F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Losing grip / Wiggly Rear LCI 330i Under Hard Acceleration
Extreme Powerhouse

04-02-2017, 07:06 AM   #1
Elkawass
Private
Egypt
Rep
Drives: DeepSeaBlue LCI 330i 2016 Lux

Losing grip / Wiggly Rear LCI 330i Under Hard Acceleration

Good Day Everyone,

I have noticed that my F30_LCI_330i loses traction and the rear wheels '' floats lightly '' when I floor the gas pedal !! this happens mostly in SPORT and SPORT+ when I drive aggressively,

Wonder if that the normal case for standard RWD with relatively high power like a 330i ,
Do a LSD solve this ?
Or maybe I need to get wider tires (now I have square setup 18''- 225 - 45

Cheers ...
      04-02-2017, 07:12 AM   #2
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
get better tires
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 07:15 AM   #3
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkawass View Post
Good Day Everyone,

I have noticed that my F30_LCI_330i loses traction and the rear wheels '' floats lightly '' when I floor the gas pedal !! this happens mostly in SPORT and SPORT+ when I drive aggressively,

Wonder if that the normal case for standard RWD with relatively high power like a 330i ,
Do a LSD solve this ?
Or maybe I need to get wider tires (now I have square setup 18''- 225 - 45

Cheers ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandog View Post
get better tires
+1. You don't need "wider" tires. You need stickier tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 08:26 AM   #4
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Sport plus will let the rear end break lose. Be careful in +

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 1
Bbb34730.50
      04-02-2017, 08:38 AM   #5
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

LSD also helps, as would slicks. But yeah, Mich new PS4S would be a good tire choice. If you're making some real power, an LSD should be on your list. If you get those and the rear is still breaking free when you don't want it to, HPDE to learn about car control is a great choice.

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 09:39 AM   #6
Elkawass
Private
Egypt
Rep

Thank you all for replying,
So it's getting better tires seems like the solution for this ... my current tires are GoodYear ..

Michelin will give better grip?
      04-02-2017, 10:08 AM   #7
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkawass View Post
Thank you all for replying,
So it's getting better tires seems like the solution for this ... my current tires are GoodYear ..

Michelin will give better grip?
those goodyear tires are shit, just garbage on so many different levels.

it depends on which Michelin you get. the eagles and pilot super sports are very good. I would also look into yokohama but the general consensus is that the Michelin is the best out right now.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #8
Elkawass
Private
Egypt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post

it depends on which Michelin you get. the eagles and pilot super sports are very good. I would also look into yokohama but the general consensus is that the Michelin is the best out right now.
Thanks Man,

Will check other options and ditch the GY...
      04-02-2017, 10:56 AM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Yeah, that's why it's the only tire used in NASCAR.

OP, it's not the brand, it's the tire. Judging by your location you have no need for all seasons. Look at the ratings for summer performance tires in various sites, like this:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/types...t.jsp?perf=UHP

Be aware of the date of any postings. Anything more than 3 years old is probably no longer relevant.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 11:34 AM   #10
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
t.
Are teams free to choose any tire manufacturer in NASCAR and so all teams only choose those? Sorry, not familiar as i watch F1 and other street-type racing where, at times, a single tire manufacturer is chosen by the rules committee to keep all teams on equal tire grip potential. I assume those NASCAR tires are street legal, right?

Ok, with that complete nonesense out of the way, the Michelin are generally the best grip street legal tire. Yes have tried Pirelli P Zero and others.

BTW, still recommend an LSD as open diff are not something NASACR, or any high-performance car for that matter, would use (in keeping with the NASCAR theme). Even with the best tires, if you have enough engine you can achieve higher power than the tire/street grip potential. This is where car control comes into play.

JMHO YMMV

PS: When buying new tires check their date code. Anything over a year old i'd punt, as tires have a limited life span of about five years. Sometimes you get these tire discount places that sell four year old rubber to the unsuspecting. Within the USA it is ILLEGAL for a store to sell tires that are five years old.

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.

