranoid lol Car pulls strong though and no codes. But i'm not familiar yet to decode datalogs yet to spot something out of the ordinary.

http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5c3bd13fc090c666c88c3b2d

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 10:02 AM   #2057
mark_tdot
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi - M-Performance

Flashed from 6.1 to 6.3 over the weekend and car feels like it pulls stronger both off the line and on the hwy.

No complaints!

Car is a 2015 335xi with downpipe, fmic, and charge pipe - Stage 2 93 OCT (AGG)
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 01:52 AM   #2058
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: m135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jv004 View Post
Hey guys, I'm still noob/learning datalogging, did a short drive test today. Can someone familiar with datalogging tell me if this log looks ok.

Was caught in windy heavy rain last Sunday, but that was the same weekend I switch to v6.3. Noticed my turbo spool is quite louder (no whine), don't know if it's the v6.3 or windy rain that knocked a fitting out place just enough for boost leak. Or it's just in my head and paranoid lol Car pulls strong though and no codes. But i'm not familiar yet to decode datalogs yet to spot something out of the ordinary.

http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5c3bd13fc090c666c88c3b2d

Thanks guys!
correct me if im wrong but how are you doing 27psi on the stock turbo? i thought the limit before it blew was like low 20s?

'14 F20 M135i EWG FBO:// INJEN INTAKE // PURE INLET// TURBOSMART BOV DUAL PORT //
//CSF INTERCOOLER // ER CP // SNOW S2.5 METH KIT // B58TU HPFP // NGK 97506 // ER DP // TMSS MID PIPE //MPE // MPBBK // UR STRUT BRACE // BM3 CUSTOM JORDAN E85 TUNE // XHP STAGE 3 //
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 02:36 AM   #2059
jv004
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

^ subtract ambient pressure to get actual boost i believe. Think I'll recheck my fittings once it stops raining, Think I have a boost leak somewhere

Last edited by jv004; 01-15-2019 at 02:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 04:40 PM   #2060
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

UPDATE:

Apps for iOS and Android are available on their respective App Stores as well as an updated OBD Agent (0.10.046) have been released.

Updates include:
- New dashboard layout (more updates coming here soon..)
- Additional OTS map updates for S55 with OPF/PPF filters
- TCU stock reflash updates for M2C and other S55s
- Various N55 EWG/PWG updates based on end-user feedback
- Online recode button is going away soon. Version 46 of the OBD Agent is now making this seldom used option unnecessary.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 08:00 AM   #2061
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C MT, '15 X5 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
UPDATE:

Apps for iOS and Android are available on their respective App Stores as well as an updated OBD Agent (0.10.046) have been released.

Updates include:
- New dashboard layout (more updates coming here soon..)
- Additional OTS map updates for S55 with OPF/PPF filters
- TCU stock reflash updates for M2C and other S55s
- Various N55 EWG/PWG updates based on end-user feedback
- Online recode button is going away soon. Version 46 of the OBD Agent is now making this seldom used option unnecessary.
The update looks prettier, but it is buggy. See my iphone 8 screenshot.

Upper right, something weird going on with the top part of the "-0.08"

Lower left, missing gauge. Whenever the Engine Speed gauge goes to 6 numbers (XXXX.XX), it pushes the lower left gauge off the screen. It would constantly appear and disappear off the screen.

In general, something that has driven my nuts since I got BM3, is the decimal spots. Great for some parameters like boost and lower numeric items, but pointless for RPM and other values I don't need that granularity on like IAT, speed, etc... Beyond that, is there anyway to make the decimal places fixed? The screen look neurotic when sometimes the RPM has 2 decimal places and sometimes is doesn't.

Yes I'm nitpicking an otherwise great product I'm very happy with. Thanks for all the efforts guys.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
akgambino271.50
      01-17-2019, 08:48 AM   #2062
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

Thank you for reporting this. Best would be to send in an email to support@protuningfreaks.com with your screenshot and device details and we'll look into it.

Lots more updates coming to dash customization as well including the ability to set precision on numbers very soon
Appreciate 2
stlb5217.00
akgambino271.50
      01-17-2019, 01:38 PM   #2063
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlb5 View Post
The update looks prettier, but it is buggy. See my iphone 8 screenshot.

Upper right, something weird going on with the top part of the "-0.08"

Lower left, missing gauge. Whenever the Engine Speed gauge goes to 6 numbers (XXXX.XX), it pushes the lower left gauge off the screen. It would constantly appear and disappear off the screen.

In general, something that has driven my nuts since I got BM3, is the decimal spots. Great for some parameters like boost and lower numeric items, but pointless for RPM and other values I don't need that granularity on like IAT, speed, etc... Beyond that, is there anyway to make the decimal places fixed? The screen look neurotic when sometimes the RPM has 2 decimal places and sometimes is doesn't.

Yes I'm nitpicking an otherwise great product I'm very happy with. Thanks for all the efforts guys.
Same issues here on my iPhone 8 Plus. I opened up a ticket but I'm sure they are aware.
      01-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #2064
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Same issues here on my iPhone 8 Plus. I opened up a ticket but I'm sure they are aware.
Did the same and got a reply back that they are working on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 01:17 AM   #2065
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: m135i

Quote:
same issues on my iphone x, should i open a ticket or I'm sure they are already aware of this?

'14 F20 M135i EWG FBO:// INJEN INTAKE // PURE INLET// TURBOSMART BOV DUAL PORT //
//CSF INTERCOOLER // ER CP // SNOW S2.5 METH KIT // B58TU HPFP // NGK 97506 // ER DP // TMSS MID PIPE //MPE // MPBBK // UR STRUT BRACE // BM3 CUSTOM JORDAN E85 TUNE // XHP STAGE 3 //
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 03:46 AM   #2066
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristosD View Post
Quote:
same issues on my iphone x, should i open a ticket or I'm sure they are already aware of this?
Nah I wouldn't bother. I'm sure they're working on it.
      01-21-2019, 11:48 AM   #2067
Waltabeast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i M sport

Hey guys, under which circumstances would someone want to hit “reset all” on learned adaptions?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 09:01 PM   #2068
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
Thank you for reporting this. Best would be to send in an email to support@protuningfreaks.com with your screenshot and device details and we'll look into it.

Lots more updates coming to dash customization as well including the ability to set precision on numbers very soon
Just saw the Instagram post! F'ing brilliant!!!!! Nicely done guys!
Appreciate 0