F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F32 Knock from drivers side over bumps 435i
Studio RSR

01-15-2019, 04:46 AM   #1
ZoranTerzic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f32 435i

Hi guys
I've noticed these knocks when going over reflectors on the street over the drivers side wheel.
I also hear the knock when reversing out of driveways with lock on the wheel in either direction.
It's not too bad but I've noticed it's getting worse over time. The car has just come out of warranty so I'm nervous to take it in to BMW.
I've taken it in earlier when I first bought the car but they could never replicate the fault when they had it.
I feel after putting in H&R springs it's gotten worse over these 3 months.
It's really noticeable when doing a 3 point turn on a hill - especially when reversing.
Anyone else find a fix or common fault?

The knock is only when stationary or reversing or when going over rigid speed bumps/reflectors on the road.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 08:36 AM   #2
_tlink
Guy with a car
Rep
Drives: 15' 435i Msport

Get a flash light and take the wheel off. Inspect the suspension to see if you have any components that look worn or broken. Blown dampeners on my old e90 used to rattle over bumps at low speeds, suspension felt normal-ish since it was a stiffer suspension, may be the same case for you since the H&R springs are very stiff. You may have worn them some time ago and you became adapt to the ride. Just some 2 cents from my past experiences, hopefully this can point you in the right direction
15' 435i BSM on CR // BM3 Stage 2 93 OTS // NGK Plugs Gapped 0.023" // VRSF Catless DP // CTS Turbo Intake, CP, FMIC // AWE Tuning w/ Perf. Midpipe // BC Racing BR Coilovers // Apex EC-7 // Michelin PS4S // Plus a shit load of carbon
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 08:07 PM   #3
ZoranTerzic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f32 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tlink View Post
Get a flash light and take the wheel off. Inspect the suspension to see if you have any components that look worn or broken. Blown dampeners on my old e90 used to rattle over bumps at low speeds, suspension felt normal-ish since it was a stiffer suspension, may be the same case for you since the H&R springs are very stiff. You may have worn them some time ago and you became adapt to the ride. Just some 2 cents from my past experiences, hopefully this can point you in the right direction
Thank you mate, when I've got some time I'll check ☺️
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 05:33 AM   #4
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

I have a clunk when going on a bump where the left wheel goes on in a POT Hole or Raised Bump before passenger wheel.
if both wheels at the same time, then all good, no noise of any kind.

First find out if you have a recall for the steering rack or not?
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...=876523&page=8

second: see this video for possible fix. The Company that sells this wants a 90 USD for this tool. Trying to get BMW Locally do tighten it or repair it for 1 hour labour.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 08:28 AM   #5
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Sounds like a broken swap bar link. It's meant to hold the car flat, but if it's broken, the link separates and then bangs back together in the other direction.

Had a similar issue on my Chevy pickup once.
Appreciate 0