Last edited by enjoythemusic; 04-02-2017 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 11:41 AM   #11
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:

OP, it's not the brand, it's the tire. Judging by your location you have no need for all seasons. Look at the ratings for summer performance tires in various sites, like this:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/types...t.jsp?perf=UHP

Be aware of the date of any postings. Anything more than 3 years old is probably no longer relevant.
for most manufacturers it depends on which tire the chassis is tuned to. I find that BMW's are well matched to any tire ive tried them with (bridgestone, yokohama, etc) but the M cars are tuned to michelins, I so i take it thats what you pick.

but for example,Mazda's are ridiculously well tuned to yokohamas. you can put yokos on one car and they feel generic, but on a mazda the grip and confidence, particularly in the wet is nothing short of outstanding. my dads mazda 6 with the little 2.5 is not only more nimble then the f10, but overall grip is insane if you get the nose turned in right. highway on ramps are carried through with insane speed.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 11:50 AM   #12
BMWalltheway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440xi GC AW/CR

Quote:
for most manufacturers it depends on which tire the chassis is tuned to. I find that BMW's are well matched to any tire ive tried them with (bridgestone, yokohama, etc) but the M cars are tuned to michelins, I so i take it thats what you pick.

but for example,Mazda's are ridiculously well tuned to yokohamas. you can put yokos on one car and they feel generic, but on a mazda the grip and confidence, particularly in the wet is nothing short of outstanding. my dads mazda 6 with the little 2.5 is not only more nimble then the f10, but overall grip is insane if you get the nose turned in right. highway on ramps are carried through with insane speed.
This is true in my case as well. Tried Yokohamas on my wife's CX-9 as well as a relative's Mazda 6. Its insane how the Yokos are built for a mazda. Its instant grip and confidence with them that other brands don't provide.
Appreciate 1
STR8-6IX536.00
      04-02-2017, 12:41 PM   #13
Prossx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 G82 6MT SPY/YMB

Found that the original S001 Summer RFT offered less grip than the Michelin PS A/S 3s I switched to. Counter intuitive as a Summer tire should offer more grip, right? But they were RFTs, and really easy to break loose off the line. Kind of fun actually.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 03:06 PM   #14
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Are teams free to choose any tire manufacturer in NASCAR and so all teams only choose those?
They all use the same tire. They're not street legal, they're dedicated racing tires, most with no tread for dry conditions.
The point is if Goodyear was incapable of making a good tire it would not be used by NASCAR.

Quote:
for most manufacturers it depends on which tire the chassis is tuned to. I find that BMW's are well matched to any tire ive tried them with (bridgestone, yokohama, etc) but the M cars are tuned to michelins, I so i take it thats what you pick
+1, I'd first be looking at whatever the OEM brand is that comes as the top of the line offering for the chassis.
Appreciate 1
STR8-6IX536.00
      04-02-2017, 03:35 PM   #15
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep

Quote:
They all use the same tire. They're not street legal, they're dedicated racing tires, most with no tread for dry conditions.
The point is if Goodyear was incapable of making a good tire it would not be used by NASCAR.
s.
Many thanks and was actually being a bit, well, sarcastic in my above post. A tire company pays the sanctioning race body dearly and develops a special tire(s) for the season. Still wish NASCAR raced rain or shine at all tracks, with a normal red flag if the rain is near tsunami conditions. Agree Goodyear makes some nice tires, yet for consumer road cars it seems Michelin are consistantly rated better. The new '4' is said to be truly outstanding even over their PSS, which was my go-to on previous car, and Pilot Cups on the car befor that at fhe track.

So yes agree Goodyears makes a good tire, yet being the chosen tire manufacture for a sanctioned race body means little in production street legal cars. Formulations, ultimate grip potential, tire life, etc are a different usage parameter street legal versus race track.

Have a feeling we can all agree, the run flats are not the best tires.

Am curious why LSD seems low priority to some who want driving performance. Perhaps BMW cut one too many shortcuts and should bring it back to anything 'sporty' in their lineup.

Steven
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 03:48 PM   #16
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Many thanks and was actually being a bit, well, sarcastic in my above post. A tire company pays the sanctioning race body dearly and develops a special tire(s) for the season. Still wish NASCAR raced rain or shine at all tracks, with a normal red flag if the rain is near tsunami conditions. Agree Goodyear makes some nice tires, yet for consumer road cars it seems Michelin are consistantly rated better. The new '4' is said to be truly outstanding even over their PSS, which was my go-to on previous car, and Pilot Cups on the car befor that at fhe track.

So yes agree Goodyears makes a good tire, yet being the chosen tire manufacture for a sanctioned race body means little in production street legal cars. Formulations, ultimate grip potential, tire life, etc are a different usage parameter street legal versus race track.

Am curious why LSD seems low priority to some who want driving performance. Perhaps BMW cut one too many shortcuts and should bring it back to anything 'sporty' in their lineup.
LSD is quite expensive and usually not necessary unless you live at the limit of tire grip or have good power.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 03:58 PM   #17
donkey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2

Quote:
LSD is quite expensive and usually not necessary unless you live at the limit of tire grip or have good power.
Not true. My 4 cylinder GTI has an LSD and it's awesome. My 6MT 335i doesn't and will be my next mod.

I think any sport car or sport sedan should have one from factory.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 04:49 PM   #18
2000Z3M
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive335
Quote:
Not true. My 4 cylinder GTI has an LSD and it's awesome. My 6MT 335i doesn't and will be my next mod.

your gti is wwd (wrong wheel drive) aka fwd. I have a LSD and MPSS on my 435i ZHP and i can still get loose going into 3rd
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 05:04 PM   #19
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive335 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000Z3M View Post
your gti is wwd (wrong wheel drive) aka fwd. I have a LSD and MPSS on my 435i ZHP and i can still get loose going into 3rd
LSD is by far the best "modification" I have done so far and I haven't done many because the car doesn't require many.

An LSD will allow a skilled driver to put down faster lap times because they'll be able to control the car at the limit better.

Usually your unskilled drivers (those after huge power/torque and straight line acceleration) won't care for an LSD.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 05:22 PM   #20
donkey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2

Quote:
your gti is wwd (wrong wheel drive) aka fwd.
Thanks I had no idea!

FWD isn't the death omen it used to be, especially with an LSD. No torque steer and the handling is great compared to these boats of cars.

Quote:
I have a LSD and MPSS on my 435i ZHP and i can still get loose going into 3rd
An LSD won't keep you from getting loose in the first place but it will lock up the diff to make it much more controlled and regain traction quicker. The electronic/brake assisted LSD is bs.

If you're getting loose going into 3rd maybe you need to work on your shifting
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2017, 06:04 PM   #21
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
LSD is by far the best "modification" I have done so far and I haven't done many because the car doesn't require many.

An LSD will allow a skilled driver to put down faster lap times because they'll be able to control the car at the limit better.

Usually your unskilled drivers (those after huge power/torque and straight line acceleration) won't care for an LSD.
Well said, thanks for posting. If i may, even unskilled drivers benefit as straight line with open diff can cause wheel hop, thus more easy to waste putting power to the ground. We haven't even brought up 'deep' water/snow benefits. Like you, am a bit perplexed that BMW drivers who seem to desire driving performance don't seem to understand the benefits of limited slip diff. Perhaps BMW didn't underestimate the lack of knowledge of their clients to benefit by slicing $2k off the retail price of their cars so they seem more price competitive??? Apologies, as am at a loss to explain why no LSD so am grasping at straws. Seems pretty common sense to me as a petrolhead and retired race car driver.

Steven
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 06:51 PM   #22
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
Sport plus will let the rear end break lose. Be careful in +
Can't be repeated enough, sport+ = "youtube" mode if you don't know what you're doing (not at all implying OP doesn't, just trying to reinforce the warning).

It is very inconsistent/unpredictable on how much it will "help" you, especially with anything other than ideal conditions (good tires, dry roads).
Appreciate 2
Polo088161610.00
Blubaron791431.50